PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

victoriaheidi
06-19-2011, 03:34 AM
Rachael had some kind of promotional deal and other perks of being a US Champion so if the low point in her career is publicized, it's part of the deal of being famous. It works both ways.

Lots of applicants have to justify prior mistakes when they apply to professional schools. It's very common. Rachael's situation is no different. She has and no doubt will continue to accrue impressive accomplishments to overshadow this event. And no one could realistically expect USFSA to care about some future application.

I doubt they do. But it just doesn't seem like something that a sports columnist and (essentially) fluff website needed to yell from the rafters.

IceAlisa
06-19-2011, 03:43 AM
I doubt they do. But it just doesn't seem like something that a sports columnist and (essentially) fluff website needed to yell from the rafters.

Again, comes with the territory of being famous. She reaped the benefits, she is reaping the hindrance.

Also, if anyone (and IIRC, Phil Hersh does read here) reads FSU, they know there was a considerable outcry to the Team Flatt behavior and decision making. I would imagine there may have been something similar in the skating community.

Also, when Phil Hersh is concerned, this is exactly the kind of news for him to yell from the rafters. It's his job and his story.

Mathman
06-19-2011, 03:45 AM
Rachael had some kind of promotional deal and other perks of being a US Champion so if the low point in her career is publicized, it's part of the deal of being famous. It works both ways.

When Rachael applies for graduate schools and jobs, if they ask, "Did you ever win the U.S. figure skating championship?" she can check the "yes" box.

When they ask, were you ever reprimanded and fined by the USFSA (who?) she can leave that line blank. :cool:

IceAlisa
06-19-2011, 03:49 AM
When Rachael applies for graduate schools and jobs, if they ask, "Did you ever win the U.S. figure skating championship?" she can check the "yes" box.

When they ask, were you ever reprimanded and fined by the USFSA (who?) she can leave that line blank. :cool:

If someone Googles her when she applies and this story comes up, she can always say that this was not a well-thought out decision on her part and the part of her team but she has learned her lesson, etc., etc. I know people who went to med school after having a pretty abysmal academic record in college. Then they made a turnaround, earned good grades and explained the circumstances to the admission committee. While rare, this does happen and Rachael's situation is far better than say a science GPA below 3.0.

She can always dress it up as a positive to show how driven she is and how far she can go with the self-sacrifice and enduring through pain. This will not ruin her academic career.

bek
06-19-2011, 04:08 AM
Miki skated with a severe injury at the GPF and it was very evident, but the most general reaction i think was how brave she was, not that she had kept another skater out of the finals.

You can't compare the two situations. I had no problem with Rachael or Miki competiting injured at the GPF, if they wanted to do so. At least I don't think they owed anything to the alternates etc. Worlds/Olympic spots for next year, don't hinder on one's placement at the GPF. So I had no issue whatsover with Rachael, Miki deciding they wanted to compete at GPF.

But worlds is different. It affects yourself and your teammates/Countries placement for next year. And so wanting a physically ready skater is paramount. To compare the two situations is ridiculous.

The issue isn't that Mirai definetly would have helped us get 3 spots. The issue though is Mirai would have been the better choice based on the physical state Rachael was in. Do people really think Mirai probably wouldn't have finished higher based on how dismally Rachael skated?

Its not like Rachael healthy is that much better than Mirai to begin with. So a healthier Mirai vs a Rachael who can't land a 3 lutz, would have been a no brainer for the USFSA. Maybe they would have let her compete still but they should have had that option. Rachael was given her spot based on her ability to skate at a certain level, a level she wasn't at by worlds.

RD
06-19-2011, 05:05 AM
I think AT THE TIME the world team was chosen, it was a toss-up but I think Flatt was the right decision. Once she re-injured herself (must have been after 4CC), then circumstances changed. But USFS didn't have an opportunity (or rather bypassed such opportunity) to re-evaluate the situation. I really think they should have known Flatt was at least not in top shape through athlete monitoring, even if Coach didn't say anything.

victoriaheidi
06-19-2011, 07:14 AM
I think AT THE TIME the world team was chosen, it was a toss-up but I think Flatt was the right decision. Once she re-injured herself (must have been after 4CC), then circumstances changed. But USFS didn't have an opportunity (or rather bypassed such opportunity) to re-evaluate the situation. I really think they should have known Flatt was at least not in top shape through athlete monitoring, even if Coach didn't say anything.

I wish that THIS had been the end result of the whole incident. There's still time for this to be the end result.

Vagabond
06-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Just curious, is there precedent for this in any other federations? I can't think of too many cases where high profile skaters were disciplined for any reason.

The skater who comes to mind is Evgeni Plushenko.

The first doctor Plushenko saw about his injury last year concluded that he needed to rest for a few weeks. That would have meant that Plushenko would have to miss both Worlds and at least part of his Kings on Ice tour. Plushenko then consulted a second doctor second doctor came up with a more obliging diagnosis, which apparently somehow indicated that Plushenko could skate but could skate but not do quadruple jumps or triple axels and that he could therefore perform in shows during the period the first doctor said should be given over to complete rest. If Plushenko had followed the first doctor's advice, there would not have been a violation, and hence, he would not have been disciplined by his federation.

pinky166
06-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Flatt could do away with the 3Lz if she was the #1 European lady in Europe. I don't think Kostner could medal if it was in Tokyo as planned.

Eh well actually I think she deserved to medal, she's a much better all-around skater than Leonova and even though she didn't do a 3lz she's a stronger jumper than Alissa, who also happened to have a disruptive fall in her FS, which Carolina did not. I guess a case could be made for Mao, but her SP was poor and she lacked energy in her FS, her skating seemed weak/lackluster in general at Worlds. The ladies event at Worlds was crappily skated, but even so, Kostner deserved to medal. I mean take into consideration Miki won with no 3f and a 5 triple FS, and Yuna won silver with no 3lo and actually also no 3f in the FS and some big mistakes, so Kostner's 3rd place is reasonable when you look at the big picture.

VIETgrlTerifa
06-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Wasn't Carolina's SP poor as well?

Triple Butz
06-19-2011, 06:42 PM

She fell on the flip, but got credit even though it was SEVERELY under-rotated. Overall, I don't have a problem with her placement, but an argument could certainly be made that she was held up in the sp.

pinky166
06-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Ish. But none of Alena, Alissa, or Mao had a great SP either, so it really came down to the FS, where Kostner skated better than Alissa and Mao and PCS put her ahead of Alena.

Jenna
06-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Ish. But none of Alena, Alissa, or Mao had a great SP either, so it really came down to the FS, where Kostner skated better than Alissa and Mao and PCS put her ahead of Alena.

Alena had a fantastic short, IMO. Her best ever.

taf2002
06-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Alena had a fantastic short, IMO. Her best ever.

But her skating skills are not comparable (IMO) to the top elite.

nubka
06-19-2011, 10:29 PM
Again, comes with the territory of being famous. She reaped the benefits, she is reaping the hindrance.

Also, if anyone (and IIRC, Phil Hersh does read here) reads FSU, they know there was a considerable outcry to the Team Flatt behavior and decision making. I would imagine there may have been something similar in the skating community.

Also, when Phil Hersh is concerned, this is exactly the kind of news for him to yell from the rafters. It's his job and his story.

and most folks around here just really love it when Phil Hersch 'does his job,' don't they... ;)