PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

victoriaheidi
06-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Could it be that Rachael wanted to "out" Tom for making her skate? Not giving her the option of withdrawing? If he made Josh skate with broken bones it would not be beyond him. Maybe she took the risk to warn the other skaters in his camp (who have left in droves...). Maybe RF threw herself under the bus to save her training partners?????

I said something like this in an earlier post. I don't know that Rachael would have stuck out the LP on her own. I think she was pushed by Tom-to an extent. She's so determined that I bet she wanted to start, but I think the reason she revealed her injury had to do more with Tom and less with anything else. Anyone else notice that Rachael didn't release a statement pre- or post-Worlds about how wonderful it was to work with him?

I do feel sorry for Rachael. I feel sorry because I don't think she had the proper guidance. Everyone would WANT to try to be amazing, to get three spots back, to push through an injury. It takes a good team to monitor the situation and help the skater do the right thing. I don't see that with Tom.

I also agree with the person who said that RF's punishment did not need to be overly publicized. Phil Hersh has had nothing but misery for that girl all season (save one, "I guess she surprised me" comment post-Nats), and I can't figure out why these websites keep publicizing this. It's completely unfair to Rachael and I wish Tom's punishment had come to light first.

RD
06-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Well, now that news of the reprimand is public, I have no doubt that should she continue competing, she will be asked about it in a future interview.

Sylvia
06-17-2011, 09:05 PM
So Flatt talked about having pain and Hersh reported it as an injury? Or was there more information that was given?
I don't think Flatt mentioned a specific injury until her mixed zone comments after her FS.

From Lynn Rutherford's Worlds Ladies SP article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110429&content_id=18393276&vkey=ice_news

Flatt, the U.S. silver medalist, doubled her usually reliable triple Lutz in her East of Eden program and is eighth with 57.22 points.

"Everything but the Lutz was really good, and I was just really happy I got the Level 4 on the step sequence," Flatt said.

"I think it's just due to a lack of belief in what I'm doing right now. About a week before we left Colorado Springs, my right leg starting bothering me a lot. It's not been fun but I'm trying to do the best I can with it."

From Rutherford's Worlds Ladies FS article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110430&content_id=18438512&vkey=ice_news

It was a difficult week for Flatt, who was diagnosed with a stress fracture in her right tibia last Friday.

The U.S. silver medalist was not at her best in the free, falling on her opening double Axel-triple toe loop combination and popping two intended triple flips into singles.

"I'm in a lot of pain," Flatt said. "I tried to do the best I could but unfortunately it wasn't very good.

"Now I'm going to take a family vacation before I head to college [Stanford University]. I will take about a month off to let my injury heal."
"Last Friday" was April 22, 2011.

ETA: The Ladies SP was Friday, April 29 and FS on the 30th.

Iceman
06-17-2011, 09:58 PM
WAS RACHAEL'S INJURY MISDIAGNOSED? After Worlds she and here family were going on a vacation in Hawaii and on returning Rachael was headed to Delaware to work on the triple axel. It takes much longer than that (and complete rest) to recover from the injury she was reported to have.

IceAlisa
06-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Info on stress fractures, scroll down for tibia:

Treatment consists of activity restriction to minimize symptoms (ie, a period of non weight bearing may be necessary) before engaging in a program of increasingly demanding strengthening and conditioning exercise, leading to an eventual return to play in 8-12 weeks. Interestingly, 3 studies have demonstrated that use of a pneumatic leg brace allowed athletes to recover more quickly than athletes treated with activity restriction alone.[11, 12, 13] It may be that compression of the leg's soft tissues helps to unload the tibia during weight-bearing activities, thereby minimizing further microdamage and facilitating bony repair.

Cortical stress fractures of the anterior tibial midshaft should be treated with care because they tend to heal more slowly (average of 6 mo) and are prone to delayed union or nonunion. In such cases, electromagnetic stimulation may potentially be helpful in promoting healing. Some authors recommend immobilization as initial therapy. Failure of nonoperative care warrants consideration of surgical intervention. Options include reamed intramedullary nailing and internal fixation with bone grafting. Postoperative recovery time averages 6 months.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/309106-treatment

julieann
06-17-2011, 10:10 PM
I don't recall reading that specific tweet by Mirai, but, for what it's worth, I was told by more than one person who saw Nagasu practicing before Worlds that she looked really good.

I didn't say she wasn't in shape and would have ended up in 24th place, I'm sure she looked great but Frank was quoted as saying "She took the responsibility of being ready as the alternate very seriously" and she tweeted that she was taking it really easy after 4CC. So was she training at 100% or taking it easy? I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

skatemommy
06-17-2011, 11:08 PM
[QUOTE=victoriaheidi;3211674} It's completely unfair to Rachael and I wish Tom's punishment had come to light first.[/QUOTE]

I so agree with this...the coach is the spokesperson at this level.

agalisgv
06-18-2011, 12:25 AM
I didn't say she wasn't in shape and would have ended up in 24th place, I'm sure she looked great but Frank was quoted as saying "She took the responsibility of being ready as the alternate very seriously" and she tweeted that she was taking it really easy after 4CC. So was she training at 100% or taking it easy? I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle. If the tweet isn't there now, maybe you are misremembering it? Does anyone else recall seeing such a tweet from Mirai that soon thereafter disappeared?

Btw, thanks Sylvia for reposting those interviews. To me the timeline they show indicates this injury occurred before she left for Moscow, and was diagnosed well in time for an alternate to be called if USFSA had been notified.

julieann
06-18-2011, 12:34 AM
If the tweet isn't there now, maybe you are misremembering it? Does anyone else recall seeing such a tweet from Mirai that soon thereafter disappeared?

No, I'm not mis-remembering it because as soon as I read it I though to myself it was funny an alternate doesn't seem to concerned about practicing regularly...what if they are called to compete? That is why it stuck out as strange to me her using the term "taking it easy", but when I went to go find it after reading Frank's comment, it was gone.

Sylvia
06-18-2011, 12:42 AM
How long after 4 Continents (it ended in Taipei on February 20) do you recall seeing this tweet of Mirai's?

ETA:

After Worlds she and here family were going on a vacation in Hawaii and on returning Rachael was headed to Delaware to work on the triple axel.
The May 5th Colorado Springs Gazette article mentioned that Flatt planned "to take a family vacation to Hawaii over the summer, work on her triple axel at the University of Delaware’s high performance center, participate in a freshman orientation at Stanford and look for a new coach in the Bay Area." There were no dates specified for the visit to UDel.

A.H.Black
06-18-2011, 12:56 AM
But whoever diagnosed the injury doesn't have that right. It was privileged information among him/her, Rachael, her coach and parents.

I agree that the medical personnel would keep such information confidential. I still wonder whether the information was only known by Rachel, her coach and her family.

Maybe other rinks work differently than the ones I have witnessed. Yes, some judges and officials don't come to the rinks unless they have business there, but I know several judges and officials that still skate, take lessens, get involved with their local clubs and have relationships with skaters, coaches and their families on a regular basis.

julieann
06-18-2011, 01:14 AM
How long after 4 Continents (it ended in Taipei on February 20) do you recall seeing this tweet of Mirai's?

Obviously after February 20th? Does it matter now that it's gone? The point is she and Frank don't seem to be on the same page. He makes it sound like she was ready to go and fight for a medal if they got the call and that is not how she made it sound. But I guess it's a moot point now.

RD
06-18-2011, 01:19 AM
...The point is she and Frank don't seem to be on the same page. He makes it sound like she was ready to go and fight for a medal if they got the call and that is not how she made it sound. But I guess it's a moot point now.

Sure, it is...after all, Flatt made it sound like she was in fighting condition...and then Worlds happened.

Sylvia
06-18-2011, 01:21 AM
I'm just asking because skaters are supposed to "take it easy," or taper down their training, after a major competition like Four Continents before gearing up again with full run throughs in the weeks leading up to Worlds if they are a first alternate.

julieann
06-18-2011, 01:27 AM
I'm just asking because skaters are supposed to "take it easy," or taper down their training, after a major competition like Four Continents before gearing up again with full run throughs in the weeks leading up to Worlds if they are a first alternate.

That is what I was thinking or maybe they don't bother to ramp it up until they actually get the destination and then hit it really hard, maybe it is really different for alternates and it's not that bad on the body because it happens so rarely.