PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

RD
06-17-2011, 03:44 PM
If she was competing injured at Nats (and therefore not taking up an extra slot), that's one thing. But when the future of the world team is at stake (not to mention the Fed is paying for your travel expenses), the stakes get raised.

The fact that Rachel discussed the injury publicly after the competition makes me think she really did not believe she had committed an infraction.
She is too smart a woman to get herself in this kind of hot water otherwise.

Now, I don't mean this as an insult, but being book smart and being street smart are two different things. You can have a lot of one and not much of the other...I've seen this happen before.

VIETgrlTerifa
06-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Plus being smart (whether it's "book" or "street") does not mean one doesn't make mistakes.

Cheylana
06-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Czisny wouldn't have been treated as the only US entry had Flatt withdrawn after the SP. Once Flatt started the competition, she would receive points based on how far she had gotten (18 for not making the FS, 16 for making the FS).
Ok, thanks. I had a feeling that might be the case.

A.H.Black
06-17-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm confused. Doesn't USFSA monitor the skaters' practice sessions? If she was that injured, why didn't they notice or intervene?

I'm still wondering the same thing. Who is her monitor? Did that person know? Did they not know? Was the USFSA really in the dark? If so, why.

I'm wondering if someone (or someones) didn't do their job.

OnyxRose81
06-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Again, were people really saying how brave she was for skating injured? There are also different levels and severity of injuries.

And also, let's face it. There is no way that JSF would have left Miki home for anything.

Sylvia
06-17-2011, 04:16 PM
I always wondered where Rachel's USFSA "moniter" was in this whole situation. As I understand it, high level skaters have someone from the USFSA (a judge or some other official) in their area that keeps an eye on them. They are aware of things like whether the athlete is training, if there are any glaring problems in programs, if there are any big physical changes in the skater etc. Usually this monitor has a relationship with the skater and the coach such that the monitor is aware if there is an injury.
There might have been this kind of one-on-one arrangement in the past, but I don't believe it is the case now. The burden is on the skater and coach to notify the appropriate people at USFS headquarters of any significant injuries.

I know there used to be individual monitoring sessions of World team members in the weeks before Worlds a few years ago, but I think these were eliminated due to budget cuts.

Jenna
06-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Now it's on Icenetwork...how embarrassing for her.

AliasJohnDoe
06-17-2011, 04:26 PM
the obligation to report requires that the skater have had surgery and/or is undergoing on-going medical treatment----we know the first wasn't true. The second is questionable.

The fact that Rachel discussed the injury publicly after the competition makes me think she really did not believe she had committed an infraction.
She is too smart a woman to get herself in this kind of hot water otherwise.

Miki skated with a severe injury at the GPF and it was very evident, but the most general reaction i think was how brave she was, not that she had kept another skater out of the finals.

Rachael also skated injured at the GPF, where she finished in last place, 50pts behind everyone else. Many people were annoyed then that Kira Korpi, or Mirai/Ashley, didnt get a chance to take her place. Rachael knew she was injured leading up to the GPF and still decided to skate and bombed. But since "spots" weren't up for grabs, a big deal wasn't really made of it. But it showed just how bad Rachael can place in points when she does skate injured. Pulling the same crap at Worlds where US spots are at stake was just plain selfish.

RD
06-17-2011, 04:33 PM
That's really the key...She tried it (skating injured) before at the GPF and it didn't work out. What made her think Worlds was going to be any different?

VIETgrlTerifa
06-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Nationals inflation and East of Eden?

Jammers
06-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Rachael was selfish simple as that. I just hope the other ladies whether it's Mirai, Agnes or somebody buries her next year and we won't be talking about her anymore. Yes that's harsh but i'm sure i'm not alone.

olifaunt
06-17-2011, 04:48 PM
That's really the key...She tried it (skating injured) before at the GPF and it didn't work out. What made her think Worlds was going to be any different?

I think Rachael struggled a lot more overall at the GPF than she did at Worlds. At Worlds her short program wasn't great, but with her in 8th place and Alissa in 4th after the SP, keeping three spots must have looked manageable. At the GPF she didn't even skate a good SP. Maybe she felt she was in more pain before GPF than she was before Worlds and didn't feel a need to make an issue of it. Maybe her team pointed to her not withdrawing from the GPF even with her injuries and told her to stick it out. Not a brilliant decision in either case, but sticking it out must have looked viable at some point.

leafygreens
06-17-2011, 04:48 PM
And she bombed at Nats (otherwise she'd have gone to Worlds) and bombed last year at Worlds (otherwise we would have had 3 spots this year and she would have gone to Worlds - see a trend?). I like Mirai, and I like Frank, but he needs to stop whining and focus on preparing his student for next season.

Mirai fell out of a spin and still got 3rd - big deal! She still gets higher international scores than RF. Frank has the right to be pissed. It's obvious to everyone that RF has been injured all year and yet RF's surprised that her last world's doesn't end with a bang. Everybody but her saw the writing on the wall.

I hope the USFSA also takes some responsibility by looking at the judging at Nationals that put Rachael on the team in the first place. Rachael's free program at Nationals had some overall deficiencies. Her components marks at Nationals were out of line with what she had received internationally. USFSA judges should try to reflect international standards and cultural preferences in the components if they want to help choose the most competitive World teams.

ITA - thank you! This isn't just RF's fault.

A.H.Black
06-17-2011, 04:53 PM
There might have been this kind of one-on-one arrangement in the past, but I don't believe it is the case now. The burden is on the skater and coach to notify the appropriate people at USFS headquarters of any significant injuries.

I know there used to be individual monitoring sessions of World team members in the weeks before Worlds a few years ago, but I think these were eliminated due to budget cuts.

You may be right, Sylvia, but I always thought this was an informal, unfunded, networking sort of thing. I'm pretty sure that's the way it worked at the rinks in my area. With Rachel skating right there in Colorado, I'm thinking someone should have known. Surely there are judges and officials that are regularly at that rink and have frequent conversations with Rachel and the other skaters. I have a hard time thinking that no one but Rachel and her coach (in the skating community) knew about her injury at the time it was diagnosed. Surely someone had at least a tacit responsibility to pass that information along to USFSA officials.

I would like to know if any sort of official knew about the injury. I would like to know why they didn't know. If they did know, did they pass that information along? If they did know and didn't pass the information along, why not? If they did pass along the information, was there any discussion among USFSA officials before the competition?

leafygreens
06-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Hmmm. International judges "let" her win the GPF. I really don't think the majority of the judges sit up nights to scheme how they can screw Alissa. On the contrary, they seem to love her & they reward her when the jumps are there.

Can anybody estimate what Alissa's placement would have been if she hadn't fallen on the 3z?