PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

modern_muslimah
06-16-2011, 03:32 PM
The thing is, it really is Rachael's fault although inadvertently. She was the one who let the cat out of the proverbial bag when she talked about the injury during the press conference. If she'd just said she had a bad skate and hadn't tried to justify it because of the injury, nothing would have happened. Note to skaters: don't try to justify if you have a bad skate. Just say I wasn't my best today and move on.

And Mirai won't have Racheal to blame this season. Her silly mistakes will be on her. I hope she's matured enough to not make them.

:respec:

I'm sure Rachel didn't think that anything of this nature would happen by mentioning the injury in light of her poor skate. If she had just said she had an off night, none of this would have happened.

TheIronLady
06-16-2011, 03:40 PM
I agree, but then they would also have to retract Ryan Bradley's scores too.

Ryan Bradley is a good example. The components marks awarded for Flatt and Bradley in Greensboro were out of line with international standards. One wonders if either would have gone to Worlds if an international panel had adjudicated. The USFSA needs to suck it up and not hold it against Rachael. They have some responsibility for the Nationals scores they awarded her (based on her reputation for consistency) when she might not have deserved those points.

Willowway
06-16-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm sure Rachel didn't think that anything of this nature would happen by mentioning the injury in light of her poor skate. If she had just said she had an off night, none of this would have happened.

And that would have been fundamentally dishonest as she was not uninjured and just had an off night - she was injured. I give her credit for being frank about that - but she should have reported it as required by the USFSA. What's so complicated? The money and the sponsorship comes with a few rules - not so bad. She may have inadvertently blown it (maybe...) but her coach? Not so much - he's paid to know the rules and that rule is not obscure or mysterious.

TheIronLady
06-16-2011, 03:47 PM
:respec:

Rachael was strange for disclosing it and not thinking through the consequences. It's almost as though she just wanted to please everyone, and she was not skating for herself.

This is why I feel the USFSA deserves the most blame. They picked her for her consistency reputation (and surely put the most pressure on her since they had not 100% confidence in Alissa). They should acknowledge this and review their faulty, inflated Nationals judging. Tom Z probably behaved somewhat unprofessionally, but who knows yet. The USFSA is trying to evade responsibility.

Vash01
06-16-2011, 03:52 PM
Michelle competed with a stress fracture in her toe at the 2002 Olympics. However, she never hid her injury. I think the punishment is for hiding the injury. Skaters do skate with injuries, and skate well at times, so I see no problem in Rachael doing that. She had earned her place on the world team, and she probably thought she could skate through the injury. Had she skated reasonably well, no action would have been taken. She could have skated poorly even without an injury (though unlikely in her case).

IMO this action is way too strong and undeserved.

kwanette
06-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Ryan Bradley is a good example. The components marks awarded for Flatt and Bradley in Greensboro were out of line with international standards. One wonders if either would have gone to Worlds if an international panel had adjudicated. The USFSA needs to suck it up and not hold it against Rachael. They have some responsibility for the Nationals scores they awarded her (based on her reputation for consistency) when she might not have deserved those points.

Are people to be judged on reputation?

kwanette
06-16-2011, 04:15 PM
Michelle competed with a stress fracture in her toe at the 2002 Olympics. However, she never hid her injury. I think the punishment is for hiding the injury. Skaters do skate with injuries, and skate well at times, so I see no problem in Rachael doing that. She had earned her place on the world team, and she probably thought she could skate through the injury. Had she skated reasonably well, no action would have been taken. She could have skated poorly even without an injury (though unlikely in her case).

IMO this action is way too strong and undeserved.

Michelle had the stress fracture at the 98 Olympics.

Frau Muller
06-16-2011, 04:20 PM
[asked to remove - censorship lives at FSU - thank you very much]

mikemba
06-16-2011, 04:25 PM
You make it sound like it was back in the 90s :lol:
Wasn't it last in 2009 that the ladies had 3 spots?

:) I guess it just seems like yeeeeeaaarrrsss to me because I'd like to see them regain -- and keep -- 3 spots!

I would say that at least 5 of the last 6 years they had only 2 spots -- my point being that many World teams both with and without Rachael have fallen short of earning 3 spots. Why so much blame is falling on her is astonishing to me.

olympic
06-16-2011, 04:29 PM
It's a little complicated and here is how I think it all transpired in the eyes of TPTB -

Flatt was skating injured early on this past season and everyone knew it. Still, I think the USFSA noted she was medaling on the GP Circuit in the Fall and made the GPF despite her injuries. She bombed there, but she made it to the final for the first time in her career [which Tom Z probably made sure TPTB were aware of], and Flatt got there ahead of Nagasu [who was a disaster at CoC and failed to medal] and Wagner [who was a disaster at NHK]

She looked better by '11 Nats, listened to the critics who mattered and changed to an eye-catching SP which kept her closer to a clean Czisny and Nagasu heading into the LP. Then, she got slightly inflated scores in the LP due to the fact that 1) Nagasu choked again in the LP, 2) Czisny clinched the top spot, and 3) she was winning practices w/ 3-3s, and 4) got lucky w/ a great draw in the LP which gave the judges wider latitude in sticking 'Rachael the Rock' wherever they wanted, which was ahead of a Nagasu who failed to deliver all season long, but behind a rejuvenated and much loved Czisny.

The USFSA probably thought she was ready.

Nagasu happened to have the skate of her life at '11 4CCs while Czisny faltered and looked like she was reverting back to form, and Flatt looked, well, a little blah and failed to do any 3-3s. I think it created a sense of doubt among fans and who knows, also among certain members of the skating establishment that the US was once again going to have a tough time getting 3 spots at Worlds.

The status of Rachael's injury was vague leading up to Worlds. She consented to the USFSA waiver. And at the same time, doubts are surfacing about how Tom Z handled injured skaters [Farris, Bradley, etc.] now that the spotlight started to shine on the Flatt camp in Colo. Sprs. Add FC's complaining, Hersh's reporting in the Chicago Tribune, the failure of the US to get 3 spots in ladies, and the USFSA felt compelled to do something to act like they are involved [who knows if this is a one-time-thing or a newly invigorated association]

Sylvia
06-16-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm not going to quote Frau Muller's post but just wanted to say "what a typical Flatt hater comment." :rolleyes:

Vagabond
06-16-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm not going to quote Frau Muller's post but just wanted to say "what a typical Flatt hater comment." :rolleyes:

Oh, I am! :)

After this failure in judgment, is Rachael still eligible for Stanford? "Smarts" aren't just about "BOOK smarts."

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice."

I remember reading that in someone's footers here on FSU. :shuffle:

FrouFrou
06-16-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm sure Rachael isn't the first skater that kept her injury on the down-low and skate through a competition. And I highly doubt the USFSA would have had an issue with Rachael had she helped secure the third spot, injury and all. I see this action more as a way to appease Frank's gripe. Although, it definitely does send skaters and coaches a clear message that you need to follow protocol at all times.

Frau Muller
06-16-2011, 04:38 PM

Wrong. I loved Flatt's 2nd SP this year, for example, and praised it to the hilt in the US Natls forum. It's not the skating - it's the Poor Judgment!

I have since removed my quote due to bullying and censorship. Expected from an USFS- and SOI-sponsored and policed forum.

TheIronLady
06-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Are people to be judged on reputation?

Rachael was given inflated scores based on reputation.