PDA

View Full Version : Canada Post Strike

kylet3
06-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Hi Fellow Canadian FSUers,

Just wanetd to get thoughts on the Canada Post Strike. Is it affecting you at all personally? I know it is for me... I'm expecting three large packages from overseas here and now I dont know if they'll ever get to me because of this darn strike...

My thought is the union is being waaaay too greedy with their demands, the corporation offered something decent but was rejected by the union. I dont think the union quite frankly understands that their demands aren't fiscally sound or solvent for the future...

I for one am relieved Lisa Raitt is legislating them back to work... I'm so pissed off at all involved, the union and now the corporation for the lockout lol. This is the one time I actually agree with the Conservatives...

kwanfan1818
06-15-2011, 11:35 PM
I guess the silver lining for me is that I'll be away for a total of 10 days and didn't fill out a mail hold in time... I would have been annoyed had I paid $20 with no mail service anyway.

Sucks for everyone else who needs to receive things in the mail.

overedge
06-16-2011, 01:37 AM
My thought is the union is being waaaay too greedy with their demands, the corporation offered something decent but was rejected by the union. I dont think the union quite frankly understands that their demands aren't fiscally sound or solvent for the future...

Canada Post has $$$$ that they can apparently afford to blow e.g. on badly planned reorganizations, pointless technological change, misguided marketing campaigns, and insanely high executive salaries. I'm not at all surprised that the union is asking for what they are asking for, when they see that kind of spending being thrown around while being told there is no money for salary increases and pension investments.

Twilight1
06-16-2011, 01:40 AM
My father worked for Canada Post and was a union steward until he died June 2nd. I am very familiar with WHY the workers are picketing.

Head office is trying to take away sick leave and short term disability. They are harassing employees who use these benefits (my dad was extremely stressed over having to fulfill all these ridculous demands on him by management while going through chemotherapy) They want to start new hires at a drastically lower rate of pay. They are overworking employees and demanding overtime from workers. Full timers who retire/ leave the coperation are not being replaced so they do not have to pay benefits for a new employee.

I find it disheartening that people don't care about and think a service is subpar because they have had a couple bad experiences or it is an inconvenience for them because they went on strike. Do online banking, have things automatically deposited, pay over the phone etc. and ride it out. Or even better, read up on what the negiotiations actually entail.

One thing I have to say, my dad was probably smiling down from heaven knowing the postal workers walked out the day after he died.

Andora
06-16-2011, 02:01 AM
I hate that automatic reaction in nearly any strike situation these days entails claiming the union is greedy and unrealistic. I didn't realize management was so altruistic and forthcoming. :rolleyes:

I find it disheartening that people don't care about and think a service is subpar because they have had a couple bad experiences or it is an inconvenience for them because they went on strike. Do online banking, have things automatically deposited, pay over the phone etc. and ride it out. Or even better, read up on what the negiotiations actually entail.

I'm not going to lie, I've noticed a marked decline of service within the last 6-8 months. I received Christmas cards in April that were sent from two hours away in early December, for example. I spoke to someone at my local CP office about it when I stopped receiving parcel delivery slips, and they mentioned how a great deal more temporary workers were hired, and hired maybe too quickly, for the Christmas rush. Lately I've heard more negative stories than I have in years, and was beginning to wonder what was going on, but maybe this is a culmination of frustrating working conditions. Maybe it isn't a "greedy union" striking so much as one that's fed up with things as well.

Even when going on strike, they never fully walked off the job. Until today, I was still getting mail. Their rolling strike was appreciated on this end. :P I'm sad to see management lock them out entirely simply to force the government to mandate them back to work.

Twilight1
06-16-2011, 02:07 AM
My dad was telling me that many full timers are leaving/ retiring CP. So it would make sense that new employees/ casual part timers would make errors and people would get their mail late.

Ironically though, production rates have been higher these last 2 years. I found that on the CUPW website. Also, Canada Post is making uber cash. They can afford to maintain the benfits of their employees/ including the cost of living pay raise requested and new hires should not take a drastic pay cut compared to their peers.

KatieC
06-16-2011, 02:34 AM
I've always liked Canada Post. For one thing, they agree with me on where I live. The rest of the federal government insist I live in another city and Canada Post keeps my city name alive. I like that. Even Google Maps thinks I live in another city. And, when my passport seemed to disappear after sending it off for a visa, they realized the seriousness of the problem and called me the very next day to tell me it would be in my regular delivery that day, and it was. I hope they can work things out so it becomes a well functioning, good business.

pat c
06-16-2011, 02:35 AM

I live rural and so I know those postal workers are in a different union, but they don't help the people you're talking about. These are some of the things they've done lately:

Removed sorting tables and garbage cans from the post office box area.

Make the post office clients till out un-necessary paperwork. For instance, I had to get my daughter to fill out a form giving me permission to pick up her mail when it comes to our post office box. We've lived here for 25 years and they know who my daughter is.

What's the bitch? Well there's a lot of seniors and they can't maneuver everything and it would be nice to let them have a sorting table. And the local town council volunteered to pick up the garbage daily, so they said keep a garbage can. The post mistress refused. She refused to re-install the sorting table as well.

The form we had to fill out never left the local post office. So, that was a petty case of bureacracy

User friendly, get rid of the pettiness and common sense would help.

So, unfortunately the people who are walking the picket line are represented by the local people that I deal with. The post mistress is on the union board, has 6 weeks holidays and a ton of sick leave and she uses it all. So, for the average working person, she works the system and uses every perk and really doesn't do the people who are on strike any favors.

Sorry, sad but true.

Twilight1
06-16-2011, 02:48 AM
Every company unionized or not have people who manevour the system to their benefit. I know plenty of people who don't have a union representing them that get better pay increases, take every sick occurence and vacation day not to mention get to leave early.

CUPW wants an 80 cent pay increase for this year and I think in the 70 cent range each subsequent year, that actually doesn't cover the cost of living increase we have right now. My non unionized husband got a 5% pay increase.

Management does not utilize funds in the most optimal manner. They purchase machines that are extremely expensive and then get rid of them/ or leave them to gather dust.

ITA the bureacracy is ridiculous but it is the common employee getting the flack. Managers get perks if their 'underlings' are highly productive and don't take sick time. My father's manager rode his butt all the time. Mind you, my dad was a union steward and anything that went against the collective agreement, my dad submitted to arbitration which also caused his manager grief.

While I agree the union protects the unproductive riffraff, it also does a lot to ensure that all employees get the exact same rights. New staff should not have to deal with a big pay cut compared to their counterparts doing the exact same job.

Andora
06-16-2011, 02:59 AM
Speaking of bureacracy, is it usually the fault of unions when this gets so ridiculous? I thought that was more management's ball game...

There's no doubt the entire Canada Post operation, top to bottom, should address efficiency. I don't know that it's the union necessarily holding them back. Unless it's a case of jobs being eliminated because they're not necessary anymore due to machinery, people paying bills online, etc. etc. I know that's not a pleasant reality, but unions would do well not to fight that losing battle.

Twilight1
06-16-2011, 03:08 AM
Andora- profit for Canada Post has actually increased. Online purchases are on the rise. The invention of Ebay has been one of the greatest profit builders for CP. They also make a great deal of money from the delivery of ads.

It is not the cards/ letters that make money now. People text, email, call etc for that. It is purchases online, and advertisement delievery that are the money makers. The union has a very solid place in fighting this battle and it is hardly a losing one. Letters/ cards can go through the sorting machines. Packages can not; they have to be hand sorted. Hand sorted mail means they have to keep employees as no machine (as yet) can do that job.

Erin
06-16-2011, 03:11 AM
I'm not going to lie, I've noticed a marked decline of service within the last 6-8 months. I received Christmas cards in April that were sent from two hours away in early December, for example.

I can beat that - my grandma (who also lives two hours away from me) sent my birthday card on November 24 and I got it in early June. Meanwhile the card my brother sent me was sent back to Japan two months after he mailed it, saying that my address didn't exist...he scanned in the envelope to show me and he had my address written perfectly so I'm not sure what the deal was there.

Andora
06-16-2011, 03:12 AM
Andora- profit for Canada Post has actually increased. Online purchases are on the rise. The invention of Ebay has been one of the greatest profit builders for CP. They also make a great deal of money from the delivery of ads.

It is not the cards/ letters that make money now. People text, email, call etc for that. It is purchases online, and advertisement delievery that are the money makers. The union has a very solid place in fighting this battle and it is hardly a losing one. Letters/ cards can go through the sorting machines. Packages can not; they have to be hand sorted. Hand sorted mail means they have to keep employees as no machine (as yet) can do that job.

That's why I said it wasn't necessarily the Union holding Canada Post back. You backed that up-- I wondered if jobs were being made redundant, but it appears not.

pat c
06-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Every company unionized or not have people who manevour the system to their benefit. I know plenty of people who don't have a union representing them that get better pay increases, take every sick occurence and vacation day not to mention get to leave early.

CUPW wants an 80 cent pay increase for this year and I think in the 70 cent range each subsequent year, that actually doesn't cover the cost of living increase we have right now. My non unionized husband got a 5% pay increase.

Management does not utilize funds in the most optimal manner. They purchase machines that are extremely expensive and then get rid of them/ or leave them to gather dust.

ITA the bureacracy is ridiculous but it is the common employee getting the flack. Managers get perks if their 'underlings' are highly productive and don't take sick time. My father's manager rode his butt all the time. Mind you, my dad was a union steward and anything that went against the collective agreement, my dad submitted to arbitration which also caused his manager grief.

While I agree the union protects the unproductive riffraff, it also does a lot to ensure that all employees get the exact same rights. New staff should not have to deal with a big pay cut compared to their counterparts doing the exact same job.

No, I agree. I think that like all businesses, stream lining and rewarding good employees/managers is key.

My point (poorly written as I was in a hurry), is that where I am, there are too many that whip out the rule book and forget about the people they are providing a service to. These people make the average citizen look at the strikers in an unsympathetic light.

I use Canada Post quite a bit as I order online. But the cost and the slow service is aggravating to say the least.