PDA

View Full Version : Adam Rippon to be coached by Jason Dungjen at Detroit SC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

overedge
06-18-2011, 07:34 PM
It has been talked about in the threads on FSU many times, and Phil Hersh stated in his story the following:

"Both Orser and Rippon attribute their split to differences in training philosophy after a 2011 season the skater began with an impressive victory at the Japan Open in September. Rippon faded slowly but inexorably after that."

A "difference in training philosophy" is not at all the same thing as not taking advice from the coach. There are many other things that could fall under the catchall of "difference in training philosophy".

ProgramerUSFS
06-18-2011, 07:41 PM
How in the *#*#*#*#*#*# do you know, were you there, inside their conversation(s)??????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????

Really people, perhaps one or both didn't like the other. And that's perfectly ok, because there are other good/great coaches around and plenty of skaters. Whatever works, works.

If I may this was published by Phil and has direct quotes from both Orser and Rippon. I think, I also saw an video interview where Rippon said that he didn't need as much off ice training, when I find that, I will post that for you as well. I think these things are what people are talking about. But really, its kind of like Sylvia said. If Adam didn't think he needed it, who are we to question why he would not take the advise of his coach Orser. Some of you make me wonder if you have to prove that Orser was wrong. I don't think you or anyone could prove that he was wrong, because everything points to the fact that he tried to help Rippon all he could. I am just pointing out that Rippon didn't take Orsers advise all the time, and Sylvia who has allot more experience then me, says that skaters don't need to take their coaches advise, no mater how good the coach is.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2011/04/first-kim-now-rippon-what-does-latest-split-mean-for-orser.html

``I feel I improved this season, but my results fell short,'' Rippon said.

Orser and Rippon agree the skater's decline over the course of the season needed to be addressed - and that differences in how to do it could not be resolved.

``The reason I made the change is I thought the strategy of training had to be changed,'' Rippon said.

``Adam and I discussed the season and the challenges we had,'' Orser said. ``I had some ideas with conditioning, and they (Rippon and his advisors) said they were going to stick with their off-ice plan, that it was fine for them.

``It wasn't fine for me. I had some other ideas to help him complete at the level I know he can, sports psychology and other tools most elite athletes use.''

Neither would give specifics about the training ideas, but in listening to both, it seemed clear Rippon felt he was allowed to peak too early, while Orser thought the skater's ideas about what constituted off-ice training were part of the problem.

Sparks
06-18-2011, 10:16 PM
I don't see ANYONE saying Orser was wrong, BUT you seem hell bent on pointing your finger at Adam. As Allen indicated, you seem to extrapolatetoo much and engage in a lot of conjecture all over one small interview.
Let it go...

bbkenn
06-18-2011, 10:38 PM
I wish him luck, in the end it will be up to him to do the skating. You can only change coaches so many times.

chipso1
06-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Two top US Guys at the same facility...:watch:
:o I read that wrong.

:coffee:

Allen
06-18-2011, 10:46 PM
I wish him luck, in the end it will be up to him to do the skating. You can only change coaches so many times.

Well, wouldn't that be 13 or 14 times if you use Nicole Bobek as the example? :)

Theatregirl1122
06-18-2011, 11:04 PM
False, because Dornbush is still in CA with Tammy Gambill. :)

Two top guys and top two guys are still not the same thing.

triple_toe
06-18-2011, 11:14 PM
I have zero insider info, but I have seen situations before where a coach is stumped/stuck with a skater's on ice improvement and starts bringing in all sorts of off-ice trainers, psychologists, nutritionists, physiotherapists, etc to "fix" the problem, when the problem is really an inability to instill the correct technique/ peak the skater appropriately/ give the skater the confidence needed in competition. I'm NOT saying this is necessarily the case, nor am I saying that all of these things are useless, I'm just saying that it's POSSIBLE that Adam was unhappy with Brian's work on the ice and with how he allowed Adam to peak at Japan Open, and felt that when he confronted Brian about these things, Brian kind of dodged the question and started going on about how Adam needed more off-ice.

Like I said, this is pure speculation, but it's a point of view I haven't seen brought up in this thread. For all I know, Adam could be the second coming of Chris Bowman in his training habits, and Brian could be a saint. However, I will say that I have yet to see Brian *dramatically* fix or improve anyone's jumping ability, considering that Yu Na and Adam pretty much left Brian with everything they came with. Even Christina Gao was already doing triple lutzes and flips before she came to Canada. Also, there has been a bit of an exodus from Brian in the past couple of years, so I'm not sure I buy the "Adam just wasn't listening to Brian" bit.

Finally, this notion that because Brian is a two-time Olympic medallist and Adam isn't, Brian is automatically right in any disagreements they have, is bull IMO. People make mistakes, and Brian is fairly new to coaching. Being a good competitor does not equal being a good coach, nor does having one (or two, or three, or fifty) successful students mean you that you can coach anyone to success. Look at Carolina Kostner and Frank Carroll.

Skating is a very individual sport, and you have to be exceedingly self-aware. You can't just blindly follow every single thing a coach tells you to do, you have to think for yourself occasionally too. As an example, look at Tom Z. pressuring his skaters to compete and train when injured. At one time, he was the golden coach too, and I'm sure that made plenty of people listen to him against their better judgement.

Eek, that was a bit longer than I intended. I just hope Adam is happy. :cheer:

chipso1
06-18-2011, 11:16 PM
Two top guys and top two guys are still not the same thing.

Yes, changed it, thanks for the heads up.

Allisanna
06-19-2011, 01:23 AM
triple toe, Thank you for your post. :cheer2:

rfisher
06-19-2011, 01:42 AM
. Being a good competitor does not equal being a good coach, nor does having one (or two, or three, or fifty) successful students mean you that you can coach anyone to success. Look at Carolina Kostner and Frank Carroll.

:

They are a good example of a good skater and a good coach who did not mesh together. Their personalities are too different. Which is why Jason/Yuka would not be the best fit for every skater. I don't think they'd work for Mirai, for example. Some skaters get lucky and find that best fit when they are very young (Michelle and Frank), some don't find it until they are older (Alissa and J/Y). Frank and Alissa would have been a terrible combination. I think Adam will be just fine with Jason and Yuka. Much more so than he was with Morozov (even if he did win two junior titles) or Orser. I think he needs what Jason and Yuka can give him at this stage of his career. I hope that's the case in any event. And he did polish off that Rippon Lutz with Orser's tutelage so was a positive stage of his skating career. :)

ProgramerUSFS
06-19-2011, 02:00 AM
I don't see ANYONE saying Orser was wrong, BUT you seem hell bent on pointing your finger at Adam. As Allen indicated, you seem to extrapolatetoo much and engage in a lot of conjecture all over one small interview.
Let it go...

Actually Adam is one of my favorite Male skaters along with Patrick. But I don't like all the Ubers coming out of the woodwork when we are kicking around ideas and no one can say anything that might put their skater or coach in a bad light, let it go man. The ubers hang on "it must be conjecture over one interview" or it was sun spots, or the moon light as it couldn't be the ubers skater. I supplied the interview quotes so that others could see why someone would come to that conclusion, and didn't say it was a fact, as nobody really knows. So grow up as we are having a discussion and none of us know what really happened, we are talking. The fun of this site is kicking ideas around and getting others to say, hey I don't agree with you and here is why. Or saying, I think your right because of this other thing.

Tell me why you think I am all wet. Supply some documentation about how I could be wrong as I did with others. But don't play that game of I don't like someone because I said something against them. If I thought Orser was at fault I would say it so fast it would make your head spin.

ProgramerUSFS
06-19-2011, 02:04 AM
And Triple Toe, I agree with most of what you are saying, especially that Jason is the right combination for Adam. I am hoping that we see a strong showing and performance at nationals. We need strong men to skate for the US going forward.

overedge
06-19-2011, 02:19 AM
Tell me why you think I am all wet.

Because you just dismissed everyone who disagrees with you as an uber.

ProgramerUSFS
06-19-2011, 02:28 AM
Because you just dismissed everyone who disagrees with you as an uber.

Is that what you think? When I disagree with someone I tell them why and supply the documentation such as the interviews to show how I came to my conclusion and my interpretation of what I read. I dismissed him because he made statements without any fact and in my opinion it was based on his love for his skater, not logical facts that were available in things such as an interview. If he would have supplied another interview that I missed that clearly stated his point, I wouldn't have called him a Uber.

Did he not do to me what he was accusing me of, or did I not understand what he was saying? I do make mistakes you know, maybe I am wrong here?