PDA

View Full Version : Adam Rippon to be coached by Jason Dungjen at Detroit SC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11

ProgramerUSFS
06-18-2011, 03:57 PM
What indecisiveness ss?

He was literally abandoned by Morosov...taught himself the 3 axel...Paul Wylie helped him out a bit..and I suspect Paul helped with the Orser connection..I'm not blaming either Adam or Brian for their relationship not working out..and since neither is saying much..not a bad thing..we don't know what happened..If Adam is happy with Jason, good for him..Time will tell..

I am not sure what you are talking about? Allot of you on this site seam to think that the coach has some complete control over the skater. If you recall from the Orser breakup, it was pointed out that Adam did not want to take the advise from Orser on training, and in fact was in a disagreement about it. To me, if you don't do what your coach asks you to do, how in the hell can you hold them accountable. And if this was the trend with Orser, it was happening with the coach before, and the coach after. He is a very talented young man with great potential. My advise to him would be to listen and do what Jason wants him to do, and not think that he should do something differently. Then he can hold the coach responsible. If I were your coach and you didn't listen to my suggestions, I would abandon you as well.

Lets see, my teacher is a two time olympic silver medalist, but I don't like the homework assignments, so I switch teachers. Thats indecisiveness to me. Thats the way I see it, but maybe I am wrong, you tell me?

Sparks
06-18-2011, 04:08 PM
I am not sure what you are talking about? Allot of you on this site seam to think that the coach has some complete control over the skater. If you recall from the Orser breakup, it was pointed out that Adam did not want to take the advise from Orser on training, and in fact was in a disagreement about it. To me, if you don't do what your coach asks you to do, how in the hell can you hold them accountable. And if this was the trend with Orser, it was happening with the coach before, and the coach after. He is a very talented young man with great potential. My advise to him would be to listen and do what Jason wants him to do, and not think that he should do something differently. Then he can hold the coach responsible. If I were your coach and you didn't listen to my suggestions, I would abandon you as well.

Lets see, my teacher is a two time olympic silver medalist, but I don't like the homework assignments, so I switch teachers. Thats indecisiveness to me. Thats the way I see it, but maybe I am wrong, you tell me?

I don't recall any such thing. Can you provide a link? Did Orser say that? Adam?
I always believe that if the plan isn't working, you change plans.

ProgramerUSFS
06-18-2011, 04:30 PM
I don't recall any such thing. Can you provide a link? Did Orser say that? Adam?

It has been talked about in the threads on FSU many times, and Phil Hersh stated in his story the following:

"Both Orser and Rippon attribute their split to differences in training philosophy after a 2011 season the skater began with an impressive victory at the Japan Open in September. Rippon faded slowly but inexorably after that."

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/page/4/

This was confirmed in video interviews by Adam himself. Please tell me if I am wrong, but I have always thought based on everything I saw and read that Adam didn't agree with his coaches and their training, and has been seeking a coach that agrees with him? Seams logical to me, that if felt strongly about how I should be trained, and discounted my coaches past experience as something that worked for them, and will not work for me, then I might in fact do the same thing. But we all can't blame any coach about the changes. If this is the real case, it is poor coach selection by the skater. However if after a year, he feels the same about Jason, then maybe he should just do what Jason asks of him. Remember, repeating history over and over again, doesn't get you different results.

orbitz
06-18-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm really starting to like Adam pairing w/ Jason Dungjen. Wasn't Jason the one who stripped down Alissa's jumps and made her technique better? Maybe he can do the same w/ Adam's 3x? Hopefully, he can also encourage Adam w/ the 4lutz or whichever quad Adam can complete...

Yuka is the one with the single skating experiences. I would think she would be in better shape than Jason, who was never that consistent with the 3t and 2a during his eligible days, to break down a skater's technique on jumps. It just seem odd to me that Yuka is almost pushed to the sideline now when it comes to fans giving credits for Alissa and Jeremy's successes.

sk9tingfan
06-18-2011, 04:50 PM
It has been talked about in the threads on FSU many times, and Phil Hersh stated in his story the following:

"Both Orser and Rippon attribute their split to differences in training philosophy after a 2011 season the skater began with an impressive victory at the Japan Open in September. Rippon faded slowly but inexorably after that."

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/page/4/

You're awfully prescriptive;I'd rethink some of your admonitions. Much of what is said in interviews and even by the skater himself may not be the entire story. Those statements are often carefully scripted to be the most diplomatic responses possible so that everyone can move on.

ProgramerUSFS
06-18-2011, 05:02 PM
You're awfully prescriptive;I'd rethink some of your admonitions. Much of what is said in interviews and even by the skater himself may not be the entire story. Those statements are often carefully scripted to be the most diplomatic responses possible so that everyone can move on.

So since both Orser and Rippon said this same story to multiple press people, you think they carefully planned what they were going to say to the press, to make sure their stories were diplomatic in response? I know there has been such a history of skaters and coaches saying the right things to the press recently. I can see this now. I must have overlooked it before. :lol:

sk9tingfan
06-18-2011, 05:07 PM
So since both Orser and Rippon said this same story to multiple press people, you think they carefully planned what they were going to say to the press, to make sure their stories were diplomatic in response? I know there has been such a history of skaters and coaches saying the right things to the press recently. I can see this now. I must have overlooked it before. :lol:

Both of them are represented by IMG. You don't think that they were both advised to be diplomatic?

rfisher
06-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Yuka is the one with the single skating experiences. I would think she would be in better shape than Jason, who was never that consistent with the 3t and 2a during his eligible days, to break down a skater's technique on jumps. It just seem odd to me that Yuka is almost pushed to the sideline now when it comes to fans giving credits for Alissa and Jeremy's successes.

Not by me. Alissa has always been a lovely skater, but I see some of Yuka's smoothness and ethereal quality in her skating that wasn't there before. I think both Jason and Yuka have played a role. I personally think the calmness comes from Yuka and that is inherited from Mr. Sato. You see that calmness in Kozuka and it's beginning to show with Mao. They wouldn't be the right coaches for bubbly or aggressive personalities, but they are perfect for those who need to focus and not defeat themselves. I think this could work very well for Adam.

Iceman
06-18-2011, 05:10 PM

Orser wanted Adam to do more off ice training. Adam didn't want to do that.
He should have trusted orser imo, but that is moot now.

Sylvia
06-18-2011, 05:20 PM
But we all can't blame any coach about the changes. If this is the real case, it is poor coach selection by the skater. However if after a year, he feels the same about Jason, then maybe he should just do what Jason asks of him. Remember, repeating history over and over again, doesn't get you different results.
Only Rippon knows what he needs from a coach and he's the one who has to deal with the consequences of his coaching change decisions. Fortunately, I don't think he (or any elite skater, really) feels the need to take any advice from anonymous posters online :) (or even, for that matter, from people he knows who say it to his face).

Sparks
06-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Only Rippon knows what he needs from a coach and he's the one who has to deal with the consequences of his coaching change decisions. Fortunately, I don't think he (or any elite skater, really) feels the need to take any advice from anonymous posters online :) (or even, for that matter, from people he knows who say it to his face).

^^^ This. :respec:
I still don't see a lot of acrimony or indecisiveness in any of their statements.
A difference of opinion regarding training styles is not uncommon, nor is it worthy of blaming anyone.

ProgramerUSFS
06-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Both of them are represented by IMG. You don't think that they were both advised to be diplomatic?

Now think about it. Do you think that IMG would recommend that Orser and Adam say that they disagreed on training. That an up and coming skater with no real world or olympic experience would not take the advise of someone who did it and succeeded? I would think, that would be the last thing a IMG representative would recommend. Doing so would place Adam in a bad light for not taking Orsers advise. This is why I think those statements of Adam not wanting to follow what his coach wanted him to do are what happened. But as Sylvia points out, in the end, Adam can do what he wants because only he really knows what his body needs and what works for him. I agree with that.

Lacey
06-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Orser wanted Adam to do more off ice training. Adam didn't want to do that.
He should have trusted orser imo, but that is moot now.

How in the *#*#*#*#*#*# do you know, were you there, inside their conversation(s)??????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????

Really people, perhaps one or both didn't like the other. And that's perfectly ok, because there are other good/great coaches around and plenty of skaters. Whatever works, works.

Allen
06-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Now think about it. Do you think that IMG would recommend that Orser and Adam say that they disagreed on training. That an up and coming skater with no real world or olympic experience would not take the advise of someone who did it and succeeded? I would think, that would be the last thing a IMG representative would recommend.

:huh:

That's an awful lot of conjecture there that you don't seem to have evidence to support. So, because Adam isn't as successful yet as Orser was in his amateur career, he's supposed to automatically agree with whatever Orser says as a coach? :rolleyes:

I'm also not sure what's so wrong with saying something along the lines of "we had different philosophies as far as coaching and we decided to part ways."

skatesindreams
06-18-2011, 07:28 PM
To those of you who post as though you have "inside" information:
Do you have permission to do so?