PDA

View Full Version : Worlds 2014 in Japan and other ISU council decisions

Pages : 1 2 [3]

midori
06-17-2011, 02:36 AM
No offense, but I've been to post Olympics worlds, and they are great as well. Yes, some competitors may not come, but it is still a wonderful competition. :) And besides, Japan has certainly played host to a lot of wonderful skating events in the past decade, a post-Olympics Worlds isn't too much of a let down, I should think. :lol:

You know what I mean very well as you say "not too much of a let down"... well you cannot avoid some let down :(. I've been to post-Olympics Worlds too and I know they are great as well. Still I would have non-Olympics year if I could.

Another problem is that if it is 2014, then I should choose between the Worlds and Sochi. Either way I will get very frustrated. Highly unlikely I can go to both Worlds and Olympics, if I am still at the current job. But you do not want to skip Worlds when they come to your own town... and the idea of skipping Olympics because of post-Olympic Worlds is :yikes:. It would be much easier to choose if the Worlds is not held in your town.

ETA: Japan got 2 out of 5 post-Olympic Worlds in the past. If we get 2014 it would be 3 out of 6.

lexeoe
06-17-2011, 06:52 AM
Canada hosted post Olympic Worlds in 1932 (Montreal), 1960 (Vancouver), 1972/2006 (Calgary), 1984 (Ottawa). That's 5 post Olympic Worlds for Canada.

akkto
06-17-2011, 08:08 AM
http://www.saitama-arena.co.jp/e/facility.html
Its beautiful

Asli
06-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Canada hosted post Olympic Worlds in 1932 (Montreal), 1960 (Vancouver), 1972/2006 (Calgary), 1984 (Ottawa). That's 5 post Olympic Worlds for Canada.

It's not the same thing. Canada hosted these post-Olympic World because they applied for them. Japan switched to the post-Olympic Worlds because of an earthquake. So I understand if some Japanese fans are disappointed.

Canada has hosted 2 Olympics and is naturally assigned many Worlds (including pre-Olympic Worlds which are the best kind) and many 4CC because of the interest in figure skating. They can't all be pre-Olympic Worlds.

BTW the 1984 post-Olympic Worlds were a championships every country would love to host. All four newly-crowned Olympic champions were competing and it was the last competition of Torvill&Dean and Scott Hamilton. Not the crappiest competition in the world. No need to feel robbed. ;)

I personally love post-Olympic Worlds. The olympic season is so stressful upto then. At the Worlds there is less stress (at least for fans) and some new champions.

allezfred
06-17-2011, 10:36 AM
http://www.saitama-arena.co.jp/e/facility.html
Its beautiful

It's absolutely massive. I believe it can seat 20,000+. However, I've also heard the seats aren't great.

a56
06-17-2011, 12:05 PM
No offense, but I've been to post Olympics worlds, and they are great as well. Yes, some competitors may not come, but it is still a wonderful competition. :) And besides, Japan has certainly played host to a lot of wonderful skating events in the past decade, a post-Olympics Worlds isn't too much of a let down, I should think. :lol:
I totally agree. 2006 worlds in Calgary has always been extremely memorable to me.

Frau Muller
06-17-2011, 02:39 PM
Also, the official announcment on Plushenko's reinstatement.....ISU Council agreed to reinstate the Russian Figure Skater Mr. Evgeni Plushenko with immediate effect who will therefore be allowed to compete again in ISU sanctioned competitions including the Olympic Winter Games.

Some FSUers are going to be very, very depressed this weekend. If anything, this adds a bit of spice to Men's eligible skating. :lol:

NONKO
06-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the information.
Japan always welcomes anyone;)