PDA

View Full Version : Javier Fernández left Morozov to train with Orser

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13

Sylvia
10-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Excerpt from the Men's FS article in the Globe and Mail by Beverley Smith (I've posted the link in the Skate Canada forum in Kiss and Cry):

Coach Brian Orser says Fernandez is his own person who doesn’t always make it to his sessions on time, and doesn’t always do as many run-throughs of programs as he should. He said Fernandez needs to get more fit. “He has his own style,” Orser said. “But as long as we get the job done, it doesn’t matter.”

When he consults the Spanish federation about some of the skater’s shortcomings, they tell Orser: “Well, he’s Spanish.”
:lol:

Ziggy
10-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Sylvia, well that's cultural differences. You can't expect Spanish people to be on time and have a German work ethic. ;)

I think people are unfair to Morozov. I found the last year's Fernandez was very well packaged for "up-and-coming" skater who wants to get noticed. Clearly that mission was accomplished and a lot of this season early success should be credited to that ground work.
However, the "get noticed" works for one season and one can not keep doing the same "marketing" stunts over and over proven by comparison between this year's Fernandez and Amodio.

That.

Drunken pirate is one of my favourite and most memorable programs in recent years.

But it could only go as far and Javi is taking the next step now.

I'm not fully buying it yet, though.

SP is great but what is the FS about? Is it a parody of a classical program (like Bradley's FS)? Is it a classical program? Because it doesn't really look like either. I don't get the concept, I don't think it gels together particularly well.

But my expectations were sky high after the extraordinary SP and he did seem very tense during the FS. It's surely gonna look better with more mileage.

Well of course here at Skate Canada ALL the judges are Canadian and that's the only reason Javier got such high PCS [/tongue-in-cheek] :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

No, what I think happened is that he skated an unbelievably amazing, incredible SP. Not just because of the jumps but had great speed, tons of expression, fantastic projection. He just really exceeded himself and delivered the performance of his life.

And the judges went along with it.

The FS was disappointing to me, he seemed very tense and wooden in his upper body, but when you have already made such a killer impression and are skating last, having beaten two World Champions, you are going to get high marks.

I think the floodgates are opened now. With the marks he earned, having got the silver medal and almost beaten Chan, the cred is earned and his marks are going to be much higher now.

Coco
10-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Plenty of times, though, we've seen other skaters have fantastic performances yet not be rewarded with a huge increase in their PCS.

Just frustrating, that's all.

bek
10-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Sylvia, well that's cultural differences. You can't expect Spanish people to be on time and have a German work ethic. ;)

Maybe we should say a Korean work ethic? :lol: Orser in another article admitted that he was spoiled by Kim.

Although it may very well be Mama Kim in the end :lol:

Ziggy
10-30-2011, 09:10 PM
Plenty of times, though, we've seen other skaters have fantastic performances yet not be rewarded with a huge increase in their PCS.

Just frustrating, that's all.

I don't think that ever in my history of following skating, I've seen a skater skate out of their box like this. At least I can't recall it at the moment.

kia_4EverOnIce
10-30-2011, 10:56 PM
I like a lot the Sp, but I also like the Lp...surely it needs still a bit of work and it wasn't skated clean, but I think it'll be great going on with the season.

fsfan22
10-30-2011, 11:39 PM
Well of course here at Skate Canada ALL the judges are Canadian and that's the only reason Javier got such high PCS [/tongue-in-cheek] :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wait ... what? You do realize this is an ISU sanctioned event, meaning the panel of judges are from several different countries. There was only ONE Canadian judge on the panel.

Really
10-30-2011, 11:40 PM
Wait ... what? You do realize this is an ISU sanctioned event, meaning the panel of judges are from several different countries. There was only ONE Canadian judge on the panel.I'm assuming you missed the [/tongue-in-cheek] ending on Mevrouw's post?

overedge
10-31-2011, 01:20 AM
I think people are unfair to Morozov. I found the last year's Fernandez was very well packaged for "up-and-coming" skater who wants to get noticed. .

As, "OMG, what the h*ll has that coach done to him?" I'll agree he got noticed that way, and that anything would look better after the generic programs he was forced to do given last year. But I don't think it's Morozov's conscious strategy to make his skaters look as bad as they can so they will look better when they go to another coach later on.

millipied
10-31-2011, 01:24 AM
As, "OMG, what the h*ll has that coach done to him?" I'll agree he got noticed that way, and that anything would look better after the generic programs he was forced to do given last year. But I don't think it's Morozov's conscious strategy to make his skaters look as bad as they can so they will look better when they go to another coach later on.

The people, who matter, aka the judges obviously disagreed as well as the skaters themselves. So there you go.

overedge
10-31-2011, 01:29 AM
The people, who matter, aka the judges obviously disagreed as well as the skaters themselves. So there you go.

What are you talking about? Fernandez is getting noticed now, and getting good marks. He was getting noticed last year and not getting good marks.

Mevrouw
10-31-2011, 01:35 AM
Thank you, Really. I was actually AT the event every day and sat through the introduction of the judges each time, so yes, I did know the many countries of origin of each judge. :lol:

millipied
10-31-2011, 01:36 AM
What are you talking about? Fernandez is getting noticed now, and getting good marks. He was getting noticed last year and not getting good marks.

Why don't you go back and read my original message.

overedge
10-31-2011, 01:38 AM
Why don't you go back and read my original message.

I did, and I don't agree with you.

millipied
10-31-2011, 01:40 AM
I did, and I don't agree with you.

Thank you.