PDA

View Full Version : Debbie Reynolds 6/18 auction includes costumes & skates from Sonja Henie

Pages : 1 2 [3]

FigureSpins
06-17-2011, 03:29 AM
A lot of the numbers Sonja skated in her films were the same ones she was skating in her ice show, so I doubt that the studio owned the costumes she wore in the films.
I didn't know that. That explains why her biography says that 20th Century Fox paid for the show costumes. I guess she could have brought them back to the studio for the filming.

I wish I had a connection to Carol Heiss, to ask her about the cream-colored dress. Something like: "Did you wear Henie's hand-me-downs in the "Snow White" movie? How did they get it to fit so nicely?" would be good.

mysticchic
06-17-2011, 07:36 AM
I can ask Carol at Skate Detroit. PM me what excatly you want to know and I will get you an answer! BTW she is such a nice lady!

Iceman
06-17-2011, 03:36 PM
I didn't know that. That explains why her biography says that 20th Century Fox paid for the show costumes. I guess she could have brought them back to the studio for the filming.

I wish I had a connection to Carol Heiss, to ask her about the cream-colored dress. Something like: "Did you wear Henie's hand-me-downs in the "Snow White" movie? How did they get it to fit so nicely?" would be good.

Carol coaches at Lakewood, Ohio. It shouldn't be too hard to find the name of the training facilities there and to send her a letter there

FigureSpins
06-17-2011, 04:47 PM
I can ask Carol at Skate Detroit. PM me what excatly you want to know and I will get you an answer! BTW she is such a nice lady!
She seems nice. She may not want to talk about that movie; I've never seen an interview with her about her Hollywood experience. I sent you a PM. If she doesn't want to talk about the dress, that's fine. The auction will be over by then anyway, but I was just curious.

FigureSpins
06-18-2011, 03:16 AM
Interesting ... that item doesn't exist anymore. Maybe they found the headpieces? (Hope so!)

http://www.icollector.com/Two-skating-outfits-and-skates-worn-by-Sonja-Henie-in-her-skating-shows_i10658053

Jasmar
06-18-2011, 04:01 AM
It would be so much fun to own one of those - although completely impractical for me. I remember getting to wear costumes that had been used in Sun Valley Serenade for a group number I skated in one of the SV summer ice shows one year, sometime between 1989-1991. They were really heavy, totally gorgeous, and SO much fun! We felt very glamorous.

operagirl
06-20-2011, 12:54 AM
UPDATE --- The clothes were pulled from the auction, I don't know why. Perhaps they did recieve an email about the dress being from Snow White, and decided to authenticate and offer later.

FigureSpins
06-20-2011, 02:57 AM
Rats! I was hoping they were upgrading it to include other parts of the costumes or the image of Sonja wearing the gold-star-spangled dress.

I found pictures of Weiss in the cream-colored dress. In addition to the little crown headpiece, there was a fur muff that went with the outfit.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqN,!jME1Jpe1YMRBNgT)m,nS!~~_3.JPG

I think they've been auctioning lots regularly, so hopefully the dresses will go back on the block again soon.

mysticchic
07-27-2011, 05:55 AM
Spoke to Carol this week and asked her about the dress. She said she has been asked this before. The dress is a copy of Sonja's. When they were looking for a costume they saw the picture of the dress and copied it. She has no idea where it went to.

Ziggy
07-27-2011, 05:43 PM
Wow, Henie's rotation on the spins was so fast!