PDA

View Full Version : Skate for Hope 6/18

Pages : 1 [2] 3

just wondering
06-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Rachael Flatt's FB status:

]Had a blast last night, working past midnight on choreography with Alexe, Caitlin, Emily and Kate! Skate For Hope this afternoon![/I]

Looks like the girls are going to have their own number. Please let us know about this one too!

Sylvia
06-18-2011, 02:47 PM
For those wondering, the "Kate" mentioned in the previous post is Kathryn McSwain, a former competitive skater who was a finalist in the Young Artists' Showcase competition for choreographers last summer (one of her pieces featured Jeremy Abbott skating to ballet music). From Sarah and Drew's 6/17 blog:

"It was the first step to having a career," said one of last year's finalists, Kathryn McSwain. "It took me a leap forward to what I've dreamed of doing all my life. Every week, with every challenge, I had more confidence to know I could put a program together under the time gun and still keep my creativity flowing."

McSwain has recently choreographed exhibition pieces for Adam Rippon and Rachael Flatt.
Looking forward to reports from the show!

Meredith
06-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Skies are very dark right now, another thunderstorm on its way. Hope those driving to the show build in plenty of extra time.

I'm looking forward to your reports, too.

judiz
06-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Latest from Johnny, hope he makes it in time for the show.

Huh? Flight delayed due to "crew rest"? This is getting ridiculous. 14 years of airports and this is a first. Can I please just go to work?
1 hour ago

judiz
06-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Leaving shortly for my drive to Columbus. United Airlines had a big computer problem yesterday that grounded most (or all) of their flights. Could be Johnny and the Hughes were caught in it. I'm driving :D so no worries for me.

Enjoy the show, I suspect Johnny and the Hughes' problems were caused by major thunderstorms in the New Jersey/New York area.

Garden Kitty
06-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Emily tweeted a pic from the arena, so at least she made it to Columbus.

Justathoughtabl
06-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Sarah seems to have made it to Columbus. No word from Johnny since his last tweet about "crew rest." Hopefully he's in the air. It would be too late to drive now.

judiz
06-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Johnny's fan Facebook page has photos of him on the ice in Columbus so he made it safe and sound!

Garden Kitty
06-19-2011, 03:52 AM
Too tired write a detailed report, but a few highlights.

The Show was a great time and they do a wonderful job of combining the headliners with the non-elite skater numbers. Lots of cute kids and :respec: older skaters who all seemed to be having a lot of fun.

Emily Samuelson, Caitlyn, Rachael and (I think Alexe) did a great job with All The Single Ladies. Very cute number and they all looked fantastic. Emily had her hair down and could really vamp it up. Caitlyn was gorgeous, as always.

Johnny was the only headliner to do two solos - His first to Ave Maria and the second to an upbeat song (Bad Romance?). I knew what trouble he had getting there, and then they had him do the autographs and photos for the VIP ticketholders. The poor guy must have been exhausted, but he was fantastic and got the biggest audience reaction.

Rachael did her East of Eden short and Ryan did his Willie Wonka exhibition (he had trouble with his jumps, but the crowd loves him). Emily Hughes skated to Adele, and Sarah skated to a song I don't remember. Each Hughes sister introduced the other (although Sarah introduced Emily as a 2010 Olympian but then laughed and corrected herself).

Rockne and Mary Beth skated to I Just Haven't Met You Yet and did a good job. John and Caydee skated to a Mambo #5 exhibition. Marcy Hinzman and Lee Harris did something I think is called I'm the Candy Man (not he Sammy Davis Candy Man) and go a big reaction to a move where he spins her on his head. Lee seems like he'd be a great coach for little kids. He was doing some simple pairs moves with a number of the younger skaters and they were all thrilled. He really seemed to be having a good time interacting with the kids.

The pairs teams also did a group number that involved having a Jegs (the title sponsor) car on the ice. At the end, the guys skated over and took a young girl from the drivers seat (I think the daughter of the couple who own Jegs) and did some pairs moves with her.

After each of the headliners skated, a young flower girl came and brought the headliner a bouquet of flowers. A big pedal from the flowers for Johnny fell on the ice, and nobody seemed to notice it. Emily Hughes came out to introduce Sarah and Sarah skated with the pedal on the ice, but luckily she never hit it. The finale was next, and as Rachael came out with the first group for the finale, she skated over and picked up the pedal which made me relax.

A really fun show for a great cause. It was very touching how many of the headliners had family in attendance who had dealt with cancer and to see them bring flowers to their affected family member after they performed.

just wondering
06-19-2011, 04:51 AM
. . .

Emily Samuelson, Caitlyn, Rachael and (I think Alexe) did a great job with All The Single Ladies. Very cute number and they all looked fantastic. Emily had her hair down and could really vamp it up. Caitlyn was gorgeous, as always.

:lol::lol::lol: All The Single Ladies group number. :rofl: That is hilarious, especially if the Samuelson/Bates rumor turns out to be true. Was he there?

HeatherC
06-19-2011, 05:01 AM
GK-I looked everywhere for you but never saw you there! We were in section 114 down in the fourth row just in case you were around me somewhere. Sorry I missed you! :(

The show was really fun. I'm exhausted too from the driving (two hours there and two hours home with the three plus hour show in between :eek: ) but I agree with GK that everyone looked like they were having a great time. I loved Ryan Bradley's program and Johnny never fails to entertain (his second number was Lady Gaga's Bad Romance and it was awesome). Lee and Marcy were wonderful and you can tell they love to entertain. They were also two of the only 'senior' level skaters who weren't uncomfortable with a smaller ice surface thanks to their cruise ship experience. :) Joshua Ferris was wonderful! He apparently choreographed his own number (it was a John Maier song but I can't remember the title) and he's becoming a skater who seems to be a cross between Todd Eldredge and Jeremy Abbott (style + jumps). He's fully healed from his injuries at US Nats and apparently has a pretty consistant quad now! I talked to someone nearby who knows Joshua and she filled me in on how he's doing. Glad to hear that he's better. GK covered most of the other programs from the headliners but besides just the group number, Alexe also did a solo to a live vocalist (some woman from Columbus) who sang a song that I believe was the title song from the most recent Narnia movie. It was a pretty song and Alexe skated pretty well too.

We ended up sitting next to Caydee's grandparents which was quite fun through the show. We talked about all our skating adventures (grandma went to Vancouver to see Caydee skate there) and I helped her not freak out too much during John & Caydee's number (they did a few tricks that, I'm sorry, were a little too dangerous for a new team to be doing this early). They were both very sweet and after the show was over, she was worried she'd have to get in an autograph line to talk to Caydee because all the little kids were hounding them, LOL :lol:

My mom and I got to speak to Caitlyn briefly after the show was over and she remembered meeting both of us at previous competitions. I wasn't sure if she would or not but she did and was adorable and very nice to both of us. We got pictures with her and told her we were pulling for her to find a great partner. She is seriously one of the sweetest people and holy crap, someone please find this girl an awesome pairs partner! :fragile:

HeatherC
06-19-2011, 05:03 AM
:lol::lol::lol: All The Single Ladies group number. :rofl: That is hilarious, especially if the Samuelson/Bates rumor turns out to be true. Was he there?

It was a really cute number and the girls were all having a blast. :cheer:

Evan was not there so read into that what you will but I'm thinking those rumors are probably true. Mad kudos to Emily for coming and performing tonight if the split does turn out to be true. :respec:

Garden Kitty
06-19-2011, 09:39 AM
I realized after I turned off the computer that I had forgotten Alexe and Joshua. I think Joshua's program was to Gravity and Alexe did a good job skating to the live vocals which isn't always easy to do (or so I hear, not that I'm ever doing it :lol:)

During the warm up before the show, a lot of the young skaters who were in the show were in the audience, and when the headliners went by, the young skaters would often put out their hands like in a "skate around". Joshua was very cute and practically every time he went by would high five the young skaters sending many into a giggling frenzy. Sarah Hughes was also very good natured in high fiving the young skaters multiple times.

Sorry I missed you, Heather. I was on the opposite side of the arena and I'm glad to say the show was very well attended. One end was blocked off, and the other end was sparsely populated, but both sides looked about 80-90% full. I hope they raised a lot of money because it was clear a lot of work went into the show.

After the show, most of the skaters stayed on the ice for a long time signing autographs and posing for pictures. The only one who didn't come out was Johnny, but given his travel early that morning (after a frustrating evening at the airport the night before), and his meet and greet before the show, I don't blame him at all. The guy must have been exhausted, but he really went all out during his numbers and the crowd loved it.

Tesla
06-19-2011, 09:45 AM
It was a really cute number and the girls were all having a blast. :cheer:

Evan was not there so read into that what you will but I'm thinking those rumors are probably true. Mad kudos to Emily for coming and performing tonight if the split does turn out to be true. :respec:

Maybe Evan just wasn't ready. He has been off ice for a long time. I wouldn't worry about them yet based on one person's comment.

paskatefan
06-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the reviews. :) Sounds like it was a great show for a worthy cause. Glad to hear that Johnny, Emily, & Sarah made it despite the airport/flight problems.