PDA

View Full Version : Special Needs Boy Removed From Church Service

Pages : [1] 2 3

ilovepaydays
06-12-2011, 12:04 PM
I thought about putting in the PI forum, and it may need to go there.

Special Needs Boy Removed From Church Service (http://www.wsoctv.com/video/28175107/index.html)

I have wondered how often & willing churches would send children out for being too rowdy during a church service, but I never thought they should consider it for a disabled child.

There were a number of things about this story that disturbed me, and not just from the standpoint of this family with the disabled child.

1) Why does the front of the church look like a Target store? Oh, yeah, it is your typical megachurch.

2) There is a story in the New Testament about a paralyzed man being lowered down from the roof by his friends while Jesus was preaching (Mark 2:1-12). Did Jesus send him away because he was a distraction? No, he healed him.

3) So the mother offered to start a ministry at the church for the disabled and the church's answer was no and "The church focuses on worship, not ministry." Well, there is your main problem right there.

4) "It is our goal at Elevation to offer a distraction-free environment for all our guests." People going to church are guests. Seriously?

5) And what else would be a distraction? Singing off-key? Well, I guess I am not welcomed there, either.

6) I think the mother gave up too quickly by being satisfied by being told that staff was going to receive training. I still would have gotten them the ADA complaint that I'm sure the staff training was a preemptive move against.

Thoughts?

Angelskates
06-12-2011, 12:08 PM
:( very sad.

And I think ministry IS worship.

Yehudi
06-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Don't they have Crying rooms where the parents can here the sermon while making sure their kids aren't heard?

PDilemma
06-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Don't they have Crying rooms where the parents can here the sermon while making sure their kids aren't heard?

Not in mega churches. In my previous evangelical life experience, children were expected to always be sent to children's activities or a nursery during services. And obviously, nothing was available for the disabled child.

It's a fine line between keeping distractions down and not excluding children and families.

The people who feed their children breakfast (cereal with milk) and read them stories out loud (not even whispering) at our masses, for example, need to be removed. My suggestion to them would be that they could feed the children and read the stories at home and then come to ten o'clock mass when it is all done instead of feeding them and reading stories in the pew at eight o'clock mass.

skatesindreams
06-12-2011, 03:33 PM
There is a story in the New Testament about a paralyzed man being lowered down from the roof by his friends while Jesus was preaching (Mark 2:1-12).
Did Jesus send him away because he was a distraction? No, he healed him.

The church needs an "attitude adjustment".
They might start by reading that passage.

taf2002
06-12-2011, 05:07 PM
nevermind

overedge
06-12-2011, 05:14 PM
4) "It is our goal at Elevation to offer a distraction-free environment for all our guests." People going to church are guests. Seriously?

I find this attitude really disturbing, to call parishioners at a church "guests". They are not visitors to a hotel or a restaurant or a store, who are paying to purchase a product or a service. They are part of the church.

RockTheTassel
06-12-2011, 05:16 PM
I find this attitude really disturbing, to call parishioners at a church "guests". They are not visitors to a hotel or a restaurant or a store, who are paying to purchase a product or a service. They are part of the church.

I think a lot of church members consider themselves to be "guests in God's house" or something of that sort.

overedge
06-12-2011, 05:23 PM
I think a lot of church members consider themselves to be "guests in God's house" or something of that sort.

I agree with that perspective, but I still don't like the way the original statement is phrased. It doesn't sound like welcoming all guests to God's house, but more like a commercial customer service policy that is written to give the business an excuse to eject people from the premises.

skatesindreams
06-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Many "Mega-Churches" have adopted the trappings of "commercial establishments" to attract members.

dbell1
06-12-2011, 05:34 PM
Such a sad story. I continue to be dismayed at people treating the handicapped as a nuisance to be silenced, rather than someone that needs help and understanding.

He's not a 'distraction', he's a 12 year old boy with cerebral palsy. :(

Wyliefan
06-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Not in mega churches. In my previous evangelical life experience, children were expected to always be sent to children's activities or a nursery during services. And obviously, nothing was available for the disabled child.

Many evangelical churches, mega- and otherwise, do have crying rooms now. My parents' church does. And both my church and my parents' church have special-needs ministries. I've never been to Elevation and don't know anything about them, so I don't know what they have available, but a lot of churches are stepping up to the plate in this area.

PeterG
06-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Isn't removing a child from church the exact opposite of abuse? (I still feel pain from those wooden benches...)

:P

Jayar
06-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Such a sad story. I continue to be dismayed at people treating the handicapped as a nuisance to be silenced, rather than someone that needs help and understanding.

He's not a 'distraction', he's a 12 year old boy with cerebral palsy. :(

Well, I am one who thinks it's not fair to everyone else who is sitting there wanting to be part of the service. If a rowdy person-handicapped or not- interrupts my theater experience, I would ask to have them removed.

Skittl1321
06-12-2011, 06:49 PM
It seems to me a church experience and a theatre experience are very different things.