PDA

View Full Version : Tracy Morgan's Anti-Gay Tirade

Pages : 1 [2]

skatesindreams
06-11-2011, 09:04 PM
I don't watch him - never have, never will.

All of the awards and right to "free speech" in the world don't prevent him from being offensive. dangerous; and a "jerk".

LadyGray
06-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Well, philosophically, Chris Rock is of course right. It's a free country. The 'fire in a crowded theater' analogy doesn't work because you simply cannot hold someone responsible for another person's mental/emotional state.

Is this true? What is psychological or mental abuse, then? I'm not purposefully trying to be obtuse, I'm just not sure what you're saying is true.

Further, I think we have to consider the social atmosphere that is encouraged by these kinds of words/sentiments expressed publicly by a public figure. Even if your statement about there being no accountability for the mental state of others is true, what about contributing to/fueling social belief systems which encourage or expect -- or even turn a blind eye to-- the persecution of LGBTQ folks?

I do agree that Tracy Morgan should be allowed to say these particular things, but I also think that he should be roundly criticized for saying them.

However, more to the point: who the fcuk is Tracy Morgan? The article does explain his celebrity status.

DBZ
06-11-2011, 09:28 PM
I think Wanda Skyes pretty much summed up my feelings about Chris Rock and Roland Martin's defense of Tracy:

"Tracy has the right to say whatever he wants to say, just like we have the right to say, not acceptable.,” and, “WE as a country. We used to picnic to watch public hangings, but WE figured out, that was some sick shit."

I can't express how wonderful and important it is to have a perspective like Wanda's--a gay woman of color--in pop culture discourse right now. She provides a unique voice and authority on the experiences of a subculture that's rarely heard in the mainstream, in addition to being a highly visible point of reference to the broader African-American community about LGBT blacks and how they see and perceive a lot of the explicit and implicit homophobia often perpetuated in their own communities.

I doubt Rock and Martin would be so quick to defend Tracy if they really thought about what he said through their friend's perspective.

I also have to give kudos to Tina Fey for her deftly worded statement. That was, in no uncertain terms, a huge warning to Morgan if you read between the lines.

Personally, I have never understood Tracy's appeal. I never thought he was funny.

Rex
06-11-2011, 10:19 PM
I think Wanda Skyes pretty much summed up my feelings about Chris Rock and Roland Martin's defense of Tracy:

I can't express how wonderful and important it is to have a perspective like Wanda's--a gay woman of color--in pop culture discourse right now. She provides a unique voice and authority on the experiences of a subculture that's rarely heard in the mainstream, in addition to being a highly visible point of reference to the broader African-American community about LGBT blacks and how they see and perceive a lot of the explicit and implicit homophobia often perpetuated in their own communities.

I doubt Rock and Martin would be so quick to defend Tracy if they really thought about what he said through their friend's perspective.

I also have to give kudos to Tina Fey for her deftly worded statement. That was, in no uncertain terms, a huge warning to Morgan if you read between the lines.

Personally, I have never understood Tracy's appeal. I never thought he was funny.

I'm glad Wanda spoke up too - I like her and liked what she had to say about this. Count me as one who has enjoyed Tracy's performances on SNL and 40 Rock, and now as one who is disappointed that he'd make such statements. How immature and hateful. Just like Michael Richards, my perception of him has changed and he's lost a fan in me.

jenny12
06-11-2011, 10:46 PM
onally, I have never understood Tracy's appeal. I never thought he was funny.

Neither have I. I think anything humorous about him comes from the fact that he always seems like a dumbass. This tirade proves that he's not just a dumbass, but a hateful one.

I applaud both Wanda Sykes and Tina Fey for speaking out against Tracy Morgan.

VIETgrlTerifa
06-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Over at Pam's House Blend has a report from someone who was there:

http://www.pamshouseblend.com/diary/19423/not-funny-tracy-morgan

The sad thing is that none of this rant was a joke. His entire demeanor changed during that portion of the night. He was truly filled with some hate towards us. As far as I could see 10 to 15 people walked out. I had to fight myself to stay seated, but I knew if I got up... he won. He wanted to piss people off and get a rise. I didn't let him win by chasing me off, he surely didn't get any applause or laughter from me after that point - mainly because he was no longer funny to me. I wasn't holding back, it just wasn't funny. I won't even get started on his rant about how women should be home cooking him a ****ing meal and not becoming CEOs or him talking about ****ing the moms of retards.

Once again, I can take a joke. I find all sorts of things that are inappropriate funny. Life is too serious to not laugh and enjoy some humor. I now no longer enjoy Tracy Morgan's humor. It's sad that I now have to take some inventory of my love of "30 Rock".

It sums up my thoughts as well as Morgan was clearly saying his anti-gay rhetoric not in the same way as he was doing the rest of his routine.

Also, I hate it when people use the Freedom of Speech argument. Of course, Tracy Morgan has the right to say whatever he wants if so chooses to. Hell, if people want to pay to see him because they truly think talking about gays in such a horrible way is funny and actually agree with it, then he has found his audience. However, people also have a right to respond to him and take him to task for it. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of criticism, scrutiny, and repercussions.