PDA

View Full Version : Any opera lovers out there?

Pages : 1 [2]

Holley Calmes
06-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Love and respect opera, but I have a hard time sitting through a whole one. My brother is a chorus member for the Atlanta Opera and has been for many years, and I am very proud of him. I think because I am a ballet person, I am drawn to the overtures, ballet music if any, and arias, but I can't seem to sit still through a whole classical-length opera. That's a reflection on me-not opera! Any suggestions? It's like-I think I'm an Episcopalian because during our service we get to get up and down a lot!:lol: Of course before I go, I always study the story and history, so I am prepared and not just going in blind....maybe I'm just too hyper. And at my age, that's pretty scary! I don't even drink coffee.

But I am not being disrespectful. I am in awe of anyone who can sing or play an instrument with that degree of artistry.

LadyNit
06-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Love and respect opera, but I have a hard time sitting through a whole one.
---[snip]---
Of course before I go, I always study the story and history, so I am prepared and not just going in blind....maybe I'm just too hyper. And at my age, that's pretty scary! I don't even drink coffee.

My suggestion to you, which assumes that your opera company provides supratitles:

STOP reading the story before seeing the opera. Let the singing, acting, and staging tell the story to you in real time. If you like what you saw and heard, THEN go read some more about the history of the work. This strategy always works for me. (Of course my opera companion always teases me as we settle into our seats by saying, "You know they die in the end, right?" :P )

ETA: Respect to your brother. :respec: One of the best things about an opera is listening to the chorus. We have a wonderful one in Seattle and I lurrrve operas where they are featured prominently. (Fidelio gives me chills.)

Holley Calmes
06-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Yep, we have supratitles. Thanks for your suggestions and your kudos to little bro. I'll keep working on it.:)

skateboy
06-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Delurking for the opera thread! The youtube videos look squished on my screen. Does anyone else have the same issue?

Hmmmmm, I haven't had a problem with that... have you tried going into full screen?

pingu
06-19-2011, 10:36 AM
To all the opera lovers: on October 1st there will be a skating show at the Arena di Verona. Check out the italian skating/skaters thread for more infos ;)

Asli
06-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the links skateboy, I really enjoyed those. :)

Thank YOU, pollyanna, especially for the comment about Young-Ha Kim. I've always thought he was terrific, but it his been a struggle getting him work. I've sent him to countless auditions and he always sings great, but he almost never gets hired and I just can't figure out why.

His voice is so beutiful, so rich!

Just my very humble opinion: I wonder if his acting is part of the problem. After watching both parts of the first act duet from Tosca, it looked like his lack of acting skills could worry people if he is being auditioned for an opera. This is not at all the case with your other singers IMHO.

Besides, when he sings such a benchmark part like Cavaradossi, there is the danger of everyone having not one, but several beloved versions engraved in their mind. So the nitpicking is worse than for more ordinary parts. For instance, I feel that this "romanza" should be sung more like a romance, i.e. with more feeling, more tenderness. Especially where the lyrics demand it such as "l'ardente amante mia". Also, starting from "Ah! Il mio solo pensier sei tu.." - that part can send a thrill down your spine when it is sung with passion and here it almost sounds like he is bashing Tosca for distracting him.

I really hope this doesn't sound rude as this is really nitpicking. He is a wonderful tenor and such rich voices are so rare!

skateboy
06-20-2011, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the links skateboy, I really enjoyed those. :)

His voice is so beutiful, so rich!

Just my very humble opinion: I wonder if his acting is part of the problem.

I really hope this doesn't sound rude as this is really nitpicking. He is a wonderful tenor and such rich voices are so rare!

Not at all, thank you Asli! You may be right. I don't think he's a "bad" actor, but he is definitely reserved. When I just listen to the singing, I hear more emotion than when I am watching.

Young-Ha is so shy and that is a bit of a deterrent, I believe. When I was directing these Tosca scenes (and since it was a concert, we had just about an hour for staging), when he is supposed to kiss Tosca at the end of the duet, he would give her a peck on the cheek like he was kissing his grandmother! It wasn't until the actual performance that he actually gave her a full-phledged kiss!

The other thing that may be a problem is his size. He's not super short, but so slim. Many of the leading ladies are not petite. This may be a problem. There are a number of Korean singers in opera, so I don't think that is the issue.

Thanks again for your observations.

Asli
06-20-2011, 09:56 AM
The other thing that may be a problem is his size. He's not super short, but so slim. Many of the leading ladies are not petite. This may be a problem. There are a number of Korean singers in opera, so I don't think that is the issue.

You have a point, but personally I didn't even think about the size issue. If there were many other tenors with his voice quality and technique, maybe a choice could be made according to size, but as it is, his other qualities more than compensate for that. Surely the costume designer could find a solution. IMO the reservedness that you mention is more important.

Does Angela Kolkhidashvili sing mainly dramatic roles? Despite the big volume of her voice, she sounds more like lirico-leggero to me. Maybe it's youtube though.

skateboy
06-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Does Angela Kolkhidashvili sing mainly dramatic roles? Despite the big volume of her voice, she sounds more like lirico-leggero to me. Maybe it's youtube though.

Angela sings lirico-spinto roles. The dramatic roles are a bit much for her at this point--Tosca seems to be one of those roles that's now sung by everything from full lyric sopranos to dramatics. She's kind of in between. She's good at some of the Verdi roles (Trovatore) and selected Puccini, as well as some Mozart (Countess in Figaro). And she's GREAT in oratorio.