PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

rfisher
06-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Oooo...a Spinner recommendation! Adds to my list.

Spinner
06-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Oooo...a Spinner recommendation! Adds to my list.

;) Guarantee you'll love it! Another teaser, the video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsKZkzrNU5o

Matryeshka
06-28-2011, 06:13 PM
I gave up on Cutting for Stone about 70 pages in. My mom made it to 120.

I've been trying to save up books for my beach trip in early July, but it's haaa-aaard. I did breakdown and buy the new Evanovich, cause there's a Stephanie Plum sucker born every summer, and this time, it's me :P, and I'm so glad I got it at the used book store.

The last book was a little bit better than 13, 14 and 15, as I think Janet Evanovich actually wrote some of it, so I had some hope for 17. This time, I'm pretty sure it was her daughter all the way. Even by Evanovich standards (mom and daughter), the criminal is Acme Piano obvious. With a few anvils thrown in. Just in case you've never read anything in your life, there are several HINT HINT, WINK WINK this is the bad guy moments, which were eye-popping in their obviousness. It was borderline ridiculous.

I also cannot stand how much Stephanie has regressed, and if Alexandra Evanovich is going to write under her mom's name, she needs to go back and read all the previous books. That was one of the things I loved, loved, loved about the books 1-6--the character grew in ways that made sense. It was a natural progression from being pretty hopeless to being fairly good at her job. There were some glaring character consistency errors, the most jarring of which was Lula. To me, there were a couple of moments that were borderline racist. And I'm tired of Mooner. She's ridden that character for all he's worth.

She also turns Stephanie into not exactly a slut, but definitely on the walk to Easy Street. I don't really care--I really don't--if the main character male or female has multiple sexual partners. It's the way this one is written, and it's so out-of-character. She flip-flops between Morelli and Ranger for I thing four days in a row! :eek: I could forgive a lot if the sex scenes were well written, but they really weren't. It was like she read a how-to-write-a-sex-scene tutorial from Harlequin.

Since my standards are low right now anyway--so low, I'm going to revisit actual literature--I think I'm going to pick up Possession again.

Spinner
06-28-2011, 10:22 PM
I did breakdown and buy the new Evanovich, cause there's a Stephanie Plum sucker born every summer, and this time, it's me :P, and I'm so glad I got it at the used book store.

The last book was a little bit better than 13, 14 and 15, as I think Janet Evanovich actually wrote some of it, so I had some hope for 17. This time, I'm pretty sure it was her daughter all the way. Even by Evanovich standards (mom and daughter), the criminal is Acme Piano obvious. With a few anvils thrown in. Just in case you've never read anything in your life, there are several HINT HINT, WINK WINK this is the bad guy moments, which were eye-popping in their obviousness. It was borderline ridiculous.

Just as I thought. WRT the actual physical book, I was curious about its thinness so I took a look inside. Large font, double spaced, huge margins. Yeah, substance...

Prancer
06-28-2011, 10:33 PM
I gave up on Cutting for Stone about 70 pages in. My mom made it to 120.

How strange that this seems to be a common reaction to that book here, given all the raves elsewhere. It would be one thing if one or two reacted this way, but I think we're up to five?

I do remember someone a couple of threads back liking it, though.

I also cannot stand how much Stephanie has regressed

This, but even more:

There were some glaring character consistency errors, the most jarring of which was Lula. To me, there were a couple of moments that were borderline racist.

THIS. I read the first chapter of (I think) Finger-Lickin' Fifteen and was so outraged, partly by the way Stephanie's voice had changed but largely because of the way Lula was presented, that I quit reading the Plum books on the spot.

Grannyfan
06-28-2011, 10:35 PM
My quick review (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/168470400) of SJ Watson's debut novel, Before I Go to Sleep (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/before-i-go-to-sleep-s-j-watson/1100151937?ean=9780062060556&itm=1&usri=before%2bi%2bgo%2bto%2bsleep). :wideeyes: :eek: Heart raced at the end! A-MAZING!

This is next on my list.

rfisher
06-29-2011, 12:05 AM
Since my standards are low right now anyway--so low, I'm going to revisit actual literature--I think I'm going to pick up Possession again.

Don't do anything drastic! Try Jonathan Tropper's stuff. Prancer was right. They are funny. I'm reading Everything Changes. They are also awww....

Or Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun by Lois Weston. You'll smile once or twice.

I gave up on Plum after book 13.

I get that an author has to mention previous stuff in serials so a newbie reader would have some clue, but Linda Castillo needs to go back and read her first Amish mystery. Now, I just want to shake the protag and scream at her to get over her childhood trauma and move on. And, no more underage pregnant Amish girls. It's getting repetitive. Those sneaky, sexy Amish. Who knew? I hope book 4 has a new plot or it'll be my last.

Jenya
06-29-2011, 12:09 AM
How strange that this seems to be a common reaction to that book here, given all the raves elsewhere. It would be one thing if one or two reacted this way, but I think we're up to five?

I do remember someone a couple of threads back liking it, though.

I got it at the library and started reading it yesterday. I'm about 120 pages in and kind of meh about it. I don't dislike it, but it's not exactly a page-turner that I can't put down either.

I guess that makes me #6? :)

Prancer
06-29-2011, 01:00 AM
Don't do anything drastic! Try Jonathan Tropper's stuff. Prancer was right. They are funny. I'm reading Everything Changes. They are also awww....

That was his first one, I think. I haven't read it yet.

The next time a female tells me that she doesn't understand men, I'm going to tell her to read Tropper :lol:.

Erin
06-29-2011, 01:16 AM
The next time a female tells me that she doesn't understand men, I'm going to tell her to read Tropper :lol:.

Hmm...I'm tempted to try him but I was scared off by the description earlier in the thread as being chick lit for guys. I haven't been a big fan of most chick lit books, with the one exception being Bridget Jones's Diary. Are the characters less annoying than the chick lit ones?

Prancer
06-29-2011, 01:32 AM
Hmm...I'm tempted to try him but I was scared off by the description earlier in the thread as being chick lit for guys. I haven't been a big fan of most chick lit books, with the one exception being Bridget Jones's Diary. Are the characters less annoying than the chick lit ones?

It kinda depends on how annoying you find men :lol:.

I think he's only like chick lit in the sense that his books are about relationships--friends, family and lovers. His characters are more whacked than wacky; they aren't focused on living happily ever after so much as trying to survive the stupid, self-destructive things they do.

Oh, and there's not a lot of talk about shoes.:lol:

rfisher
06-29-2011, 01:40 AM
There is a lot of talk about how men think about sex and how they know they usually aren't going to get it.

Buzz
06-29-2011, 01:55 AM
Some lucky Germans got their hands on copies of A Dance With Dragons a bit earlier than the intended release date. The lucky buggers! :lol: I unfortunately have to wait for July 12th just like the rest of us unfortunates who do not live in Germany. :wuzrobbed

Erin
06-29-2011, 02:02 AM
:lol: Thanks for the detail on Tropper. I'm still unsure, but the nice thing about the e-reader is that I don't feel like I'm stuck with the book hanging around if I try it and it sucks. So I'll probably give him a try. No talk about shoes is a good start. After reading Confessions of a Shopaholic, I swore I'd never try another chick lit book again, and the shoe/purse/brand name obsession of the main character was probably a big part of that. So this has to be a step up.

Until then, I am continuing with my accounting-geek reading with two books on the financial crisis - just bought Too Big To Fail after watching the HBO movie last weekend and also All the Devils Are Here. I finally took the time to figure out how to buy books from Chapters and found out that their selection isn't a hell of a lot better than Sony's (and their prices are higher) but at least I have a few more options.

I'm also reading Truman Capote's In Cold Blood (also inspired by having recently watched the movie Capote). It's very good, aside from the gruesome subject matter - you can see why Capote is so acclaimed as a writer. My only complaint is that some sections seem overly designed to make the reader go "that was well-written"...it's almost a little too obviously well-written, if that makes sense. But that said, I'd rather have that situation than plain old poor writing. Especially after The Doctor's Wife, which took a promising premise and completely ruined it with inconsistent characterizations, plot holes you could drive a truck through, unfinished/unresolved plots and subplots, and some really cringe-worth writing.

PrincessLeppard
06-29-2011, 03:36 AM
Confessions of a Shopaholic was one of the shittiest books I've ever had the misfortune to read. I can't believe it got turned into a series.

Don't judge all chick lit by that book. :)