PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

IceAlisa
06-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Debating whether to take A Severed Head on vacation with me. Regardless, I am taking a JCO (I have lots to choose from :)), Hotel Du Lac and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, the last two were recommended by Nomad.

Leaving for vacation tomorrow. :) Hate, hate, hate flying. :(

dramagrrl
06-24-2011, 06:09 AM
I just finished reading Sisterhood Everlasting, Ann Brashares' "adult" novel about the girls of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series all grown up and on the verge of turning 30. The first third of the novel is so depressing that I actually had to put it down and stop reading for a day, but the rest, I read in one shot. Some definite "WTF???" moments and minor character inconsistencies, and some plot twists that will anger fans of the original YA series, but it's worth reading because when Brashares is at her best, she manages to capture tiny moments in beautiful pieces of writing.

Spinner
06-24-2011, 06:11 AM
I don't have to work hard; I just have to watch and wait.

So says the spider...

zaphyre14
06-24-2011, 12:33 PM
I finished "Dead Reckoning" and started Katherine Stockett's "The Help." I bought it for $1 at a church sale only because I know it's in high demand on the paperback swap site, then figured, what the heck, I'll read it first, since if so many people want it, it can't be too bad, right? :)

It's actually not bad, although I had to read some of Aibilene's phrases out loud to understand how she means the words to sound. And having been a Yankee white child in 1962, I'm finding the perspectives of Southern black women educational. It's worth $1 anyway.

BrokenAnkle
06-24-2011, 06:17 PM
I just found Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters series. I just finished book 6, and am happy that there are 10 more in the series. This is definitely a summer than I need quantities of escapist guilty pleasure reading.

dbell1
06-24-2011, 11:07 PM
:lol: @ the potential of packing 'a severed head'. Sounds like a charming, light romantic book? :shuffle:

"The Devil Colony" just arrived today. Book 7 in the Sigma series by James Rollins. Best way I can describe his writing is 'ecological/political/historical what if' type of books. I plan to spend the weekend reading. Can't wait! :)

Also re-reading Deathly Hallows in preparation for the final HP movie.

RockTheTassel
06-24-2011, 11:16 PM
I just finished reading Sisterhood Everlasting, Ann Brashares' "adult" novel about the girls of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series all grown up and on the verge of turning 30. The first third of the novel is so depressing that I actually had to put it down and stop reading for a day, but the rest, I read in one shot. Some definite "WTF???" moments and minor character inconsistencies, and some plot twists that will anger fans of the original YA series, but it's worth reading because when Brashares is at her best, she manages to capture tiny moments in beautiful pieces of writing.

I didn't know there was a sequel to the series. Another book for the summer reading list! You summed up Brashares well - definite flaws in her books, but she does do some things very well. She's not a favorite author of mine, but usually worth reading.

modern_muslimah
06-25-2011, 01:47 AM
I finished Sellout and really liked it. I'm currently rereading North and South. I think I'm becoming a little obsessed with it.:shuffle:

I'm still trying to get through Mary Barton but I don't think I'll finish it until I'm on my death bed. Normally, I would've been done with it but for some reason I feel a strange compulsion to finish it. I'm also reading Victorian London: the Tale of a City by Liza Picard. So far it's so, so but I admit that I haven't given it too much attention since I'm currently out of town visiting my family.

rjblue
06-25-2011, 01:49 AM
I just finished reading The Devil's Eye by Jack McDevitt, a science fiction/mystery novel. I was a bit disappointed, because I really liked a couple of his earlier novels with the same character and universe, but this one wasn't as engrossing.

I picked up a copy of book 1 of Stephen Erikson's Mazalan Book of the Fallen fantasy series at a fundraiser book sale at work.. It seems to have rave reviews in SF forums, and the author has completed the series, but I'm not sure if I want to be drawn into another 10 book series.

PrincessLeppard
06-25-2011, 05:58 AM
The end of Under the Dome is a little bit of a letdown, but otherwise a thoroughly enjoyable 1000+ pages.

rfisher
06-25-2011, 11:30 PM
Anybody looking for a beach read might try Lois Winston's Assault with a deadly glue gun. Kirkus Reviews describes it as: North Jersey's more mature answer to Stephanie Plum. Funny, gutsy and determined.

Prancer
06-26-2011, 01:38 AM
I've been reading My Year with Eleanor (http://www.amazon.com/My-Year-Eleanor-Noelle-Hancock/dp/0061875031), which is about a late-20-something who lost her job in the economic crash and had no idea what to do with her life. While sitting in a coffee shop, she spied a quote on a chalkboard:

"Do one thing every day that scares you."—Eleanor Roosevelt

So she decided to do just that for a year. Her experiences, interwoven with Eleanor Roosevelt's life, make for a much more interesting read than I expected. I do want to pat her on the head at times, as she seems very young, but then she does something so challenging that I am amazed at her guts, not to mention some of the things she finds to do. I actually find myself wanting to go out and DO things.

Nomad
06-26-2011, 03:54 AM
I was white to the lips and scarcely aware of what I did as I closed the book. All my senses were vividly alive -- my heart quivered within me, stirred to a panic of excitement by Ethel M. Dell's headlong tale, rendered in such violetly purple prose. Would I ever read the like again, I pondered whilst seated within the cool confines of the #5 Twinbrook, which rattled like musketry fire as it wended its perilous way round the tortuous curves upon the Seminary Road? Would henceforth all other literature be as dust and ashes for ever? But stay! The glimmer of an idea suddenly flashed upon my mind like lightning. I needed not bitterly rue the day, so sunny yet so dismal, upon which I finished The Way of an Eagle. There were other, thrillingly exciting novels by Ms. Dell awaiting me. OMNIA VINCIT ETHEL.

And that, boys and girls, is what reading the runaway bestseller of 1912 was like. I feel like I ought to do penance by reading Anna Karenina next. The literary equivalent of a cold shower.

Buzz
06-26-2011, 06:02 AM
I am re-reading The Last Station. I know I must have read it before but I cannot remember so I decided to give it another try.

IceAlisa
06-26-2011, 06:22 AM
A big thank you to Nomad for recommending Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. It's completely hysterical and the one thing that kept my sanity during the horrific turbulence we had flying over Wyoming yesterday.

:lynch: Wyoming!!!