PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67

Prancer
09-13-2011, 07:23 PM
I read Torey Hayden's One Child during the summer, it was such an interesting read, I bought 8 more of her books on ebay, just arrived today. :)

Torey chronicles her experiences with children whom she has taught over the years as a special education teacher/child psychologist. Some of her methods, I disagree with, but I enjoy comparing her tactics with my own. I basically had the "One Child" for the past two years, and I seemed to have adopted a lot of the same tactics as Torey. It felt very serendipitous finding the book, as it came when I just finished working with my "one child" and was full of doubts and hesitations.

Have you read Mary McCracken's books? I think Hayden's are better, but McCracken's books are interesting to me because she started out as a volunteer working with autistic and disturbed children (her first book, A Circle of Children (http://www.amazon.com/Circle-Children-Mary-MacCracken/dp/0451147634), is focused on this part of her career) who ended up becoming a teacher because she loved the work. She fumbled around and made mistakes and was full of doubts and hesitations, too, but she learned.

PrincessLeppard
09-14-2011, 04:00 AM
heh. dbell is ready to light up that fireplace. :watch:

my little pony
09-14-2011, 04:03 AM
dbell could have asked if anyone wanted to send her the third book for free, i'm not sure that anyone here is keeping it

rfisher
09-14-2011, 04:08 AM
I needed fuel last winter for my fireplace.

Buzz
09-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Sobibor: The Forgotten Revolt by Thomas "Toivi" Blatt. Just wanted to mention this guy and his book here as the subject of the movie came up (Escape From Sobibor) on another thread. Blatt is one of the escapees from Sobibor and perhaps one of the very few still alive. His story by itself makes fascinating reading and I recommend his books and if you are interested, read more about him online.

Prancer
09-14-2011, 03:07 PM
In the normal course of things, I wouldn't pick up Nile Rodgers' book Le Freak: An Upside Down Story of Family, Disco, and Destiny (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/le-freak-nile-rodgers/1100208416?ean=9780385529655&itm=1&usri=nile%2brodgers), but I stumbled across an excerpt from it the other day and found it fascinating and surprisingly well written. He's definitely had a different kind of life.

My Wish List is getting huge :shuffle:.

aliceanne
09-14-2011, 05:38 PM
I read "A Modern Mephistopheles" by Louisa May Alcott. (Someone on this thread recommended it, but the thread is so long, I couldn't find the message again).

It was an interesting book full of decandent people trying to find love or at least a reason to go on. I'm usually pretty good about figuring out mysteries, but I was surprised by Gladys' husband's secret.

The one character I couldn't stand was Gladys. I suppose she was necessary to get the book published (she is the pure, moral character). "A Long Fatal Love Chase" was denied publication in Alcott's time because the innocent heroine was not ashamed of being tricked into a bigamous marriage. She simply moved on.

Anyway, I was glad when Gladys died. I give her husband 6 months without her and he will be back to his old ways. (There is a not so subtle hint that he later became an actor). I guess Hellwyze was supposed to represent the devil (Alcott is not very subtle with her metaphors) but I liked him the best of all the characters.

I find Alcott a rather strange author. It is hard to tell what she really believes about women based on her characters. In spite of herself, she is still caught in the female trap of trying to please - in this case her father and his intellectual friends. I think she tries too hard to deny her sexuality because that makes her appear more intellectual?

Kasey
09-14-2011, 07:30 PM
Finished "Nothing to Envy" by Barbara Demick; thanks to all who recommended it in the "Pictures of North Korea" thread. Totally fascinating read, and just mind-boggling.

(time to take a short hiatus from books to finish cross-stitching baby stuff for my sister, and then back on! Well, maybe a book for the trip to Skate Canada...or maybe two, one for the flight there and one coming back...or maybe... ;) )

flyingsit
09-14-2011, 07:44 PM
I finished Maine this morning. Anyone else read it? I realized toward the end that I really only liked one of the main characters; the rest were annoying for various reasons.

my little pony
09-14-2011, 09:39 PM
i found a second copy of The Suspicions of Mr Whicher by Kate Summerscale while alphabetizing. Also, all my Brontes other than Jane Eyre are AWOL.

Grannyfan
09-14-2011, 09:42 PM
i found a second copy of The Suspicions of Mr Whicher by Kate Summerscale while alphabetizing. Also, all my Brontes other than Jane Eyre are AWOL.

I have that book, but I'm not sure I ever finished it. Guess I need to go dig it out. Alas, my books are not arranged alphabetically, or any other way.

BigB08822
09-14-2011, 09:46 PM
I read Torey Hayden's One Child during the summer, it was such an interesting read, I bought 8 more of her books on ebay, just arrived today. :)

Torey chronicles her experiences with children whom she has taught over the years as a special education teacher/child psychologist. Some of her methods, I disagree with, but I enjoy comparing her tactics with my own. I basically had the "One Child" for the past two years, and I seemed to have adopted a lot of the same tactics as Torey. It felt very serendipitous finding the book, as it came when I just finished working with my "one child" and was full of doubts and hesitations.

I picked up the book today at Barnes and Noble. It was only $8! :cheer: I was so surprised they had it.

rfisher
09-14-2011, 10:57 PM
My Borders is officially closed. :wuzrobbed: Books-A-Million is supposed to open sometime in November. I guess the 100 books I bought from Borders during the sale will just have to do for a while. And the new JD Robb I bought at Target yesterday.

my little pony
09-15-2011, 01:23 AM
i know where you can get a copy of the suspicions of mr whicher

dbell1
09-15-2011, 02:54 AM
Finished Mockingjay. Can understand the hatred here. Wasn't as bad as I expected based on the posts above. :P I thought 2 was pretty annoying near the end though.

Was gutted over losing Prim, but glad she wound up with Peeta. Gale was too 'soldier of war' for me. Also happy she offed Coin, but I could see that coming.

Now have 7 books coming from B&N thanks to Spinner's post above. None of them can be considered 'kid's books'. :lol: