PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67

BigB08822
09-13-2011, 04:24 AM
Brian, you might always want to check out the book swap on Goodreads. I know a few people that use that service and it's worked really well for them.

I ought to just give you some of my books because I'm so hung up on my Kindle now.

I don't read enough to get a Kindle yet but I have a feeling when school is over for me in December, I will read a lot more. I have found so many great recommendations from you guys that I have a list waiting to be read through. Did it take a while to get used to reading on a Kindle? I love holding the book and turning the pages, looking forward to see how many more pages in the chapter, the smell, etc. I know a lot of this has been mentioned but did you have reservations about the Kindle before you got it? Do most people quickly forget and fall in love?

Spinner
09-13-2011, 04:49 AM
I don't read enough to get a Kindle yet but I have a feeling when school is over for me in December, I will read a lot more. I have found so many great recommendations from you guys that I have a list waiting to be read through. Did it take a while to get used to reading on a Kindle? I love holding the book and turning the pages, looking forward to see how many more pages in the chapter, the smell, etc. I know a lot of this has been mentioned but did you have reservations about the Kindle before you got it? Do most people quickly forget and fall in love?

Most people do need some adjustment time, but you quickly get used to it. My suggestion is to try, try, try before you buy. B&N has models of all their Nook readers and has a really easy 14 day return policy with no restocking fee if you don't like it. They also have in-person assistance and free Nook classes whenever you want. I don't know if any stores demonstrate a Kindle or Sony reader, but I'm sure they're out there. My dad really enjoys iBooks on his iPad too. Also, do your research on the companies that provide the ebooks. Some offer formats that are more restrictive than others and some don't have library loan or lending capabilities. Or just ask Prancer. :P

galaxygirl
09-13-2011, 04:55 AM
NM... FSU died there for a minute so I hit 'submit' twice...

galaxygirl
09-13-2011, 04:55 AM
I don't know if any stores demonstrate a Kindle or Sony reader, but I'm sure they're out there.

Target used to (not sure if they still do) but the Kindle was attached to the display so that you couldn't pick it up and play with it. Best Buy might have some also.

I got a Nook instead of the Kindle because it's smaller and lighter and I can get library books on it (though apparently you will be able to read library books on the Kindle soon). I also really like the touchscreen instead of the keyboard and buttons.

dbell1
09-13-2011, 05:06 AM
:wall: I added 6 books to my B&N shopping cart, reset my password and it wiped everything out. Back to Amazon, I guess.

Where's Lep? I read Catching Fire tonight. :shuffle:

PrincessLeppard
09-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Hope you have that kindling ready for Mockingjay. :EVILLE:

rfisher
09-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Isn't dbell's house sort of old? She might burn the entire thing down with a fire that size.

Matryeshka
09-13-2011, 01:38 PM
'Twould be a noble sacrifice to make sure Mockingjay never sees the light of day again.

rfisher
09-13-2011, 01:50 PM
'Twould be a noble sacrifice to make sure Mockingjay never sees the light of day again.

It will be interesting to see if she sees reason and sides with you, PL and me or is clearly deluded and follows gen. :watch:

dbell1
09-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Isn't dbell's house sort of old? She might burn the entire thing down with a fire that size.

:rofl: Next up on my list "Farenheit 451." :P

Prancer
09-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Or just ask Prancer. :P

:P

I got a Nook instead of the Kindle because it's smaller and lighter and I can get library books on it (though apparently you will be able to read library books on the Kindle soon).

If you are thinking of getting a Kindle AND you are interested in borrowing library books, my advice is to wait and see how their library program works. Kindle "reads" Mobi format, more or less; there are library e-books in Mobi, but far fewer than there are in EPUB and PDF. Kindle may or may not read PDF library books, but it is unlikely that Kindle will read EPUB any time soon, if at all.

Of course, once Kindle allows library lending, there will probably be more library books in Mobi format. But for now, the Mobi library book selection is even more limited than the library e-book supply as it is. A lot of major publishers do not do e-books at all and some of those who do do not allow them for library use or restrict their library use. I am always able to find library books, but not necessarily the ones I am looking for.

If e-ink is important to you, be aware that Kindle will be releasing their tablet reader any day now. It is supposedly virtually identical to the NookColor, only with more integrated Amazon content. The rumor is that Amazon intends to focus on tablet development in the future and considers e-ink a niche market; they are not planning to completely abandon the e-ink reader, but it will no longer be their focus. If that actually turns out to be true, I know a lot of Kindle readers who are going to be hearing "Ha! Told ya so!" from me.:P

If you don't want e-ink, you might look at tablets instead of an e-reader anyway. Tablets are much more versatile and in a recent survey, tablet users who used reader apps on their tablets were reportedly happier with the reading experience than e-reader users.

Prancer
09-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Here's a little something for those of you who use book reviews to help you make purchases: In a Race to Out-Rave, 5-Star Web Reviews Go for $5 (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/20/technology/finding-fake-reviews-online.html)

Enjoy :P.

poths
09-13-2011, 06:16 PM
I read Torey Hayden's One Child during the summer, it was such an interesting read, I bought 8 more of her books on ebay, just arrived today. :)

Torey chronicles her experiences with children whom she has taught over the years as a special education teacher/child psychologist. Some of her methods, I disagree with, but I enjoy comparing her tactics with my own. I basically had the "One Child" for the past two years, and I seemed to have adopted a lot of the same tactics as Torey. It felt very serendipitous finding the book, as it came when I just finished working with my "one child" and was full of doubts and hesitations.

Marge_Simpson
09-13-2011, 06:46 PM
I've read all of Torey's books, I would love to meet her. If you check out her website, some of her former students such as "Kevin" and "Laurie" have posted there with updates about what they are doing now, as well as "Ladbrooke" from
"Just Another Kid"
Torey has also written some excellent fiction, try "The Sunflower Forest"

http://www.torey-hayden.com/

BigB08822
09-13-2011, 07:08 PM
I read Torey Hayden's One Child during the summer, it was such an interesting read, I bought 8 more of her books on ebay, just arrived today. :)

Torey chronicles her experiences with children whom she has taught over the years as a special education teacher/child psychologist. Some of her methods, I disagree with, but I enjoy comparing her tactics with my own. I basically had the "One Child" for the past two years, and I seemed to have adopted a lot of the same tactics as Torey. It felt very serendipitous finding the book, as it came when I just finished working with my "one child" and was full of doubts and hesitations.

Thanks for this recommendation. I am going into teaching next year and plan on getting certified in elementary special education. This book sounds like a must read for me.