PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67

Grannyfan
09-12-2011, 11:43 PM
i finished the 3rd flavia de luce book. i love her. she reminds me of rfisher as a girl, in love with science and corpses.

now i'm on a gk chesterton kick and now spinner sends me a link that i need like a hole in the head. i'm going to need a storage unit.

I love Flavia, too. There's a fourth one out this fall.

Artemis@BC
09-12-2011, 11:51 PM
i finished the 3rd flavia de luce book. i love her. she reminds me of rfisher as a girl, in love with science and corpses.

I love Flavia ... but found that the books really went downhill after the first one. I still enjoy spending time in her company though, and look forward to the next one.

my little pony
09-12-2011, 11:53 PM
I love Flavia ... but found that the books really went downhill after the first one. I still enjoy spending time in her company though, and look forward to the next one.

ita, i enjoy her more than the actual plot. i'm actually more concerned about what happens to buckshaw and things like that as opposed to who is murdered and why.

Artemis@BC
09-13-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm currently reading Among the Truthers by Jonathan Kay. It's about the network of conspiracy theorists (mostly) in the US who have various theory variations on the theme that the US government orchestrated 9/11.

I'm not sure if I like it. On the one hand, it's interesting to find out how many "Truthers" are very far removed from the tinfoil-hat-wearing nutjobs you might expect them to be, and are very ordinary, respectable types. And the extent of their reach in the internet age is quite incredible. But on the other hand ... I don't really care for the author's own take on the issue. He seems to think that this is a highly dangerous movement and somehow indicitave of a larger society ill -- that of the tendency to ignore facts if they don't fit your own worldview. While I agree that that can be an alarming trend in some circumstances, the flip side is a world where everyone accepts what their governments tell them at face value and never questions ... and that's not exactly ideal either.

But I'll keep reading to see where he goes on this.

BigB08822
09-13-2011, 12:49 AM
Would anyone be interested in starting a book trading club comprised of FSU members? Is that legal or frowned upon?

Allen
09-13-2011, 01:53 AM
Would anyone be interested in starting a book trading club comprised of FSU members? Is that legal or frowned upon?

I guess it's legal, they have book trading on Goodreads.

rfisher
09-13-2011, 02:29 AM
I know many of you have raided your local Borders for some screaming deals, but for those of you not near one, Barnes & Noble is offering TODAY ONLY 50% off hundreds of hardcover bestsellers and young reader titles as well as ebooks under $5! Link here (http://ebm.e.bn.com/c/tag/hAAAAAAB8GcokB8dVirAAAAAAnS/doc.html?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-BN-_-product_page-_-email.9.12.11). I ordered several... :shuffle:

ARRRGGGGHHHHHH.....just what I needed Spinner. But, I'd have ordered the books I wanted anyway. This way they're cheaper. :lol:

BigB08822
09-13-2011, 02:46 AM
I guess it's legal, they have book trading on Goodreads.

Well, if anyone is interested in an FSU book trading club then PM me. If enough people show interest then I would be happy to do the organizing, set up a website or email group, etc.

my little pony
09-13-2011, 02:49 AM
Well, if anyone is interested in an FSU book trading club then PM me. If enough people show interest then I would be happy to do the organizing, set up a website or email group, etc.

i would do it. the hard part is deciding to part with it. once i manage that, i give them away anyway.

Spinner
09-13-2011, 03:14 AM

do you mean legal in general or legal on FSU? Legal in general, sure. If you're not sure about FSU, ask SHARPIE of course.

Spinner
09-13-2011, 03:14 AM
ARRRGGGGHHHHHH.....just what I needed Spinner. But, I'd have ordered the books I wanted anyway. This way they're cheaper. :lol:

MUAHAHAHAHAHA! :EVILLE:

BigB08822
09-13-2011, 03:36 AM
I meant legal in general. I don't see why it would be against any FSU rules. :)

Allen
09-13-2011, 03:57 AM
wrong thread.

Allen
09-13-2011, 03:59 AM
Brian, you might always want to check out the book swap on Goodreads. I know a few people that use that service and it's worked really well for them.

I ought to just give you some of my books because I'm so hung up on my Kindle now.

Matryeshka
09-13-2011, 04:14 AM
I finished Tanya Huff's Blood Price. I'm not sure how to rate it--I think I would have LOVED it had I read it in 1996. It would have been new and different and really ahead of a trend. I'd have read it and thought, wow, I wish there were more urban fantasy series featuring hot vampires. :shuffle: She really was ahead of the curve.

The problem is now, it's very dated. Very, very, very dated. The publication date is 2007...but that's the reprint. I know, because I kept thinking while I was reading it, why doesn't she look this up online? Where is her cell phone? This is Scully in the dark without a flashlight! Then I looked at her website and realized the book series was published in 1991...and right after I read that, I got to the part in the book where the main character gets her first home computer :rofl: She was going to look something up with it! I LAUGHED. Besides the technology front, there have been so many urban fantasy vampire/werewolf/demon-focused series, there's nothing new, no new angle. The lore is fairly straightforward; I'd imagine it just being set in the "real world" was new enough.

It's amazing how the books that are written in the very recent past seem the most dated. Forties, fifties, sxities, I'm just fine. Eighties to late 90s annoy me. :lol:

I did get the next one because I'm hoping I can get over that bias and not compare it to other series, as it is a well-written story and I lilke the heroine A LOT.