PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67

Allen
09-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Enter at your own risk. And be prepared for much fainting and gnashing of teeth. From you and the characters. :P

You'd like to gnash your teeth on the characters and really gnash them on the author. A lot.

It's funny, a few friends of mine on Facebook said that the third book was by far their favorite. The two of you are obviously in the polar opposite camp. I actually found myself in the middle. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't my favorite of the three either. I know that Collins made some unpopular choices in Mockingjay, but I got through the book with minimal gnashing of teeth on my part.

I'm really curious to see the films. I have some theories I'm kind of playing with about the people who reside in the capital and I'm curious to see how they play out on film. If it goes a certain way, I may start working on an article.

The last time I was in Asheville, I swore I saw Jennifer Lawrence, but I thought I was crazy. Turns out they had just started film there, so it probably was her.

rfisher
09-10-2011, 09:59 PM
It's funny, a few friends of mine on Facebook said that the third book was by far their favorite. The two of you are obviously in the polar opposite camp. I actually found myself in the middle. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't my favorite of the three either. I know that Collins made some unpopular choices in Mockingjay, but I got through the book with minimal gnashing of teeth on my part.

Favorite? Are you serious? They had no problem with random killing off of characters? No problem with a total change of the protags character? Half way through I wanted them all to die except for the one who did. The author totally ran out of ideas in the middle of the 2nd book as was evidenced by the lame ending. She had no clue where the story was going in the 3rd. I freaked my dogs out with my WTF's and Are you effing kidding me? yelling. This series is a classic example of an author who started with a good idea and should have stopped writing after the first book. She and the publisher got greedy and just went for the :bribe: when the first books sales were so good. There's no way she actually planned a multibook series.

ChelleC
09-10-2011, 10:19 PM
She's getting them from the library. :P Although free is still too damn much for that third book. I'd be horrified that my taxes bought something so awful.

;)

I'm number 74 in the queue for Catching Fire. Looks like it'll be awhile before I get to Mockingjay. :lol:

Picked up :lol:The Book Thief today too.

Allen
09-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Favorite? Are you serious?

Yeah, totally serious. One of my friends was saying that the first two books are far too predictable and that the third book was the least predictable, so she liked it the best.

I think the reason it didn't bother me that much is because I read after you and PL had already panned it, so I kind of expected it to have a lot of faults. It did have a lot of faults, so I was prepared :)

Collins does have a bothersome way of making you really care about a character and then offing them in an unceremonious way.

modern_muslimah
09-10-2011, 10:36 PM
You'll need the scripts to remove drm (assuming this is purchased content from amazon, not drm-free mobi files). Apprentice Alf (http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/) is a good resource.

Apprentice Alf is very good indeed. The scripts have proved very useful since I now use a Sony Reader.

Nomad
09-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Her Royal Spyness was amusing enough, although no great shakes as a mystery. There was a lot of exposition/set-up, so the corpse didn't appear until the middle of the book. Am now reading Nina Bawden's Circles of Deceit which is excellent.

Grannyfan
09-11-2011, 12:46 AM
Finally finished Before I Go to Sleep, which resulted in heightened page turning tendencies the last twenty or thirty pages only. I know some here liked it, and some did not. I fall into the latter group. I think I will now return to my obscure choices, like Doc, which I find much more interesting even though it's a bit slow and hasn't yielded much action. Actually, that's a fairly accurate description of me as well.

modern_muslimah
09-11-2011, 01:19 AM
I'm currently reading Miss New India (http://www.amazon.com/Miss-New-India-Bharati-Mukherjee/dp/0618646531). It's kinda slow but still interesting enough to keep me reading. I am really curious to see how Anjali fares in Bangalore. I have a feeling that she'll make it materially but die spiritually. I could be wrong but it seems like that's how stories like her end.

olympic
09-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Sarah's Key is an excellent book that took place in Paris and present day. Loved the book.

Carol

Yes. Colleague at work loaned it to me. I read it in 2 days. Then, ran out to see the movie. The book haunted me.

dbell1
09-11-2011, 09:14 PM
:lol: I'm stuck in 6th grade forever. I recommended The Hunger Games to a friend's 17 year old last night. And a 50 something coworker recommended it to me.

Books 2 & 3 get here on Tuesday. I'll let ya know if book 3 makes my firepit or book shelf. :P

PrincessLeppard
09-12-2011, 12:53 AM
Get some kindling ready for the fire pit.

dbell1
09-12-2011, 02:09 AM
I'm positive Kat's father didn't die in the mines. Will have to wait until Tuesday to see if I'm right.

My last addition to the firepit collection was this thing. I'm stunned they made it into a movie. :yikes: http://www.amazon.com/Last-Templar-Mira-Sorvino/dp/B001RXDM1I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1315789609&srn=8-3

Spinner
09-12-2011, 11:14 PM
I know many of you have raided your local Borders for some screaming deals, but for those of you not near one, Barnes & Noble is offering TODAY ONLY 50% off hundreds of hardcover bestsellers and young reader titles as well as ebooks under $5! Link here (http://ebm.e.bn.com/c/tag/hAAAAAAB8GcokB8dVirAAAAAAnS/doc.html?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-BN-_-product_page-_-email.9.12.11). I ordered several... :shuffle:

BigB08822
09-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Spinner, I got that email late last night and immediately went to the website. I had to finally tell myself to get off. I can't afford any more books and I didn't know if I would be able to stop myself. I love hardbacks but the paperback sale was better since those are even cheaper!

my little pony
09-12-2011, 11:31 PM
i finished the 3rd flavia de luce book. i love her. she reminds me of rfisher as a girl, in love with science and corpses.

now i'm on a gk chesterton kick and now spinner sends me a link that i need like a hole in the head. i'm going to need a storage unit.