PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67

PrincessLeppard
09-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Thanks. I am going to jot all of these down. I have only heard of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas because I saw the movie. Not sure how keen I am on reading a book about a movie I already saw but I might give it a try. The movie was good but I can easily the see book holding my interest with a lot more details, even if I already know the basic outcomes.

They are different enough that it should hold your interest. I also prefer the book ending and am not sure why they didn't keep it. Well, I know why. The movie ending is more "cinematic," but it also takes away a lot. But we can talk more after you have read the book. :)

dbell1
09-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Just started "The Hunger Games". Wow!!! Great book. Ordered the next two already. :lol:

BigB08822
09-09-2011, 09:34 PM
The Hunger Games is great! I sent off the 2nd one and my stepmom loved it. I am going to read it when I get it back from her. I heard awful things about the 3rd one but she says it is still good, just very different from the first two.

olympic
09-09-2011, 10:18 PM
I read 'In the Garden of Beasts' by Erik Larson. It details the American Ambassador's life in Berlin in 1933 - 34 as the Nazis were consolidating their power. He was a meek man sent to Germany by FDR to deal with the Nazi Government's sporadic abuse of American citizens [many would not raise their arms in the Nazi salute and were beaten by thugs], but his eyes are opened.

It's full of intrigues. A real page turner!

Artemis@BC
09-09-2011, 10:22 PM
The Hunger Games trilogy and The Book Thief were all on the disc of e-books given to me by a friend, so they've now all been loaded onto my Kobo in preparation for when I actually have time to read again.

BTW, I have to plug a fabulous application my as-addicted-to-ebooks-as-Prancer friend told me about: Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/download). It's an awesome tool for managing your e-books, including converting from one format to another. Very useful if you replace your dead Kindle with a Kobo, for example. Plus it's free!

rfisher
09-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Just started "The Hunger Games". Wow!!! Great book. Ordered the next two already. :lol:

The Hunger Games is great! I sent off the 2nd one and my stepmom loved it. I am going to read it when I get it back from her. I heard awful things about the 3rd one but she says it is still good, just very different from the first two.

Princess, does nobody listen to us? :drama:

PrincessLeppard
09-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Princess, does nobody listen to us? :drama:

No. :drama: And that philistine genevieve actually liked the third book! :eek:

Prancer
09-09-2011, 10:31 PM
BTW, I have to plug a fabulous application my as-addicted-to-ebooks-as-Prancer friend told me about: Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/download). It's an awesome tool for managing your e-books, including converting from one format to another. Very useful if you replace your dead Kindle with a Kobo, for example. Plus it's free!

Harumph. I've plugged Calibre many times.

But I have to ask--how does one LOAD Kindle books into Calibre so they can be converted? I've never been able to do it.

rfisher
09-09-2011, 10:49 PM
No. :drama: And that philistine genevieve actually liked the third book! :eek:

Alas, we are the voice crying in the wilderness. Oh, well. Those who won't heed the warning will have to endure the consequences of their actions.

Artemis@BC
09-09-2011, 10:49 PM

But I have to ask--how does one LOAD Kindle books into Calibre so they can be converted? I've never been able to do it.

Sorry, missed your previous Calibre plugs. But a good ap like that can never have too many plugs, right?

But to answer your question, I got all the books ready-to-load from my friend, and I think she must have waved some kind of magic wand over them before giving them to me. Next time I see her I'll ask, and I'll PM you if I find out her secret.

star_gazer11
09-09-2011, 11:53 PM

You'll need the scripts to remove drm (assuming this is purchased content from amazon, not drm-free mobi files). Apprentice Alf (http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/) is a good resource.

Thanks to those who recommended Anna and the French Kiss, I enjoyed it.

my little pony
09-10-2011, 12:46 AM
my borders has 8 days left, today for the first time it looked really empty

if i had a real library, i'd get one of those ladders on wheels, borders is selling them for $600

rfisher
09-10-2011, 12:56 AM
Mine is pretty empty also. I was going to get the Alexander McCall Smith Isabelle Dalhousie books and all but one was finally gone. I don't like them as well as the No. 1 Ladies Detective series, but I was going to buy them anyway. Alas. But, I sort of went wild in the sci-fi section and literature. I had to make 3 trips to the counter with all the books. Somebody came in an bought all the shelves. One person apparently. I did get this big expensive book on wine and a new cookbook. My cookbook collection is pristine since I just like to look at them and not actually use them or anything. I have to go to the mall for something else tomorrow and I may make one more pass through the store. You can see stuff now that was hidden before. I did get a cool book on sharks.

Allen
09-10-2011, 01:09 AM
Anyone know anything about the Jennifer Estep Elemental Assassin series? I got a notice on Facebook saying the first book was 2 dollars for Kindle.

Matryeshka
09-10-2011, 03:06 AM
Anyone know anything about the Jennifer Estep Elemental Assassin series? I got a notice on Facebook saying the first book was 2 dollars for Kindle.

:cheer2: :cheer2: If you're looking for urban fantasy that has a non-vampire focus (but the occasional vampire or two popping up now and then),this is it. Love, love, LOVE the heroin--Gin Blanco is smart, tough and a total badass. I don't always agree with her decisions, but you always understand her motivations.

It's not the best writing ever, but it's a nice break from sexy, suave, megarich vampires while still being set in that type of alternative universe. It's also a weird bias of mine, but I've always found magic based on fire, water, wind, air to be more believable than eye-of-newt. I like the way she handles that element in her book.

Either dinkat or zaphyre recommended the series to me. If you're looking for urban fantasy, there was a thread on it a few months ago where I found this series and the Fever series by Karen Mooning, which is also pretty good.