PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

PrincessLeppard
09-09-2011, 02:55 AM
Although the idea of teenage girls wanting to live in that world is :yikes: to me...

One girl told me it would be cool because she would be a wife who was fertile so her husband wouldn't need a Handmaid....

Oh, and she "didn't really like reading anyway." :scream:

(Which is clear, because she missed the entire damn point of the novel.)

rfisher
09-09-2011, 03:03 AM
wrong thread

Nomad
09-09-2011, 06:44 AM
One girl told me it would be cool because she would be a wife who was fertile so her husband wouldn't need a Handmaid....

Oh, and she "didn't really like reading anyway." :scream:

(Which is clear, because she missed the entire damn point of the novel.)

Posts like this make me feel almost glad that I now do tax work for the filthy rich. Almost.

Came across this in the fourth installment of Pilgrimage: "I hate humanity, too...Isn't it a lovely day?" For some perverse reason, that made me laugh.

BigB08822
09-09-2011, 06:47 AM
Just finished reading The Book Thief. What an incredible book, probably one of my favorite books I have ever read. I laughed and I cried, that is for sure.

Spinner
09-09-2011, 06:54 AM
Just finished reading The Book Thief. What an incredible book, probably one of my favorite books I have ever read. I laughed and I cried, that is for sure.

Yay! Glad you liked it! :D

BigB08822
09-09-2011, 07:19 AM
Yay! Glad you liked it! :D

Do you have any recommendations of more books like it? I particularly enjoy books dealing with WWII and the Holocaust. It has always fascinated me, growing up one of my very favorite books was Anne Frank's Diary. I can't believe the things people went through and I feel it is so important to hear their stories, to never forget and to never repeat that part of history.

Marge_Simpson
09-09-2011, 08:18 AM
Do you have any recommendations of more books like it? I particularly enjoy books dealing with WWII and the Holocaust. It has always fascinated me, growing up one of my very favorite books was Anne Frank's Diary. I can't believe the things people went through and I feel it is so important to hear their stories, to never forget and to never repeat that part of history.

Have you read Leon Uris? My 3 favorites of his are Exodus, Mila 18 and QB VII.

PrincessLeppard
09-09-2011, 12:20 PM

Have you read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas? It has the same feel, with the humor and sadness, and a devastating, but also beautiful, ending. (which they messed up in the otherwise well done movie)

Buzz
09-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Sapper Martin - based on the diaries of a WW1 soldier who kept a diary but never told his family about it. A copy was found in his belongings in 1999 about 30 years after his death by his son and was published.

Prancer
09-09-2011, 02:15 PM
My daughter told me the other day that she has to have a book for free reading by Monday and she doesn't have any new ones. I told her I would take her to B&N this weekend to find one. I was thinking she could get something like The Hunger Games or The Book Thief or, you know, just some YA book she wanted to read.

I just got an email from her teacher saying that the book has to be written at grade level. She sent this link: http://bookwizard.scholastic.com/tbw/homePage.do.

The Hunger Games comes up as fifth grade reading level. The Book Thief comes up as fourth grade reading level.

This does not bode well.

rfisher
09-09-2011, 02:23 PM
A Streetcar Named Desire is 9th grade reading level? Maybe so, but I doubt many 9th graders will appreciate the nuance of Tennessee Williams. :lol: I wonder how they determine what reading level a book is? Composition alone? Plot comprehension? Subject matter? I could *read* at the college level by the time I was 7, but I certainly had no clue about what a college level book was really about. I read Gone With the Wind when I was in 6th grade. I got most of it, but there were some things I had to ask my mother about. Not the words (I had a dictionary and knew how to use it), but the content.

PrincessLeppard
09-09-2011, 03:11 PM
The Hunger Games comes up as fifth grade reading level. The Book Thief comes up as fourth grade reading level.

This does not bode well.

That's why that "grade level" crap pisses me off. While the actual words on the page might be at that level, the content of the books is clearly at a much higher level. Animal Farm always comes up as fourth or fifth grade, when clearly, it isn't meant for that level.

Prancer
09-09-2011, 04:05 PM
That's why that "grade level" crap pisses me off. While the actual words on the page might be at that level, the content of the books is clearly at a much higher level. Animal Farm always comes up as fourth or fifth grade, when clearly, it isn't meant for that level.

She told us not to use Lexile because grade levels are then based strictly on vocabulary.

Er, what does The Book Wizard use? Flesch-Kincaid? :yikes:

She just sent a followup email saying that she wants us to use the Reader Interest level more than the grade level, although she would prefer that we find something as close to grade level as possible. The reader interest level will work, but so far nothing I have tried has come close to being tenth grade reading level except classic adult literature, most of which is apparently ninth grade level.

BigB08822
09-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Have you read Leon Uris? My 3 favorites of his are Exodus, Mila 18 and QB VII.

Have you read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas? It has the same feel, with the humor and sadness, and a devastating, but also beautiful, ending. (which they messed up in the otherwise well done movie)

Sapper Martin - based on the diaries of a WW1 soldier who kept a diary but never told his family about it. A copy was found in his belongings in 1999 about 30 years after his death by his son and was published.

Thanks. I am going to jot all of these down. I have only heard of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas because I saw the movie. Not sure how keen I am on reading a book about a movie I already saw but I might give it a try. The movie was good but I can easily the see book holding my interest with a lot more details, even if I already know the basic outcomes.

my little pony
09-09-2011, 07:26 PM
brian, if it doesnt have to be fiction, i highly recommend "stella" by peter wyden and also "frauen" by alison owings.