PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

rfisher
06-21-2011, 12:52 PM
New release day today :cheer2: I have a list for my trip to Borders.

NancyNC
06-21-2011, 01:21 PM
:eek: Tom Cruise (http://www.wordandfilm.com/2011/06/tom-cruise-and-christopher-mcquarrie-take-aim-at-lee-childs-one-shot/) wants to play Reacher in the adaptations of Lee Child's books. Reacher is 6'4. Are they going to put him on stilts? Please don't let this happen.
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO that can't happen to one of my favorite characters!!!!! NONONONONONONONONO! :scream:

Nomad
06-22-2011, 04:41 AM
My Red Tent friend sent me a copy of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Should I be afraid?

Artemis@BC
06-22-2011, 07:55 PM
My Red Tent friend sent me a copy of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Should I be afraid?

No! Fear not! Guernsey is about 50 times >>>> than Red Tent! The ending was a tad, um, well not perfect, but the journey getting there was so much fun, more than makes up for it.

It had a special appeal for me because a. I've been to the Channel Islands and b. how ordinary citizens react and live during wartime (esp. when occupied) is a particular favourite plot point of mine. But everyone I know who's read this book loved it.

Grannyfan
06-22-2011, 08:03 PM

Never read the Red Tent, but I loved the other one.

I've just started Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks. I think it will be good.

There's a new book out called Before I Go to Sleep that I think I may try next. I've gotten away from the modern day thrillers, but it sounds pretty good.

RockTheTassel
06-22-2011, 08:19 PM
I just finished reading The House in Paris by Elizabeth Bowen. It wasn't outstanding, but definitely enjoyable. Her style reminds me a bit of Virginia Woolf and Henry James, two authors I adore.

I also did a quick reread of Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Patterson, a favorite of mine. The author really manages to capture what it feels like to be a girl in her mid-teens without being obvious or preachy. It's also set during World War Two and on an island, a time period and setting I'm drawn to.

I'm also still reading Atlas Shrugged, which was hard to get into but is becoming more intriguing.

Ah, I love being a college student during the summer and having so much time to read whatever I want. :)

Nomad
06-23-2011, 02:47 AM
Thanks for the replies re Guernsey Literary.... My friend and I like a lot of the same authors/genres/periods, but with some books (Red Tent being one) we're poles apart.

Still slogging through The Way of an Eagle, wondering why Virago Modern Classics decided to reprint it. Our Heroine stopped taking opium back in Chaper Four, so she no longer has an excuse for being stupid and annoying. I think this one is destined for the donation box.

ETA: Death of the Heart by Elizabeth Bowen is really good.

PrincessLeppard
06-23-2011, 03:06 AM
I would like to say that as much as I am loving Under The Dome, it is a damn heavy book and since I like to read while lying on my back, my arms get tired and I have to start reading. And I want to keep reading...

Should've gotten in on the reader on my iPad. But ONLY this book. ;)

Prancer
06-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Should've gotten in on the reader on my iPad. But ONLY this book. ;)

One step down the path to perdition is all it usually takes. :EVILLE:

Spinner
06-23-2011, 05:02 PM
One step down the path to perdition is all it usually takes. :EVILLE:

You're working hard to become the ultimate corruptor, aren't you?

rfisher
06-23-2011, 05:20 PM
The HP books will become e versions soon. I think this is all part of Prancer's evil scheme to rule the world.

Artistic Skaters
06-23-2011, 05:51 PM
I just finished reading An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin. Now I am really enjoying Mathilda Savitch by Victor Lodato - a coming of age story about a girl with a murdered sister.

Since it's summer, I also have to read at least one rock and roll biography. :lol:

Artemis@BC
06-23-2011, 08:09 PM
The HP books will become e versions soon.

Yes, I spotted that "Pottermore" announcement today too. At first I was confused, since I already have books 1-5 in e-book version ... but then I realized the ones I have are not exactly kosher. :slinkaway

Prancer
06-23-2011, 08:14 PM
You're working hard to become the ultimate corruptor, aren't you?

I don't have to work hard; I just have to watch and wait.

The HP books will become e versions soon. I think this is all part of Prancer's evil scheme to rule the world.

Are they going to offer enhanced content? The Potter books seem very likely candidates.

Erin
06-23-2011, 09:40 PM
I started The Doctor's Wife by Elizabeth Brundage on a plane this morning and am close to finishing it. The characters are all kind of annoying and the book is a bit preachy on the whole abortion issue, but the plot is interesting and I can't put it down, so I'd give it a recommendation for when you're wanting a quick thriller.