PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

genevieve
08-31-2011, 04:19 PM
Why? (I'm not familiar with the premise of the books or TV show)

I can understand being annoyed that the book is not written very well.

But what's wrong with first person POV? Would you be banging your head against the wall if it were well written? Or if the premise were different?
It's a combination of writing quality and the "hook" of it. The book is written from the POV of the heretofore unknown dead sister of the central character and that's going to get old, quick.

On the tv show both sisters are alive, at least for now

If anyone is watching the show and does not want to know potentially where the story is going, don't read the spoilers - although the show is already so different they may choose to never go there, who knows.

cygnus
08-31-2011, 04:30 PM
I started reading Yrsa Sigurdardóttir's Ashes to Dust a couple of days ago and I am absolutely loving it so far!

Love her books. They are hard to find here- I'll have to look into ordering that one, which I haven't read yet.

BigB08822
09-03-2011, 07:39 AM
in the top 50, my favorite of the ones I have read is The Book Thief

Thanks so much for recommending this book to me, mlp! I started it a few days ago but barely got into it then finally sat down with it tonight. I think it took me a little while because the style and format is unlike any book I have read, it was confusing at first. I am used to just reading chapters but this is set up very differently. It is a wonderful book so far, although I have really just begun. The characters are pulling me in and the writing is so witty and hilarious. I think I will really enjoy this!

Spinner
09-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Thanks so much for recommending this book to me, mlp! I started it a few days ago but barely got into it then finally sat down with it tonight. I think it took me a little while because the style and format is unlike any book I have read, it was confusing at first. I am used to just reading chapters but this is set up very differently. It is a wonderful book so far, although I have really just begun. The characters are pulling me in and the writing is so witty and hilarious. I think I will really enjoy this!

I loved The Book Thief! A friendly warning: have tissues ready when you get to "Death's Diaries", particularly "The Parisians". It wrecked me...in all the right ways. Enjoy!

mkats
09-04-2011, 12:41 AM
I finished "The Sisters who would be Queen", a huge thanks to whoever suggested it. I can't believe I was completely ignorant about Katherine and Mary Grey's claims to the throne after Elizabeth became Queen! My flight to Milwaukee for labor day vacation was delayed by an hour, so this made for perfect entertainment. The only problem is what I'll have to do on the way back, now that I finished it :drama:

Lanie
09-04-2011, 02:54 AM
I finished "The Sisters who would be Queen", a huge thanks to whoever suggested it. I can't believe I was completely ignorant about Katherine and Mary Grey's claims to the throne after Elizabeth became Queen! My flight to Milwaukee for labor day vacation was delayed by an hour, so this made for perfect entertainment. The only problem is what I'll have to do on the way back, now that I finished it :drama:

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! There's a historical novel about those three, by Ella March Chase, titled Three Maids for a Crown. Not sure how good it is but I've heard good things about it. :) I'm going to pick it up and see how it is.

Allen
09-04-2011, 05:41 AM
For all of you Vonnegut fans out there, Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=s9_al_bw_srch?node=154606011&hidden-keywords=B003XVYLDU|B003XRELGQ|B003XREM5G|B003XREL EI|B003XVYLE4|B005IHWB5C|B005IQYGW4|B005IQ5JC0|B00 5IHWBZC|B005IHWBSY|B005IHWCF6|B005IHW7MO|B005IQKF8 S|B005IHWAN0|B005IQ5H7M|B005IHW8GY|B005IHWCLA|B005 IHWC4C&page=1&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-10&pf_rd_r=1HS4QHJKB7Z9KW4F4MFQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1315670722&pf_rd_i=1286228011) now has all of his books available on Kindle for 3.99.

my little pony
09-04-2011, 04:25 PM
IA - i forgot to mention that i finished The Children's Book. I actually wished that there could be more of it. I think I am going to go back and reread Angels and Insects soon.

Since I finished The Children's Book, I read the biography of Kay Thompson and it was great, and The Ask which was pretty funny. Today I am in the middle of the 2nd Flavia de Luce mystery, which got off to a slow start but now I'm dying to get to the end.

Brian - so glad you are enjoying The Book Thief!

IceAlisa
09-04-2011, 04:47 PM
I am taking a break from the CB as the Red Princess series have arrived in the library at my request. It's a trilogy by Lisa See, a murder mystery/suspense concoction that involves a female Chinese Ministry of Public Safety (sounds an awful lot like the Soviet Ministry of State Security, huh...) inspector and an American lawyer. They are a couple. The plot takes place mostly in China and occasionally in LA.

The first book The Flower Net, was rather poorly written in terms of the quality of the prose. The plot was alright but nothing earth shattering. The reason I am reading it is because the author had done a lot of hands-on research in China so the glimpses into the lives of various Chinese characters are interesting. The Red Princes/Princesses are children of the Chinese Communist elite whose parents managed to make a lot of :bribe: using their position and connections. If there is one word in Mandarin one can learn from these books, it's guanxi. :P

The quote from Deng Xiaoping comes up quite a bit and is along the lines of "becoming rich is glorious" which encapsulates the bizarre marriage of communism and capitalism that I find so fascinating.

Right now I am on the second book, The Interior which mostly takes place in the rural interior of China. The writing has somewhat improved but is still quite awkward at times. By the time she got to Shanghai Girls, she either got a new editor or had really developed as a writer.

Looking forward to finishing the series and going back to the CB--the antidote to bad writing.

Allen
09-04-2011, 04:56 PM
IA - i forgot to mention that i finished The Children's Book. I actually wished that there could be more of it. I think I am going to go back and reread Angels and Insects soon.

I adore Angels and Insects. I have The Children's Bookready to go on my Kindle, but I keep reading something else instead. I started Vonnegut's The Sirens of Titan (which I'm not sure how I never read before) last night and am loving it so far.

My mother is notorious for hating to read. I bought her a Kindle and put the Bible on it, which is the only thing she reads. I was thrilled last night when she called last night to ask me how to go about getting other books for the Kindle, even if it was Nights in Rodanthe :shuffle:

rfisher
09-04-2011, 07:15 PM
I may or may not have bought over 50 books from Borders since the going out of business sale. :shuffle: If the price drops again next week to 70-90% off, heaven help me. And there's a new JD Robb and a new Reacher out in a couple of weeks.

Allen
09-04-2011, 07:35 PM
I may or may not have bought over 50 books from Borders since the going out of business sale. :shuffle: If the price drops again next week to 70-90% off, heaven help me. And there's a new JD Robb and a new Reacher out in a couple of weeks.

I swear Oliver bought nearly every art book and everything related to medival times they had at the Borders here and then went to two other Borders that were each about 45 minutes away and bought another carload of books.

I completed some author collections I had going like Ian McEwan, J.M. Coetzee, Margaret Atwood, and Don DeLillo. I got a few film books for myself, but they didn't have much I didn't have. So, I bought a few things they had and put them in the small library we're trying to build in our graduate student lounge.

rfisher
09-04-2011, 08:34 PM
I've only just emerged from mystery/thriller over to literature. There's still a lot left. I haven't even got to history or biology. Although I must say it's easier to find stuff with fewer things on the shelf. I bought two interesting books from the literature section. I've no idea how Border's classify's things as one should have been in mystery except it's written by Homer Hickam who wrote October Sky. It's called the Dinosaur Hunter. Two pages in and I knew Hickam had been talking to Jack Horner. I immediately went to the author page and sure enough, Horner's fingerprint is all over the book. But, it's really interesting and good so far. The dino info I know, but the cowboy/rancher vs the government in the west is an interesting take. So far only cows have been murdered, but I'm sure one or two humans are up next. The other is The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore by Benjamin Hale. It's told from the perspective of a chimpanzee who is charged with murder. Hale is a product of the Iowa Writer's workshop and he won the Michener-Copernicus Award for this first novel. I would never have picked it up except for the chimp on the cover.

PrincessLeppard
09-05-2011, 12:10 AM
I lost my mind in Border's today. Eeep.

Nomad
09-05-2011, 03:02 AM
I'm staying away from Borders. I've got a storage unit crammed full of books and another thousand here in the house. I will die before I read them all, but does that keep me away from abebooks.com and the like? No.