PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

TygerLily
08-30-2011, 04:02 AM
You won't be happy to know there's a new one coming out this fall. :lol:

Must...resist...it's so hard to read the first book of a seires and not complete the rest of it. I want to know what happens. I have the curiousity and self-control of a five-year-old. I want to know, and I want to know NOW.

I know Matry's talking about a different series, but I had to laugh in recognition at the post because I probably will keep reading the YA Brennan series for the reasons she states. :shuffle:

walei
08-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Hi Guys, need your help again.

Anyone recommend any novels with a gay main character but the theme of the book is not LGBT issue related?

You know, like a detective novel or something where the main character just happens to be gay without focusing on the the usual LGBT conflicts of coming out or social acceptance.

Thanks!!

gkelly
08-30-2011, 01:01 PM
You know, like a detective novel or something where the main character just happens to be gay without focusing on the the usual LGBT conflicts of coming out or social acceptance.

http://www.thrillingdetective.com/brandstetter.html

This is an older series that I enjoyed back in the day.

flyingsit
08-30-2011, 01:16 PM

Anyone recommend any novels with a gay main character but the theme of the book is not LGBT issue related?

Thanks!!

Just about any of the Jonathan Kellerman mysteries.

rfisher
08-30-2011, 01:26 PM

Thanks!!

Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware novels has a prominent character who is gay. While Alex is the main character, Miles is equally as important. Moreover, he's not a sterotypical gay character. He's a police detective. Kellerman doesn't focus on LGBT issues, but does create a picture of the type of prejudice Miles faces with his co-workers.

ETA. flyingsit beat me to it. :lol:

Prancer
08-30-2011, 02:22 PM

Detective novel with lesbian detective: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Abigail-Padgett/dp/0446677027/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_6

There is at least one followup. Blue is a social psychologist who has a lot of issues with social isolation; being a lesbian is part of the overall theme of being Other, but it's not the main focus, just a part of the character. I really like Padgett's books; she also does a series in which the main character is a bipolar social worker. Padgett herself was a social worker who specialized in the mentally ill, and her take on the world from a bipolar perspective is really interesting.

Some other authors to try--Pat Welch, Ellen Hart, Randye Lordon, and Claire McNab. I tend to read mysteries with women detectives, so I come across lesbian detectives quite a bit.

There's also Orland Outland's (yes, you read that name right) "Death Wore" books, which are silly-fun mysteries featuring a drag queen and his gay best friend (but not lover): http://www.amazon.com/Orland-Outland/e/B000APJN7G/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

PRlady
08-30-2011, 02:31 PM
Must...resist...it's so hard to read the first book of a seires and not complete the rest of it. I want to know what happens. I have the curiousity and self-control of a five-year-old. I want to know, and I want to know NOW.

Give in, give in, give in. :D

The thing about the second book, while it doesn't have the 'whole new world' factor of the first, in some senses it's a deeper character exploration. And it still has a terrifying ending, particularly for women. That's all I can say without spoiling, except that the door is wide open for book #3.

Grossman is good at plot. He's good at "real" conversation between identifiably human characters. He's good at building a consistent world with magic embedded in it.

What he's not so good at, I admit, is portraying real emotion between his characters. The characters themselves are so cool/brilliant/disturbed that their reactions to each other are a bit funneled through the smartass personas they seem to share, but still, there are people there and the way they relate to each other leaves something to be desired.

Nobody's perfect. I still found it un-putdownable and read it in two days.

IceAlisa
08-30-2011, 04:35 PM
You are :EVILLE:, PRLady.

zaphyre14
08-30-2011, 05:03 PM

Thanks!!

They're historical fiction but Diana Gaboldon's "Lord John..." series features John Gray who is gay in a time when being found so was punishable by death. He's not going to come out for that reason. I like them but then I'm a historical fiction fan to begin with.

Spinner
08-31-2011, 06:06 AM

Thanks!!
You might also like Sarah-Jane Stratford's The Moonlight Brigade (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10081964-the-moonlight-brigade). Part of the main character's (Mors) quest is to find his missing best friend Cleland, who is gay. Cleland's partner Padraic anxiously awaits news about him as well. It's a great historical fiction work about vampires trying to thwart Hilter--loved it! It's also the 2nd of her Millennial trilogy (she's writing book 3 now).

walei
08-31-2011, 06:32 AM
Thanks guys I will look into them!

And LOL what is it with characters who just happen to be gay be featured prominently in detective/mystery novels,..

Spinner
08-31-2011, 06:56 AM
Thanks guys I will look into them!

And LOL what is it with characters who just happen to be gay be featured prominently in detective/mystery novels,..

We are a mysterious people... ;)

MikiAndoFan#1
08-31-2011, 03:35 PM
I started reading Yrsa Sigurdardóttir's Ashes to Dust a couple of days ago and I am absolutely loving it so far!

genevieve
08-31-2011, 03:56 PM
I recently discovered the tv show The Lying Game, based on YA books by the same author did the Pretty Little Liars series. I like the tv show a lot, but read online that there are some substantial differences from the book, right off the bat. It ;looked like the books were darker than the series, so I bought the book and started it last night - and the freakin' thing in written in 1st person :wall: And not very well :shuffle:

I'm not that far into it, so maybe it will get better, but the POV narration is really annoying.

gkelly
08-31-2011, 03:59 PM
and the freakin' thing in written in 1st person :wall: And not very well :shuffle:

I'm not that far into it, so maybe it will get better, but the POV narration is really annoying.

Why? (I'm not familiar with the premise of the books or TV show)

I can understand being annoyed that the book is not written very well.

But what's wrong with first person POV? Would you be banging your head against the wall if it were well written? Or if the premise were different?