PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

PrincessLeppard
08-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Hasn't every visionary always been dragged down by the stiff-necked masses and their resistance to change?

Yep. I have my pitchfork and torch ready. :lynch:

PRlady
08-25-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm going to lose my Luddite credentials any minute. I'm not on FB, I don't tweet or skype. People marvel at how a communications director lives without such things, but I guess my standing by my Nook is going to catapult me into the 21st century.

And for the Magician King, I liked the characters the first time around, they were maladjusted smart adolescents, who are not a likable group in general. (Speaking as a former member of that tribe.) So yes, I like the book, but why would rfisher take my word on anything?

rfisher
08-25-2011, 01:25 PM
So yes, I like the book, but why would rfisher take my word on anything?

Umm....member of Voldeprancer's Book Eaters? Practioneer of the dark arts? Willing to assume the role of :EVILLE: and insane Bellatrix? Why indeed? :saint:

flyingsit
08-25-2011, 02:04 PM
I'm going to lose my Luddite credentials any minute. I'm not on FB, I don't tweet or skype. ...

Off-topic, but I was sucked into Skype by my nephew. He's 3 1/2, and he likes to video-chat with me.

zaphyre14
08-25-2011, 03:09 PM
A minion would be handling that.

I would have volunteered to be a minion (as long I got paid) last week but now that my backside is off the picket line and back among the gainfully-employed, I no longer need to sell my soul in order to feed The Dog. Prancermort's loss! And I already own a copy of the MLA Handbook - okay so it's 35 years old. Things don't change that much, right?

Wyliefan
08-25-2011, 03:19 PM
HP kids were also unpretentious; and JKR has a wonderful sense of humor, besides having an amazing imagination. :P

I've been wondering: If I started reading the HP books now, would that make me the latest bloomer EVER? :D (I did read the first one, a LONG time ago, and I've seen the movies so that I could hear the RiffTrax commentaries.)

Artemis@BC
08-25-2011, 09:17 PM
My husband and I are on vacation and were eating at our hotel tonight...and I looked up and MARGARET ATWOOD is sitting at the next table! ...

My mother saw Margaret Atwood in Scotland earlier this year. :cool: Where was your sighting?

Y'know, most of my favourite authors I wouldn't recognize if they fell on top of me. And others are so nondescript they'd have no trouble blending into a crowd. But Peggy Atwood is the exception to that rule, I'd know her anywhere.

Jealous!

(I was once on the same flight as Stephen King. I've never been the least bit afraid of flying ... but for that flight, I was very nervous!)

rfisher
08-27-2011, 01:11 AM
Just finished Kathy Reichs Flash and Bones. While some of her attempts at humor fell flat and she still does a lot of info dump (to the average reader....I always enjoy the forensic info), it was actually one of her better books. I take back my earlier snarks. The plotting was good. The annoying: I don't know what she's doing with Tempe's love life. Is she bringing Pete back into the mix? Adding a new potential lover (based on her afterward Q and A, it would seem so)? Dumping Ryan? (big mistake). I get that KR thinks she needs to keep the romance drama intact and she thinks she can't do that with only one lover, but too many and it just gets silly. And, she mentioned something somewhat significant that had me :huh: I've read all the books and knew she hadn't mentioned this before. Turns out she's writing a YA series that explains a niece that appeared from nowhere. :rolleyes: I won't bother with that.

Buzz
08-27-2011, 01:30 PM
I am off to find myself a copy of World Without End. :D

IceAlisa
08-27-2011, 05:01 PM
I've been wondering: If I started reading the HP books now, would that make me the latest bloomer EVER? :D (I did read the first one, a LONG time ago, and I've seen the movies so that I could hear the RiffTrax commentaries.)

:lol: I am glad you gave the series another chance. At first, when you read the 1st or even the 2nd book it just seems like another charming kiddy book, which of course it is. It really picks up at the 3rd book and then you are sucked in completely. What makes the series so readable and vastly enjoyable is JKR's wit, gift for writing banter and her soaring imagination. Have fun!

emason
08-27-2011, 07:55 PM
:lol: I am glad you gave the series another chance. At first, when you read the 1st or even the 2nd book it just seems like another charming kiddy book, which of course it is. It really picks up at the 3rd book and then you are sucked in completely. What makes the series so readable and vastly enjoyable is JKR's wit, gift for writing banter and her soaring imagination. Have fun!

Speak for yourself. In my case, I loved the first book, liked the second book and disliked everything after to the point where I haven't even bothered to read the last book even though I've had a copy since the day it came out. I really think this is just about the most over-rated series ever written.

IceAlisa
08-27-2011, 08:02 PM
I really think this is just about the most over-rated series ever written.

Right. Just ask Scholastic, Bloomsbury and Warner Bros. :bribe:

rfisher
08-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Speak for yourself. In my case, I loved the first book, liked the second book and disliked everything after to the point where I haven't even bothered to read the last book even though I've had a copy since the day it came out. I really think this is just about the most over-rated series ever written.

really? ITA with IceAlisa. This series is absolutely one of my favorites. I can read them or listen to the audio books over and over and find something new each time. I didn't read them until there were 4. I started the first one 3-4 times and never read beyond the 1st chapter. I thought it was just for kids. But, I gave it one more chance and once Harry got to Hogwarts, I was hooked. I devoured the first 4 books in a week's time.

emason
08-27-2011, 08:07 PM
really? ITA with IceAlisa. This series is absolutely one of my favorites. I can read them or listen to the audio books over and over and find something new each time. I didn't read them until there were 4. I started the first one 3-4 times and never read beyond the 1st chapter. I thought it was just for kids. But, I gave it one more chance and once Harry got to Hogwarts, I was hooked. I devoured the first 4 books in a week's time.

Seriously, I am not a fan and refuse to keep drinking the HP koolaid. At some point I'll probably read the last book, just because I have it and it is gathering dust under my bed, but, no, I am most definitely not a fan of the series as a whole, only of the first 2 books.

Prancer
08-27-2011, 08:21 PM
I really think this is just about the most over-rated series ever written.

I've got your back. I wasn't even all impressed with the first book. I thought Anthony Holden (http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2000/jun/25/booksforchildrenandteenagers.guardianchildrensfict ionprize2000)pretty much nailed it--and it's not like I have highbrow tastes.