PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

PRlady
08-21-2011, 06:51 PM
There are still some things I prefer in print--recipes, for example. I always print them out to use them. But for novels and such--I'd much rather read on my e-reader.

I bought Fodor's guide to Central Europe as a real book. I want to mark it, dogear it and all sorts of things I don't know how to do with an e-book. The weight is worth it. But it's the only real book I've bought since I got my Nook.

Having detoured into reading the entire Perfume A-Z, which of course makes me want to spend money I don't have, I'm back to These Shared Dreams. Very odd book. I think I should have read her first one before I took this on, although the review said the link is tenuous. I like time travel, like history, like stories set in DC, but am having trouble attaching to the characters.

My daughter isn't reading The Magician King fast enough, damn it. I want that book.

galaxygirl
08-21-2011, 07:19 PM
I am trying to calculate how many people will read this and find it utterly incomprehensible :lol:.

There are still some things I prefer in print--recipes, for example. I always print them out to use them. But for novels and such--I'd much rather read on my e-reader.

I upload my recipes and read them with my smartphone. Of course, that would be extremely difficult if I actually ever cooked anything with more than 5 ingredients and more than 2 or 3 steps...

Yes, I was actually surprised at how small the e-book collection is at the Washington consortium I linked. Even the smallest collection I can access is a lot bigger than that one.:shuffle:

That consortium is actually consists of a bunch of small, rural counties (so does my library system). Seattle has a pretty good selection (non-fiction=17,405 copies; fiction=25,105 copies).

Matryeshka
08-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Be sure and report back on The Magician King. I hated, hated, HATED The Magicians because I thought all the kids were whiny little brats who needed to be smacked down a peg or ten. OTOH, I liked the set-up, the way magic was handled and the world itself. And who wouldn't be overjoyed to find out your favorite book from childhood was real and you can visit it? Maybe Inkheart did it slightly better, but I still understood the pull of wanting to go to that world.

If something horrible happens to all the main characters, be sure and tell me. I definitely wouldn't mind reading about them getting their comeuppance. :EVILLE:

I haven't been in the mood to read anything new. It's that August ennui, or something. Instead, I've been reading the Best Bits of Sookie Stackhouse, meaning the Eric bits.

rfisher
08-21-2011, 11:12 PM
Kathy Reich's latest is out. I've read the first chapter and I want to smack her. I hate conversational 1st person. I don't mind 1st person, I just hate it when the author thinks they're cute. Reich has become the standard lazy successful writer. And, she's introducing a quasi new love interest for Tempe. I want Ryan. Lose Ryan's loser daughter and let him go back to being what was good in the earlier books. I blame that stupid TV show.

And I didn't like the Magicians either, Matry. I wanted to smack them as well.

IceAlisa
08-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Be sure and report back on The Magician King. I hated, hated, HATED The Magicians because I thought all the kids were whiny little brats who needed to be smacked down a peg or ten. OTOH, I liked the set-up, the way magic was handled and the world itself. And who wouldn't be overjoyed to find out your favorite book from childhood was real and you can visit it? Maybe Inkheart did it slightly better, but I still understood the pull of wanting to go to that world.

If something horrible happens to all the main characters, be sure and tell me. I definitely wouldn't mind reading about them getting their comeuppance. :EVILLE:

I haven't been in the mood to read anything new. It's that August ennui, or something. Instead, I've been reading the Best Bits of Sookie Stackhouse, meaning the Eric bits.

I second this heartily. Yesterday I was eyeing a hardcover copy of The Magician King but really didn't feel like spending the :bribe:. I do want to know if their whiny, engrossed in their ever-so-deepening-ennui asses get :kickass:. Pretty please.

Prancer
08-21-2011, 11:31 PM
I bought Fodor's guide to Central Europe as a real book.

:mad: E-books are real books! E-books are digital; you bought print. :mad:

I upload my recipes and read them with my smartphone. Of course, that would be extremely difficult if I actually ever cooked anything with more than 5 ingredients and more than 2 or 3 steps...

I am a messy cook; it's better that I keep my electronic devices far away from my cooking.

That consortium is actually consists of a bunch of small, rural counties (so does my library system). Seattle has a pretty good selection (non-fiction=17,405 copies; fiction=25,105 copies).

The more you have, the better off you are. There's usually a lot of overlap, but differences in demand mean differences in catalogs.

Overdrive sucks mightily, BTW, but that's what most libraries use.

I am first on waiting lists for six books. Six would be do-able, except one of those books is itself a collection of six complete books :yikes:. If history is any indication, all six books will become available at the same time.

BigB08822
08-21-2011, 11:47 PM

:lol: You should walk around with one of these with that written on it: :huh::HA!:

oleada
08-21-2011, 11:51 PM
I finished The Help, and really liked it, though I thought there was a lot of rose-colored glasses going on.

Now I've moved to Shanghai Girls - I'm almost halfway through. I like it in some parts, but I don't know how I feel about it overall yet.

PrincessLeppard
08-22-2011, 12:14 AM
:mad: E-books are real books! :mad:

Lies! :lynch:

;)

PRlady
08-22-2011, 01:35 AM
I second this heartily. Yesterday I was eyeing a hardcover copy of The Magician King but really didn't feel like spending the :bribe:. I do want to know if their whiny, engrossed in their ever-so-deepening-ennui asses get :kickass:. Pretty please.

You are a tough crowd. :wideeyes: I read The Magicians in two days, I couldn't put it down. And the kids were a lot more real than those idealistic HP types.

Honk, honk.

IceAlisa
08-22-2011, 04:01 AM
HP kids were also unpretentious; and JKR has a wonderful sense of humor, besides having an amazing imagination. :P

Spinner
08-22-2011, 04:34 AM
Lies! :lynch:

;)

This.

And for proof, the dictionary.com definition (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/book) of "book". Nowhere there does it say anything about an electronic version of an actual book. So double :P

Prancer
08-22-2011, 05:43 AM
This.

And for proof, the dictionary.com definition (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/book) of "book". Nowhere there does it say anything about an electronic version of an actual book. So double :P

Luddites.

Using a dictionary as proof of anything is rather pathetic, but I will see your very limited definition of "book" as " a written or printed work of fiction or nonfiction" and raise you one "ebook (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ebook)" from the very same source: a book in digital form.

And then there's the relevant definition of "print (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/print)": printed material

Both of which match remarkably well with what I said earlier:

It must pain you terribly that librarians define books as print or digital, too. Oh, the humanity, to be so betrayed by the gatekeepers themselves. :drama:

rfisher
08-22-2011, 11:44 AM
We're all doomed. As soon as all those studies hit the Journals (I wonder if they're digital?) that children's reading comprehension is equal and that kids may learn more when using an ereader, Voldeprancer will send out all the Bookeaters to mock us. We need a Harry.

Artemis@BC
08-22-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm about 50 pages into Swamplandia! (the ! is part of the title, not my emphasis) by Karen Russell, and I'm loving it so far.

It's about a 13-year-old girl, Ava, who is struggling to keep their family theme park, Swamplandia!, afloat (so to speak) after the death of their mother, the star attraction alligator wrestler. Her other challenges include her older sister's obsession with ghosts, and their competition from a new flashier nearby theme park. So ... imagine Flavia de Luce dropped into Water for Elephants, and you have a general sense of it. But weirder and darlky funny too.