PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

mkats
08-20-2011, 02:33 AM
Due to the lack of internet, I've been reading a lot recently :shuffle: and finished Sara Gruen's Ape House in one day. I liked it even better than Water for Elephants! I thought I'd be rolling my eyes at the predictable super-sappy love triangle endings, but that wasn't what happened at all, and she managed to calm me down enough by the end that I wasn't screaming bloody murder at the villains :lol:

IceAlisa
08-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Here's some inevitable bitching regarding The Children's Book: the problem is virtually the same as in Possession. It seems to me at times Byatt tries too hard. She happens on an idea, a great idea at that, and then she works it to death with laborious effort.

For instance, the discussion of the Exposition in Paris in 1900 is wound around the new force that would shape the 20th century--electricity, the Art Nouveau AND ever so cleverly tied up with the electric sexual tension experienced by the young Julian. But somehow I can see the effort, I can see the stitches as Byatt herself would say. For some writers this allusion to connections comes easier, seamlessly. Still a very good book, with its flaws.

Prancer
08-20-2011, 08:22 PM
rfisher will be happy to know that I got Matry's smutty book and read it.

rfisher will also be appalled to know that every chapter begins with a snippet of Byron, most of it from Don Juan, which reminded me of how much I love Don Juan, and so now I am reading Don Juan again.

If it makes you feel better, rfisher, I almost certainly won't finish it, as I generally prefer my poems short, but :lol::lol::lol: at Byron.

rfisher
08-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Good. I don't feel bad Borders didn't have it. Instead, I now have 30 or more other new books to read. :shuffle: I take it you didn't read all the back posts in the snark thread while you were ill. Not that a sane person would do so. However, I did post a comment about a communication's prof who specializes in reading who just sent a paper off to some journal that compared reading comprehension in children using an ereader and a book. Sadly, there was no difference and the kids using the ereader developed multitasking skills better because they had to manipulate the computer. Alas. This means I will have to get one. My last hope that books were better has been dashed to pieces.

Prancer
08-20-2011, 09:22 PM
Good. I don't feel bad Borders didn't have it.

You could just skip the snippets, you know :lol:. Besides, nearly all Georgians/Regencies/Victorians, no matter how silly or historically inaccurate, feature a bluestocking female protagonist or at least one who reads all the major writers of the era. It always cracks me up to read one in which the dialogue and manners are completely wrong for the era, yet the heroine is the scholarly type who studies all the time and is in danger of developing a squint (unlike, one assumes, her author). Although she reads what were at the time popular, not classical, works, and so there was nothing particularly intellectual about it :shuffle:.

I read one a while back in which reading Jane Austen was supposedly some sort of radically feminist act. Austen even shows up in the book to talk about the failings of men. Bwahahaha!

But I digress. Matry's heroine was not a bluestocking.

I take it you didn't read all the back posts in the snark thread while you were ill. Not that a sane person would do so. However, I did post a comment about a communication's prof who specializes in reading who just sent a paper off to some journal that compared reading comprehension in children using an ereader and a book. Sadly, there was no difference and the kids using the ereader developed multitasking skills better because they had to manipulate the computer. Alas. This means I will have to get one. My last hope that books were better has been dashed to pieces.

You can always remind yourself that one study does not a theory make. Besides, you have to read all those books you just bought before you can justify buying an e-reader, by which time there no doubt be a better e-reader on the market.

rfisher
08-20-2011, 10:27 PM
True. Sniff. What's sad is apparently their hypothesis was that ereaders would equate with poorer comprehension and they didn't. There's an entire lab devoted to studing this at the university.

And I figure half my new stash will bore me two chapters in and they'll go in the to the library stack. What will I do with my new ereader and boring books? :wuzrobbed: There goes my tax deduction.

Erin
08-20-2011, 11:25 PM
I have finally renewed my library card and figured out how to use my library's e-book system, so I'm in business. The downside is that their selection is absolute crap. That said, I did manage to get a few books, which I'm hoping will get me through my business trip that starts tomorrow. I've started Confessions of a Prairie Bitch, which is off to a really good start. Although reading it, I sure feel that I led a rather sheltered life in comparison to Allison Arngrim.

I've also got Unbroken based on the recommendation further up this thread and This is Where I Leave You, as I wanted to give Tropper a second try (but for free this time).

Prancer
08-21-2011, 01:34 AM
True. Sniff. What's sad is apparently their hypothesis was that ereaders would equate with poorer comprehension and they didn't.

Heh heh heh. That doesn't surprise me at all. There is nothing inherently magical about print.

And I figure half my new stash will bore me two chapters in and they'll go in the to the library stack. What will I do with my new ereader and boring books? :wuzrobbed:

You'll delete or archive the boring books immediately and never have to look at them again? Then you will go online, find more books and download them immediately?

You will have to surrender the tax deduction, but you can find so many free and cheap e-books that it makes up for it, at least a little.

And no one says you have to have one or the other; I know plenty of e-reader resistant types who don't have e-readers, but everyone I know who has an e-reader still reads print.

Although reading it, I sure feel that I led a rather sheltered life in comparison to Allison Arngrim.

:lol: Didn't we all?

I've also got Unbroken based on the recommendation further up this thread and This is Where I Leave You, as I wanted to give Tropper a second try (but for free this time).

Unbroken is very good; it's by the same author who wrote Seabiscuit.

It's too bad that your library doesn't have more to offer. Is it possible for you to get access to another? What you really need to do is get access to a big library consortium; that's how you get access to lots of e-books.

galaxygirl
08-21-2011, 02:06 AM
Heh heh heh. That doesn't surprise me at all. There is nothing inherently magical about print.

I actually find that my focus and comprehension are much better with my Nook than with a printed book, mostly because (1) I can adjust the font size, line spacing and margin widths and (2) I can't flip back and forth in the book and spend lots of time looking at the pictures and maps. :shuffle:

It's too bad that your library doesn't have more to offer. Is it possible for you to get access to another? What you really need to do is get access to a big library consortium; that's how you get access to lots of e-books.

I also suffer from a library with a small selection. I can get a free library card from the Seattle library system, but I have to get it in person and that's a half day trip (to and from).

Prancer
08-21-2011, 02:45 AM
I also suffer from a library with a small selection. I can get a free library card from the Seattle library system, but I have to get it in person and that's a half day trip (to and from).

I think this is a consortium (http://anytime.lib.overdrive.com/2E262AC4-20C9-4D4C-9D91-28A47CFA32C6/10/504/en/default.htm)for Washington state (as opposed to DC); can you get a card from one of the member libraries (http://anytime.lib.overdrive.com/2E262AC4-20C9-4D4C-9D91-28A47CFA32C6/10/504/en/Libraries.htm)?

galaxygirl
08-21-2011, 03:13 AM
I think this is a consortium (http://anytime.lib.overdrive.com/2E262AC4-20C9-4D4C-9D91-28A47CFA32C6/10/504/en/default.htm)for Washington state (as opposed to DC); can you get a card from one of the member libraries (http://anytime.lib.overdrive.com/2E262AC4-20C9-4D4C-9D91-28A47CFA32C6/10/504/en/Libraries.htm)?

Thanks!! It looks like the Puyallup library is the closest and they have a reciprocal agreement with my library system. I could also try the Tacoma library. Maybe on an upcoming 3-day weekend, I'll make a day trip of it get Puyallup, Tacoma and Seattle library cards at the same time (and make a stop at IKEA on the way back...).

TygerLily
08-21-2011, 03:36 AM
I'll make a day trip of it get Puyallup, Tacoma and Seattle library cards at the same time (and make a stop at IKEA on the way back...).Best day trip ever!

Just check the library hours since ours are often closed on the Monday of long weekends but not the Saturday (or Sunday when applicable).

galaxygirl
08-21-2011, 03:47 AM
Best day trip ever!

Just check the library hours since ours are often closed on the Monday of long weekends but not the Saturday (or Sunday when applicable).

Yeah, hopefully they'll all be open on the Saturday.

Erin
08-21-2011, 05:01 AM
And no one says you have to have one or the other; I know plenty of e-reader resistant types who don't have e-readers, but everyone I know who has an e-reader still reads print.

While this is true, now that I've got an e-reader, I don't want to go back to print. I get very bitter every time I find that something is unavailable for e-readers because I've been so spoiled by reading on the e-reader that I hate going back to print.

Unbroken is very good; it's by the same author who wrote Seabiscuit.

Yes, that was one of the main reasons I went for it - I read Seabiscuit this winter and enjoyed it.

Mine actually is part of a consortium, but I guess the key word in there is "big"...a consortium of libraries across a province with a population of 1M is probably not going to be the greatest. I would expect that it probably is possible for me to get access to some other library...but given that it took me 9 months to take the time to figure out how to get e-books from my own library (a process that probably took less than 40 minutes in total, including driving to the library to renew my card, once I finally decided to do it), I think I'll save looking into that for another day. Especially since I managed to find enough to keep me busy for a while.

On another topic, I had an annoying experience with I Capture the Castle and I was wondering if anyone else has had anything similar happen. I was reading along and, having seen the movie ages ago, I had a rough idea of what was going to happen with the plot and kept thinking that there didn't seem to be enough pages left in the book for the amount of plot that I remembered to be left. Well, lo and behold, I get to the last page of the book and it is by no means the end of the plot. But I tried re-dowloading the book and it really appears that there are no more pages. So basically, I only bought half the book, without knowing it. And there doesn't seem to be any other way to get the other half of the book (aside from going and getting the print copy, which is a little irritating, given that I already bought the book). I've put in a complaint to Kobo, but doubt I'll hear back anytime soon, and I'd really like to finish the book.

Prancer
08-21-2011, 01:26 PM
While this is true, now that I've got an e-reader, I don't want to go back to print. I get very bitter every time I find that something is unavailable for e-readers because I've been so spoiled by reading on the e-reader that I hate going back to print.

I am trying to calculate how many people will read this and find it utterly incomprehensible :lol:.

There are still some things I prefer in print--recipes, for example. I always print them out to use them. But for novels and such--I'd much rather read on my e-reader.

Mine actually is part of a consortium, but I guess the key word in there is "big

Yes, I was actually surprised at how small the e-book collection is at the Washington consortium I linked. Even the smallest collection I can access is a lot bigger than that one.:shuffle:

Ohio may not have much, but we have :kickass: libraries.

So basically, I only bought half the book, without knowing it. And there doesn't seem to be any other way to get the other half of the book (aside from going and getting the print copy, which is a little irritating, given that I already bought the book). I've put in a complaint to Kobo, but doubt I'll hear back anytime soon, and I'd really like to finish the book.

I haven't had that happen, but I've had other annoying experiences with e-books. I am trying to read one now that has missing words on nearly every page. Some publishers are just sloppy, I think, and are rushing everything into e-book form without taking the time to check the quality.