PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

TygerLily
08-14-2011, 02:12 AM
Read a good one this week about Modern India called New Miss India. The author is Bharati Mukherjee.:cheer: I saw Mukherjee read from this book, so I heard her voice as if she were narrating for me! I'm glad to hear someone else liked the book. It was much darker than I expected based on the excerpt she read from -- the first chapter -- but I like that about her writing. She has dealt with serious topics in the close third person with naive protagonists before, so I liked seeing that here again. Then again, I spent a lot of the book yelling at Anjalie in exasperation.

ETA: For those not familiar with Mukherjee, most of her fiction has focused on immigrants to Canada/the US. At the reading, she said that it was on a visit home [my word choice -- by home I mean India, but I don't recall that she called India home] that she realized that the migration within India was significant and an issue she wanted to explore.

PDilemma
08-14-2011, 04:49 PM
ETA: For those not familiar with Mukherjee, most of her fiction has focused on immigrants to Canada/the US. At the reading, she said that it was on a visit home [my word choice -- by home I mean India, but I don't recall that she called India home] that she realized that the migration within India was significant and an issue she wanted to explore.

Our little library doesn't have anything else by her. :rolleyes: Too bad
I thought the book was really good.

I also read Curtis Sittenfield's The Man of My Dreams this week. I liked it better than her other novels, though, just like the others, the main character is vaguely unlikable.

PRlady
08-14-2011, 05:03 PM
I also read Curtis Sittenfield's The Man of My Dreams this week. I liked it better than her other novels, though, just like the others, the main character is vaguely unlikable.

I didn't know she had a new one out. I thought Prep was much better than I expected, and agree the protagonist isn't so admirable. I have a feeling Ms. Sittenfield is pretty hard on herself, actually, and her characters suffer the same fate.

flyingsit
08-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Finished two books in the past two days... The Poison Tree by Erin Kelly and The Silent Land by Graham Joyce. I liked both but didn't love either.

Spinner
08-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Finished two books in the past two days... The Poison Tree by Erin Kelly and The Silent Land by Graham Joyce. I liked both but didn't love either.

I read the Silent Land too and am of the same opinion. The concept and weird happenings were interesting but overall it was ok. I'm no prude, but I also found the gratuitous descriptions of their sexual encounters a bit unnecessary to the story. Just tell me they had sex and leave it at that.

Lacey
08-15-2011, 02:17 AM
Just got back from vacation. Read:

Unbroken by Lauren Hillenbrand

Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese

Both fabulous.

Matryeshka
08-15-2011, 02:32 AM
Really? I couldn't get through Cutting For Stone. I finished Never Let Me Go, and I have to say, I'm very very glad no one told me what Halisham was in advance. If I had known, I'd never have picked up the book, and that would have been a shame. It could have so easily been a horror book, or pulpy, but it was haunting and beautiful.

I also read Idiot America by Charles Pierce. I will say this about it--if you're already a Liberal, you don't need to read this book because you've already formed similar opinions for similar reasons. If you're a Conservatitve, his tone would put you off even giving him a chance. He writes nothing about how to bridge gaps, solutions, etc. I'm tired of reading books--from both sides because there are some Republican and Conservative authors I will read--that are essentially rants of I'm right, and everyone who doesn't agree with me is not only wrong, but an idiot.

PDilemma
08-15-2011, 02:36 AM
I'm tired of reading books--from both sides because there are some Republican and Conservative authors I will read--that are essentially rants of I'm right, and everyone who doesn't agree with me is not only wrong, but an idiot.

Don't forget evil. Those who don't agree are not just idiots, they are evil idiots who are trying to destroy America.

Add that and you have summed up what is wrong with American politics. And I'm afraid it is just going to get worse.

IceAlisa
08-15-2011, 02:55 AM
Don't forget evil. Those who don't agree are not just idiots, they are evil idiots who are trying to destroy America.

Add that and you have summed up what is wrong with American politics. And I'm afraid it is just going to get worse.

Can we take this kind of talk to PI? :rolleyes:

star_gazer11
08-15-2011, 03:31 AM
Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter - fast, fun young adult read about teen con artists/thieves. The preceding book is called Heist Society.

IceAlisa
08-15-2011, 03:47 AM
I am about 200 pages into The Children's Book and am enjoying the scenery so far. mlp, how do you like it?

my little pony
08-15-2011, 03:58 AM
i am currently on 438 as i type, i like it a lot although i dont know why it is taking me so long to finish it.

IceAlisa
08-15-2011, 04:17 AM
I am taking it slow. It's not the kind of book you inhale over the weekend, not like In Her Shoes anyway.

BigB08822
08-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Barnes and Noble is having a 50% off sale on their 500 most popular paperback books. Great deal except I can not find a way to get to a list of these books. Might be a glitch that will get worked out before morning comes around.

This is for one day only.

Here are their best selling paperbacks and they are marked down:
http://browse.barnesandnoble.com/browse/nav.asp?env=web&visgrp=fiction&N=1012&Ne=1012&act=A04

Anyone have any recommendations that are must buys at this price?

my little pony
08-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Here are their best selling paperbacks and they are marked down:
http://browse.barnesandnoble.com/browse/nav.asp?env=web&visgrp=fiction&N=1012&Ne=1012&act=A04

Anyone have any recommendations that are must buys at this price?

in the top 50, my favorite of the ones I have read is The Book Thief