PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Matryeshka
08-11-2011, 01:22 AM
I just started Never Let Me Go. I really like it so far, even though I have no idea what's going on.

jeffisjeff
08-11-2011, 01:24 AM
Am I the only one who knew (or had a good sense) early on what was going on in that book? I still really liked it though.

Grannyfan
08-11-2011, 02:38 AM
Am I the only one who knew (or had a good sense) early on what was going on in that book? I still really liked it though.

I had some idea before I read it, but I did not like it very much at all. I just found the author's use of a bazillion flashbacks annoying. I guess for me it was a case of being disappointed after reading so much hype about it.

PrincessLeppard
08-11-2011, 03:38 AM
PL, have you read Cold Vengance yet? ::waiting impatiently::

No. :shuffle: I found Matry's smut novel on my last Borders visit....

rfisher
08-11-2011, 04:03 AM
No. :shuffle: I found Matry's smut novel on my last Borders visit....

ACK! There are things to discuss. Babies, possible dead characters, cliffhangers, real vs faux wives. Nazis. Get on with it!

I couldn't find the smut novel.

oleada
08-11-2011, 04:10 AM
I love, love, love Never Let Me Go. I actually feel that way about most of Ishiguro's novels. I just love the way NLMG builds and then catches you off guard. When I've taught the book in sophomore lit classes, students either love it or despise it.

I swear, you are like my twin. Or triplet if you include Hedwig. :)

ETA: I'm really tempted to buy this; I just saw it at B&N: Girls in White Dresses (http://www.amazon.com/Girls-White-Dresses-Jennifer-Close/dp/0307596850), by Jennifer Close. Pretty much describes my life at the moment.... :shuffle:

IceAlisa
08-11-2011, 04:55 AM
I love, love, love Never Let Me Go. I actually feel that way about most of Ishiguro's novels. I just love the way NLMG builds and then catches you off guard. When I've taught the book in sophomore lit classes, students either love it or despise it.

Do you guys mean the chapter where the reveal happens? I haven't read it but am familiar with the structure of the book and seems that as JKR would say, anvil-sized hints are dropped on the first pages.

But perhaps you mean something else. I've been putting off reading it because the subject matter is so heart-rending. But it's on my shelf, waiting for me to stop being chicken.

Not when you live on the West Coast. ;) OK, I'll settle for :cheer2:

taf2002
08-11-2011, 07:41 PM
I have a scene from a book stuck in my head. There are 2 women & 1 man eating ham sandwiches. Man is really hungry due to some trauma but is trying to act nonchalant, like he's only eating the sandwich to keep them company. Without looking at him, both women take a half of their own sandwich & put it on his plate. He breaks down & (I think) cries. I'm pretty sure it's from a book but it could possibly be a movie. Can anyone ID this?

flyingsit
08-11-2011, 07:46 PM

No, I kind of knew what was going on. As if I'd been told without being told.

Artemis@BC
08-11-2011, 07:53 PM
I finished Never Let Me Go two nights ago... and I cried. I've never read a book like that that manages to build a full story that yet has its characters almost shrouded in mystery, so that you know almost nothing about them other than their day to day happenings, and yet have you've come to care so much for them at the very end. Like I've said, I've never read anything like that.

It was about midnight and I was sitting in my room blubbering and unable to go to sleep. Since I knew I had to be up early for the work the next day, what did I do? Haul out Captive Queen ... That dried up the tears real quick...what drivel.

I had pretty much the same reaction to Never Let Me Go. Lots of movies make me cry, but very few books do, and this one was one of them. It was a few years ago now, but I still remember the feeling ...

However my "solution" was very different from yours. I just went to work the next day with puffy eyes. :( I didn't want to dive right into another book the same night, and in fact waited a day or two to read anything else at all -- I didn't want to, well, let go of the intense feelings I had for the characters and their story.

BTW, I think I mentioned this earlier, but I also loved the movie. It wasn't as good as the book obviously, it couldn't be, but it did a superb job of capturing the mood, somthing I didn't think would be possible. And it helped that for me there was a gap of at least 4 years between book and movie.

mkats
08-11-2011, 11:01 PM
I'm reading Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff right now and LOVING it. I read the segment about the crazy bloodshed of the earlier pharoahs killing their relatives to my boyfriend over the phone and there was this indignant pause, followed by stuttering "how far back was this again? Had humans evolved from animals yet?!" :lol:

PRlady
08-11-2011, 11:53 PM
I found my next book today: http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/michael-dirda-reviews-this-shared-dream-by-kathleen-ann-goonan/2011/08/09/gIQAevPG7I_story.html.

Time travel, good writing, set in DC. Sounds great.

IceAlisa
08-12-2011, 12:36 AM
I found my next book today: http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/michael-dirda-reviews-this-shared-dream-by-kathleen-ann-goonan/2011/08/09/gIQAevPG7I_story.html.

Time travel, good writing, set in DC. Sounds great.

Ooooh, this sounds interesting.

BigB08822
08-12-2011, 04:15 AM
If you could only recommend one book (or series) for the rest of your life, what would it be?

I would probably recommend Harry Potter. I know, cliche, but they are so good!

John 3 17
08-12-2011, 04:35 AM
If you could only recommend one book (or series) for the rest of your life, what would it be?

I would probably recommend Harry Potter. I know, cliche, but they are so good!

Chronicles of Narnia.

-Bridget