PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

PDilemma
08-08-2011, 02:00 AM
I went to Borders again. It's all rfisher's fault. Among the books I picked up was Not My Daughter by Barbara Delinsky. 17 year olds making a pregnancy pact...it's like a Lifetime movie aka total drek. But I find myself in the mood for dreck right now :D

Oh...read that. It was terrible. :lol: A little beyond dreck. But not the worst Delinsky I've read. That is reserved for Family Tree--a plot so improbable she makes Jodi Piccoult look like a literary genius.

(It's a small town library...there isn't a lot there. Don't judge me :slinkaway )

oleada
08-08-2011, 02:10 AM
I think the terribleness is why I like it; in the same way I enjoy the occasional Lifetime movie. It's soooo cheesy :rofl:

PrincessLeppard
08-08-2011, 02:11 AM
Genevieve, you are not alone! Book 3 is a step down from 1 and 2,

If you mean like the number of steps in, say, a skyscraper, then yes, I agree.

;)

PRlady
08-08-2011, 02:14 AM
oh noes

i ended up staying in all day because i havent been able to put it down

i am also hoping for something from auntie violet's pov

I needed a Venn diagram for the characters....

Grannyfan
08-08-2011, 02:17 AM
Anyone ready anything by Mary Doria Russell? A friend suggested her to me and curious what others think.

I'm reading Doc now. It's about Doc Holliday. Not much action yet, but she's been introducing all the other well-known characters associated with him: Kate, The Earps, Bat Masterson, etc. I'm liking it so far even though Doc hasn't said, "I'm your Huckleberry," yet. :)

star_gazer11
08-08-2011, 03:25 AM
Anyone ready anything by Mary Doria Russell? A friend suggested her to me and curious what others think.

I started The Sparrow years ago and gave up fairly early on. Could not get into it at all.

I'm reading Doc now. It's about Doc Holliday. Not much action yet, but she's been introducing all the other well-known characters associated with him: Kate, The Earps, Bat Masterson, etc. I'm liking it so far even though Doc hasn't said, "I'm your Huckleberry," yet. :)

I haven't read either of these, but I do remember enjoying A Thread of Grace, which takes place during wwii.

IceAlisa
08-08-2011, 05:50 AM
oh noes

i ended up staying in all day because i havent been able to put it down

i am also hoping for something from auntie violet's pov

I finished the JW book (that is in dire need of editing of the final chapters) and and am now back to The Children's Book.

I have a few hours to read tonight and will report back tomorrow. PRLady will hold our hand through the difficulties, right PRLady? :P

my little pony
08-08-2011, 05:53 AM
I needed a Venn diagram for the characters....

twice i went to the wikipedia page to identify a character, warning it is slightly spoilerish

IceAlisa
08-08-2011, 06:08 AM
I luuuuuurve spoilers.

PRlady
08-08-2011, 12:40 PM
I finished the JW book (that is in dire need of editing of the final chapters) and and am now back to The Children's Book.

I have a few hours to read tonight and will report back tomorrow. PRLady will hold our hand through the difficulties, right PRLady? :P

Not when you live on the West Coast. ;)

Prancer
08-10-2011, 02:05 PM
I downloaded An Embarrassment of Riches (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Embarrassment-of-Riches/Gerald-Hansen/e/2940000803271) and it is the first e-book I have ever found unreadable because it is an e-book. Whoever did the conversion should be shot; no trial or appeal, just shot. The font changes in every. single. paragraph. One will be boldface, the next italicized, the next so small it can't be read without enlarging the text, the one after enormous, etc., etc.

It is really annoying, as what I managed to read was highly amusing and gave me a whole new set of Irish slang to lob at allezfred, but there is no way I am willing to slog through that mess. I can't believe none of the reviewers have commented on it and wonder if something happened to my download. :mad:

I tapped over to The Soldier's Wife (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/soldiers-wife-margaret-leroy/1100201401), which so far has been fairly predictable--unhappily married woman sees her husband off to war, the German soldiers move in and take over, she begins a clandestine affair with a German officer, and wrestles with her conscience. I really like the author's writing style; like the story's protagonist, it seems quiet on the surface, but there's something churning underneath. I know that several people have read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/guernsey-literary-and-potato-peel-pie-society-mary-ann-shaffer/1100259926?ean=9780385341004&itm=1&usri=guernsey%2bliterary%2band%2bpotato%2bpeel%2bp ie%2bsociety) and I thought they might like this book. I haven't read the TGLPPS, so I don't know if there are any similarities other than the fact that both books are set on Guernsey during the German occupation, but there is that.

rfisher
08-11-2011, 12:24 AM
PL, have you read Cold Vengance yet? ::waiting impatiently::

oleada
08-11-2011, 12:41 AM
I loved Never Let Me Go. It's so intimate, and builds slowly, and then you get to that chapter, and it hits you in the gut.

mkats
08-11-2011, 12:53 AM
I finished Never Let Me Go two nights ago... and I cried. I've never read a book like that that manages to build a full story that yet has its characters almost shrouded in mystery, so that you know almost nothing about them other than their day to day happenings, and yet have you've come to care so much for them at the very end. Like I've said, I've never read anything like that.

It was about midnight and I was sitting in my room blubbering and unable to go to sleep. Since I knew I had to be up early for the work the next day, what did I do? Haul out Captive Queen (that one that was all about Eleanor's sex life and that was going to get returned without me ever getting through the first chapter) and read about ten more pages. That dried up the tears real quick...what drivel.

Allen
08-11-2011, 01:03 AM
I loved Never Let Me Go. It's so intimate, and builds slowly, and then you get to that chapter, and it hits you in the gut.

I love, love, love Never Let Me Go. I actually feel that way about most of Ishiguro's novels. I just love the way NLMG builds and then catches you off guard. When I've taught the book in sophomore lit classes, students either love it or despise it.