PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Prancer
08-01-2011, 05:37 PM
What do you mean?

Left out the word "both" the first time through.

zaphyre14
08-01-2011, 05:38 PM
I've finally crawled onto the Stieg Larsson train and am a little more than 1/2 through "...Dragon Tattoo." I don't really know what I expected but this isn't it and I'm interested enough to keep reading.

I also joined Goodreads over the weekend, for no good reason other than to see how many books I've read. It's an on-going project. :)

IceAlisa
08-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Left out the word "both" the first time through.

Oh. I was asking what your "entirely different reasons" were, I suppose.

Buzz
08-01-2011, 08:23 PM
The Road of Bones by Jeremy Poolman. A British journalist journey of discovery along Russia's Road of Bones. So called because it was built by prisoners of the country's Gulag system many of whom died while working on the road and their bones buried beneath the road where they fell.

Artemis@BC
08-02-2011, 04:49 PM
... and The Absolutely True Diary of A Part Time Indian.

Ooh, another favourite of mine! I love Sherman Alexie, and this one was one of his best. It had me laughing out loud from page 1.

BTW, if you like First Peoples lit, I have a ton of excellent Canadian titles I can recommend.

PDilemma
08-02-2011, 05:01 PM
In the fluff category, I just read Meg Cabot's Insatiable. The fly leaf reads as if she is going to mock the abundance of romantic vampire novels. Don't trust the fly leaf. It's a grown-up Twilight complete with inexplicably irresistible heroine and over-the-top perfect lead vampire. Having read several of the Princess Diaries books when I taught tenth graders, I knew that Cabot has some snark in her and was expecting better. I have no idea why I finished it.

I'm halfway through Tropper's This Is Where I Leave You. I'm really liking it. So thanks to whoever made that rec.

I have the sequel to Shanghai Girls on hold at the library along with Maeve Binchy's newest Minding Frankie. I felt like Binchy phoned in her last two books, so I'm not expecting much from that. I love some of her older stuff and keep hoping she gets her groove back and keep reading them.

IceAlisa
08-02-2011, 05:09 PM
I have the sequel to Shanghai Girls on hold at the library

I am getting it too knowing it contains a giant can of whoopass for Joy.

PDilemma
08-02-2011, 05:19 PM
I am getting it too knowing it contains a giant can of whoopass for Joy.

Exactly. Looking forward to that....just hoping it comes in for me before the fall semester begins. I have exactly three weeks to read fluff then it is back to history.

oleada
08-02-2011, 05:31 PM
In Cold Blood is one of my brother's faves, hence the purchase.

Are you sure you weren't reading Loretta Chase? :lol:

No, but clearly my subconscious thinks I should be :lol:

Ooh, another favourite of mine! I love Sherman Alexie, and this one was one of his best. It had me laughing out loud from page 1.

BTW, if you like First Peoples lit, I have a ton of excellent Canadian titles I can recommend.

I'm not a fan of First Peoples lit (not that I dislike it, just never read it), but everyone I know how's read this book has raved about it. Good to know you like it too! :)

I finished What I Saw and How I Lied in one sitting, which was good but not great. I moved on to Room and I was so into it, I nearly missed my Subway stop. :shuffle: The narration takes a bit of getting used to but once I got over it, it's a great read.

Matryeshka
08-02-2011, 05:48 PM
In the fluff category, I just read Meg Cabot's Insatiable. The fly leaf reads as if she is going to mock the abundance of romantic vampire novels. Don't trust the fly leaf. It's a grown-up Twilight complete with inexplicably irresistible heroine and over-the-top perfect lead vampire. Having read several of the Princess Diaries books when I taught tenth graders, I knew that Cabot has some snark in her and was expecting better. I have no idea why I finished it.

I read that about a year ago and had much the same reaction. She came out with a sequel, and I thought about perusing used book stores for it just to see the end, but after reading the reviews, I'm not even doing that. The sequel hit the Trifecta of Dissatisfaction--people who like vampire novels hated it, people who like romance novels hated it, and people who like Meg Cabot novels hated it.

The reviews all aluded to a very ridiculous, very far-fetched WTF ending, so I might read the last few pages the next time I go to a bookstore.

Erin
08-02-2011, 06:19 PM
I have the sequel to Shanghai Girls on hold at the library along with Maeve Binchy's newest Minding Frankie. I felt like Binchy phoned in her last two books, so I'm not expecting much from that. I love some of her older stuff and keep hoping she gets her groove back and keep reading them.

Agree on loving Binchy's older stuff and not so much on the newer books. I didn't even bother with Minding Frankie. Somewhere after Tara Road is I think where Binchy kind of lost her way and her books became more about cutesy characters rather than real stories. When I need a fix, I'll go back and re-read The Glass Lake, Circle of Friends, Echoes, or Light a Penny Candle...I figure it's time better spent than re-reading her new stuff.

rfisher
08-02-2011, 06:24 PM
I got Cold Vengeance before PL! :D Pendergast :kickass:

galaxygirl
08-03-2011, 02:30 AM
The Road of Bones by Jeremy Poolman. A British journalist journey of discovery along Russia's Road of Bones. So called because it was built by prisoners of the country's Gulag system many of whom died while working on the road and their bones buried beneath the road where they fell.

Ooo, that sounds interesting! How is it so far?

oleada
08-03-2011, 03:00 AM
I loved Room to bits. The child narrator takes a bit of getting used to but once I got past it, I could not put it down.

Kasey
08-03-2011, 03:15 AM
I loved Room to bits. The child narrator takes a bit of getting used to but once I got past it, I could not put it down.

Ditto. It was really a great read, once I got past the idiosyncrasy of it.

Working on "The Innocent Man" by John Grisham right now...a true life crime book, rather than a novel. Very interesting case, and a rather sad indictment against police bullying, which unfortunately does occur. And finished Jeff Corwin's "100 Heartbeats" a little while ago; really well-written without being overly political (although enough)