PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Allen
07-31-2011, 05:10 PM
How to barricade one's home so one's brain does not get eaten?

Also that shooting zombies in the head generally deters them.

Artemis@BC
07-31-2011, 05:26 PM
Zombies eat your brains. What more is there to know?

Spoiler alert!

oleada
07-31-2011, 08:00 PM
One of my neighbors left a stack of books up for grabs in the mail room, so I now own The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which has been in my to-read list for a while :D

lmarie086
07-31-2011, 09:19 PM
Reading Game of Thrones, and I LOVE it. I've only had it for a couple days and I've been working a ton, but I'm already 1/3 in. Excellent novel and I'm so happy it's part of a series, as I've been looking for a new one.

PrincessLeppard
07-31-2011, 10:57 PM
I went to Borders to get the smut Matry recommended, and they didn't have it. So I picked up a book called The Werewolf Upstairs. I don't usually like werewolf stories, but it looks cute. And promises some hot sex. So. Yeah.

oleada
08-01-2011, 02:43 AM
I also went to Borders today and walked out with a stack that included Room, In Cold Blood, Never Let Me Go, What I Saw and How I Lied, and The Absolutely True Diary of A Part Time Indian.

What is it about me and reading books about grief? I just finished How To Talk to A Widower by Jonathan Trollop. At least this one was funny :D I liked This Is Where I Leave You more, though.

IceAlisa
08-01-2011, 04:29 AM
Ooooh, In Cold Blood makes your blood cold. Also, all you like-minded readers browsing Borders, if you see Zadie Smith On Beauty for a good price, grab it. I liked it a lot and IRRC, Prancer did too.

Allen
08-01-2011, 04:42 AM
Ooooh, In Cold Blood makes your blood cold. Also, all you like-minded readers browsing Borders, if you see Zadie Smith On Beauty for a good price, grab it. I liked it a lot and IRRC, Prancer did too.

I love On Beauty as well. I taught it in a sophomore level lit class for English majors and they loved it, which surprised me a little.

I have to admit that I've never been able to make it through In Cold Blood.

I'm starting Mark Danielewski's House of Leaves in the morning for a thesis project I'm directing. I've read Only Revolutions and love it, but I've never gotten around to reading House of Leaves.

Prancer
08-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Jonathan Trollop.

Are you sure you weren't reading Loretta Chase? :lol:

Love both books for entirely different reasons.

rfisher
08-01-2011, 01:37 PM
I love On Beauty as well. I taught it in a sophomore level lit class for English majors and they loved it, which surprised me a little.

I have to admit that I've never been able to make it through In Cold Blood.

I'm starting Mark Danielewski's House of Leaves in the morning for a thesis project I'm directing. I've read Only Revolutions and love it, but I've never gotten around to reading House of Leaves.

I might have investigated this, but as soon as I read you used it for a class, it went to the On Beauty list. And anything anybody is writing a thesis on. :yikes:

In Cold Blood scared the crap out of me. I was home alone reading it one night when my dog started growling at the door. My parents lived out in the country. I nearly had a heart attack when one of their neighbor's head appeared in the window. I was holding a shotgun and ready to just shoot through the door.

Allen
08-01-2011, 02:54 PM
I might have investigated this, but as soon as I read you used it for a class, it went to the On Beauty list. And anything anybody is writing a thesis on. :yikes:

You are aware that plenty of books that are fun and worthwhile are taught in classes, right? ;) Not everything is 19th century epistolary novels and Tolstoy.

rfisher
08-01-2011, 02:57 PM
:lol::lol:
You are aware that plenty of books that are fun and worthwhile are taught in classes, right? ;) Not everything is 19th century epistolary novels and Tolstoy.

None that I ever had. :lol:

Allen
08-01-2011, 03:03 PM
:lol::lol:

None that I ever had. :lol:

Then you took the wrong classes. However, from what I understand, what is considered acceptable to teach in a literature class has radically changed in the last 10-15 years.

I'm not even going to risk mentioning all of the books in this thread that I know have been taught in lit classes. :rofl:

IceAlisa
08-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Love books for entirely different reasons.

What do you mean?

Finished Shanghai Girls, good book. Spoiler.....

Wanted to slap that useful idiot Joy upside the head at the end of the book.

I started The Children's Book but have nothing to complain about yet.

rfisher
08-01-2011, 04:43 PM
I'm not even going to risk mentioning all of the books in this thread that I know have been taught in lit classes. :rofl:

First, there are a lot of books mentioned in this thread I wouldn't read unless I develop a severe case of insomnia, and then I'd just pick up a professional journal article which usually does the trick.

Second, don't mention them in the event I do want to read them because I will be irretrievably biased. :lol: