PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Prancer
07-30-2011, 02:08 AM
My husband looks at me with a look that says "why aren't you reading something that is enlightening?"

The only thing my husband ever says to me about reading is "How can you keep your eyes open for so long?"

Well, and sometimes something like, "Do I want to know why you are reading about forensics?"

I may have bought 10 books at Borders. :shuffle: I may be going back next Tuesday.

But you have to. They're going out of business. I think there's a law that requires you to buy as many books as possible under those circumstances.

rfisher
07-30-2011, 02:26 AM
There were a lot of mysteries and thrillers left. They were at 20% and I got an additional 10% with my Borders+ card. I expect them to drop another 10% each week. I got 4 new authors today, a Louise Penny I didn't have, 2 Troppers, 3 Henning Mankells. I moved a couple of things I want kind of behind some other stuff so they'll still be there when the price drops again. :shuffle:

Romances will drop to 40% and I plan to get a few of the more interesting ones of those. Our store still has quit a bit of inventory. I'm going to look at the kids stuff next for Xmas for my niece and nephew. She's 10 but doesn't like anything scary. I read Gone With the Wind by the time I was 10, but I don't think she's quite up to that. :lol:

IceAlisa
07-30-2011, 04:00 AM
The only thing my husband ever says to me about reading is "How can you keep your eyes open for so long?"

Well, and sometimes something like, "Do I want to know why you are reading about forensics?"

My husband wanted to know why I was reading a book on poisons, especially one called "The Poisoner's Handbook". :lol:

Spinner
07-30-2011, 06:07 AM
I moved a couple of things I want kind of behind some other stuff so they'll still be there when the price drops again. :shuffle:
:lol: Naughty!

rfisher
07-31-2011, 12:49 AM
If you're looking for humorous mystries, try Sophie Littlefield's A Bad Day for Sorry (won an Anthony and RT Book Reviews award and was short listed for an Edgar, Barry, Crimespree and Macavity award) or A Bad Day for Pretty (which I'm reading because Borders didn't have the other).

"Stella had shaved her legs...and not just the calves and knees, but her thighs too, an extra effort she hadn't made in ages. Yesterday she'd suffered the indignity of a bikini wax down at Hair Lanes, which entailed not just memorable pain, but also Pearl, the aesthetician, whistling through her teeth and remarking, "Guess it's been a while since you got the lawnmower out of the shed, ain't it Stella.""

Publishers Weekly says: Littlefield's rollicking second novel..delivers on the promise of the debut...Littlefield weilds humor like a whip, but never lets it dilute the whodunit. A force to be reckoned with, Stella is a welcome addition to the world of unorthodox female crime fighters.

my little pony
07-31-2011, 01:31 AM
the children's book, i has it. i hope to start it tomorrow. the salesgirl and i gushed about possession for a while.

borders didnt have russian winter or whatever that russian one with the jewel was

IceAlisa
07-31-2011, 03:59 AM
And ballet too! I am glad you has The Children's Book, mlp. I am going to start reading as soon as I finish Shanghai Girls, which is soon.
Get ready for the A.S. Byatt-related bitching, everyone. :P

Allen
07-31-2011, 04:53 AM
I'll be interested to hear what you all think of The Children's Book. I downloaded it to Kindle, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

IceAlisa
07-31-2011, 07:33 AM
Believe me, Allen, I will share my thoughts. :P

With only 50 pages more to go, I have to say that Shanghai Girls wasn't at all what I expected in terms of plot. Spoilers to follow...

Since this is summer and I was looking for something fluffier than usual, I thought I'd read about elegant cosmopolitan Shanghainese women, lounging around in beautiful silk dresses, sipping champagne. And I wasn't wrong although la dolce vita lasted about 15 pages or so. I should have known because this was China in the late 1930's.

Overall, I am pleased with the book and think will get the paperback of the sequel when it becomes available.

modern_muslimah
07-31-2011, 02:17 PM
You let your husband guilt you into enlightenment? What does he know? An enlightened man would let you read whatever you damn well please. :drama: You need to learn to answer that look with one of your own that will make him decide to go outside and mow the lawn or something.

I let him guilt me for two seconds. But then the drivel manages to come back into the house somehow. So he reads his books on current events and religion and I read my smutty romance novels. :saint:

My husband wanted to know why I was reading a book on poisons, especially one called "The Poisoner's Handbook". :lol:

:lol:

modern_muslimah
07-31-2011, 02:18 PM
Sort of how I feel if I eat too many potato chips. :slinkaway

:lol:

rfisher
07-31-2011, 03:47 PM
I read whatever I want. If it's considered drivel by some, I don't care. I read because the book is interesting. I have no compunction whatsoever to read something because I should be enlightened, or it's *literature*, or someone thinks I should read X, Y or Z, it's a classic or whatever. I read assigned material in college and grad school. Never again. I have absolutely no desire or intention to pick up War and Peace. If I don't like a book by the end of the first chapter, it goes in the donation pile. Life is too short to read boring books. :) And there are too many entertaining books just waiting to be picked up.

PrincessLeppard
07-31-2011, 03:56 PM
But everyone should read at least one zombie novel in order to be prepared for the coming apocalypse. Then you can go back to your meaningless drivel. ;)

Read World War Z before the movie with Brad Pitt :scream: comes out and ruins it...

rfisher
07-31-2011, 04:45 PM
Zombies eat your brains. What more is there to know?

PrincessLeppard
07-31-2011, 04:47 PM
How to barricade one's home so one's brain does not get eaten?