PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Artemis@BC
07-28-2011, 11:54 PM
Amazon editorial review (for To Say Nothing of the Dog) ... Its title is the subtitle of Jerome K. Jerome's singular, and hilarious, Three Men in a Boat.

Funniest. Book. EVER!

IceAlisa
07-29-2011, 12:01 AM
Oh, it also has a lot of fine jewelry in the plot. ;) I am in! :glamor:

I'll look up the Tropper book.

I have to tell you that it is narrated by a Jewish male but decidedly NOT a Sheldon. Lots of sex, as advertised. :P Also, it is hysterically funny.

ChelleC
07-29-2011, 12:37 AM
And for IceAlisa, and anyone else who is either Russian or loves dance, you must get Russian Winter. A mystery wrapped up on Stalinist Russia and the Bolshoi.

Russian Winter is definitely on my wish list. Thanks for the recommendation!

zaphyre14
07-29-2011, 01:31 PM
:cheer2:drivel:cheer::cheer2:

I'm about five pages from finishing Tamar Meyers' "Butter Safe than Sorry: A Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery." I don't care for the main character, the mystery isn't much of a mystery and the best thing about the book is the recipes in between each chapter, even though they have nothing whatsoever to do with the story and are mostly taken from a Wisconsin cheese website. I won't bother with any more of these.

I have an old Jonathan Kellerman going in the car now: "Monster". Gory but good.

Loretta Chase is a local author for me, I've read her stuff for decades and usually enjoy them. She's got a decent sense of humor.

modern_muslimah
07-29-2011, 02:09 PM
I just finished reading Wish You Were Here by Phillipa Ashley. The author is a member of another forum I frequent. I think the story had potential but in the end it just fell flat. I know it was a romance but it still felt very formulaic. Plus, there were certain scenes (such as Beth's little sister's pregnancy scare) that didn't seem to actually add anything to the novel but a few pages. Lastly the writing style just didn't appeal to me. I felt it was too quirky. I gave it two stars on Goodreads because I did manage to make it through and I did like the main characters.

Now I'm reading Major Pettigrew's Last Stand and Taliban: An Unknown Enemy. I haven't gotten very far in either but I'm enjoying them more if only for the fact that I can tell the writing is done by people who have honed their writing skills.

rfisher
07-29-2011, 02:26 PM
:cheer2:drivel:cheer::cheer2:

Drivel :respec:

I plan to increase my drivel collection with my trips to Borders' sales. I'll through in a weighty mystery or two, but absolutely nothing that reeks of literary aspirations or pretensions. I might even throw an erotica or two in the basket if there are any left. Just because. Drivel lovers of the world unite. :cheer2:

Evilynn
07-29-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm on vacation, so I've been reading dragon books left, right and center. :lol: I quite liked "A Dance With Dragons" (am looking at that thread now, actually), felt the 6th Temeraire book was meh (sort of like book 2-5, now that I think about it, it seems like Novik is just trying to write one book set on every continent. :blah:) and Robin Hobb's "Dragon Haven" was better than the Temeraire book, but comes off very poorly in comparison to George RR Martin.

Somehow I also finished Shirley Jackson's "We Have Always Lived In the Castle", and horror classic or no, I found it sort of boring.

I'm keeping up the vacation reads by finally getting to Terry Pratchett's "I Shall Wear Midnight" and will probably finish that way too quickly.

PDilemma
07-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Summer term is over. I have three weeks to read fluff. I'm planning on picking up a Meg Cabot, Ally Carter, the only Tropper book our tiny library has...

More suggestions please?

galaxygirl
07-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Summer term is over. I have three weeks to read fluff. I'm planning on picking up a Meg Cabot, Ally Carter, the only Tropper book our tiny library has...

More suggestions please?

I'm reading 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children'. I think that's the name. It might not be the type of fluff you're looking for, but I'm finding it to be an easy read so far. A boy's grandfather tells him stories about the children's home in Wales that he (a Jew) was sent to during the war. After the grandfather's death the boy finds a letter from Miss Peregrine dated 15 years ago in his grandfather's stuff. He goes to Wales with his dad to find Miss Peregrine and finds out that the home was bombed by the Germans on the same day his grandfather said he arrived there. And that's as far as I've gotten. It's a little creepy in a harmless, young adult way.

modern_muslimah
07-29-2011, 08:19 PM
Drivel :respec:

I plan to increase my drivel collection with my trips to Borders' sales. I'll through in a weighty mystery or two, but absolutely nothing that reeks of literary aspirations or pretensions. I might even throw an erotica or two in the basket if there are any left. Just because. Drivel lovers of the world unite. :cheer2:

I like a bit of drivel (that's why I read the last book I did) but if I read too much then I feel bad. My husband looks at me with a look that says "why aren't you reading something that is enlightening?"

So I've got one foot in the drivel door and one foot out.

rfisher
07-29-2011, 08:53 PM
I like a bit of drivel (that's why I read the last book I did) but if I read too much then I feel bad. My husband looks at me with a look that says "why aren't you reading something that is enlightening?"

So I've got one foot in the drivel door and one foot out.

You let your husband guilt you into enlightenment? What does he know? An enlightened man would let you read whatever you damn well please. :drama: You need to learn to answer that look with one of your own that will make him decide to go outside and mow the lawn or something.

Artemis@BC
07-29-2011, 10:21 PM
I like a bit of drivel (that's why I read the last book I did) but if I read too much then I feel bad.

Sort of how I feel if I eat too many potato chips. :slinkaway

star_gazer11
07-30-2011, 12:31 AM
Folly by Marthe Jocelyn was okay. Victorian YA.

I started my first Nora Roberts book, The Key of Light. I'm liking it so far, it's the first book of a trilogy. Contemporary romance with some magic and mythology.

genevieve
07-30-2011, 12:31 AM
I just discovered that my favorite bookstore is having a 20% off sale all weekend for books purchased in-store. :cheer2: I will have many new books to read by Sunday! if only I could be more motivated to finish the one I'm reading now

rfisher
07-30-2011, 12:58 AM
I may have bought 10 books at Borders. :shuffle: I may be going back next Tuesday.