PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

immoimeme
07-26-2011, 11:14 PM
I REALLY really highly recommend "Heart of Dryness: How The Last Bushmen Can Help Us Endure The Coming Age of Permanent Drought," by James G. Workman.

really really. If you only read one book this year, READ THIS!!!

Allen
07-27-2011, 12:15 AM
I just finished Amiee Bender's The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake and absolutely adored it. I was already a Bender fan, but she blew me away with this one.

Prancer
07-27-2011, 02:13 AM
I just finished Amiee Bender's The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake and absolutely adored it. I was already a Bender fan, but she blew me away with this one.

Another English professor I know recommended that one to me and the Nook version of that book is on sale (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Particular-Sadness-of-Lemon-Cake/Aimee-Bender/e/9780385533225?itm=2&usri=the+particular+sadness+of+lemon+cake); I think I will add it to my already far-too-big collection of unread books. :P

Allen
07-27-2011, 02:20 AM
Another English professor I know recommended that one to me and the Nook version of that book is on sale (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Particular-Sadness-of-Lemon-Cake/Aimee-Bender/e/9780385533225?itm=2&usri=the+particular+sadness+of+lemon+cake); I think I will add it to my already far-too-big collection of unread books. :P

I had been meaning to read it for some time, but I kept ending up reading something else instead. Last night, I went on Amazon.com and found it on sale, so I downloaded it and ended up reading it very quickly. I love the style of Bender's short stories. Her first book wasn't as successful for me, but I loved this one. I've heard of some people not liking aspects of the book, but I loved it.

Matryeshka
07-27-2011, 02:31 AM
After my foray into high li-tra-chure, I decided it was pirate-cover time and read the historical romance Your Scandalous Ways by Loretta Chase which featured a courtesan. As the romantic heroin. No, it was not a Victorian erotica or anything like that, and it did have some romance conventions, but some things that I loved about it:

1. Not only was she a courtesan, she liked sex and made no apologies for it. She was capable of enjoying sex with someone other than the hero (not that she did in this book, but in the past). This is a problem even with contemporary novels: the heroin is usually only allowed to enjoy sex with the hero; previous attempts always were bad, uncomfortable, painful, or Bad In Some Way.

2. The heroin got to be RIGHT. Usually in romance novels, the hero (even if he's a smug arrogant bastard) is always right about whatever loony mystery is added in and the heroin realizes she loves and needs him when she is proved wrong. Not only that, she rescues him at a few points.

3. The girl is not stupid. At no point does she lie/keep hidden some bonehead secret you can see coming a million miles away. Neither does the hero. For what and where they are, their decisions make sense.

The dialogue was good and it is one of the few romance novels where you can see how and why these two are meant to be together. It isn't, our eyes met and we fell in lust love. Yes, there was blatant silliness at times and the word manhood did come up, but it was one of the smartest romance novels I've ever read.

Now that I've had my spirits lifted by absolute trash, I'm going to try *gulp* Possession again.

Allen
07-27-2011, 02:50 AM
Now that I've had my spirits lifted by absolute trash, I'm going to try *gulp* Possession again.

It's funny, I LOVE Possession. I had to read it in undergrad and kept putting it off because it was so long and I assumed it would be boring, but I ended up devouring it in a day. It always surprises me when others struggle through reading it...but maybe I'm just weird.

rfisher
07-27-2011, 03:01 AM

Oh Matry. Why? You enjoyed your reading. You were happy. Why would you torture yourself and risk with your reading leisure. See, I might just read your book. OTOH, I've marked off the list a book recommended by two English teachers. :yikes: One, I might at least read the cover flap, but two? Not even if Borders marks it down to 50% off. :lol:

Matryeshka
07-27-2011, 03:07 AM
It shames me to admit this rfisher, and I know I shouldn't admit it publicly, but every once in a while I do enjoy a novel from the fic-and-lit section. Please don't judge me too harshly; it doesn't happen very often.

I did come around to at least seeing the value of Super Sad True Love Story and why it got such high reviews even if I didn't personally enjoy it and figure that the author is just as much of a smug, whiny, pretentious little bastard as the main character.

rfisher
07-27-2011, 03:10 AM
It happens to the best of us. ((((Matry))))

Prancer
07-27-2011, 03:27 AM
I've marked off the list a book recommended by two English teachers. :yikes:

Afraid you can't handle it? :EVILLE:;)

FWIW, my friend is so far from being a book snob that I'm :lol: at the thought of her recommendation scaring anyone off. Her PhD is in medieval lit, but she teaches classes in fantasy and science fiction--SF, as she always sternly reminds me, and never, ever sci-fi--and she reviews romance novels on the side. Her favorites on Goodreads are Harry Potter, Watership Down, and Georgette Heyer :lol:. If you tell her that her tenure is on the line or something, she can expound at length about Middle English poetry and Old German, but otherwise, she happily potters around reading as much drivel as I do, if not more, and is just as inclined to give a Harlequin romance five stars as something like Possession.

I wonder if she's read Possession. I will bet almost anything she hasn't :lol:.

smurfy
07-27-2011, 03:28 AM
I loved Possession. It took me awhile to get into it though, and I had a deadline for my bookclub. I am not a poetry fan, but love mysteries. One I figured out the poems were clues, I really got into the book and just loved it. Be patient and give it another try.

rfisher
07-27-2011, 03:47 AM
Afraid you can't handle it? :EVILLE:;)

FWIW, my friend is so far from being a book snob that I'm :lol: at the thought of her recommendation scaring anyone off. Her PhD is in medieval lit, but she teaches classes in fantasy and science fiction--SF, as she always sternly reminds me, and never, ever sci-fi--and she reviews romance novels on the side. Her favorites on Goodreads are Harry Potter, Watership Down, and Georgette Heyer :lol:. If you tell her that her tenure is on the line or something, she can expound at length about Middle English poetry and Old German, but otherwise, she happily potters around reading as much drivel as I do, if not more, and is just as inclined to give a Harlequin romance five stars as something like Possession.

I wonder if she's read Possession. I will bet almost anything she hasn't :lol:.

:lol: Drivel FTW!

PrincessLeppard
07-27-2011, 03:52 AM
manhood did come up

*snicker*

/14 year old moment.

*Adds book to list*

IceAlisa
07-27-2011, 03:58 AM
Well, I've had a lot of emotional support and cheerleading here while reading Possession. Thanks, Wyliefan and PRLady! :) That helped me get over the hump of the interminable dyspneic letters. It was a very well-written book but you have to like a bit of pain with your reading pleasure.

I actually have The Children's Book waiting. Would be nice to read it with an FSU buddy. :shuffle:

rfisher
07-27-2011, 04:01 AM
Sorry, I'll be with PL reading the manhood book. And the next Pendergast. Next Tuesday. I'll laugh if PL waits for the paperback.