PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

rfisher
07-26-2011, 01:25 AM
I finished Fever Dream. :kickass: Loved it!

I'm probably going to start Room next.

You do know the next book after Fever Dream comes out next week! Well, you can read some boring thing this week, but you know you don't want to wait to see what happens next. I'll be hinting at what happens and will drive you nuts wanting to know.

PrincessLeppard
07-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Bint.

TygerLily
07-26-2011, 01:29 AM
Bint.Never fear! Room's a quick read, so you'll be ready for whatever it is she's taunting you about.

BigB08822
07-26-2011, 01:32 AM
Has anyone read Child 44? I picked it up on a whim at B&N as it was on the sale rack for only $6.00 Seems interesting, set in Communist Russia about a man trying to hunt down a serial killer when none are supposed to exist in such a Utopian society. I am weary of buying those books but I am sure some very good books occasionally find their way next to Slvia Browne on the 80% off rack. :shuffle:

Erin
07-26-2011, 01:36 AM
Anyway, next on my list is Never Let Me Go - should be interesting!

I didn't feel quite as strongly about this book as some other people, but I would still give it a recommendation. Thought-provoking, but I didn't quite get the same emotional connection that others have. I'd like to see the movie, though, as I love Carey Mulligan.

I tried Everything Changes by Tropper and...it was OK, but kind of not my thing. But it was a lot better than most chicklit, so chucklit > chicklit. :) I think I'll give Tropper one more try - I want to read This is Where I Leave You based on the comments in this thread but it's not available at at any of the Canadian e-reader stores :mad:

Next up on my list is I Capture the Castle and The Lost Crown based on the recommendations in this thread. I think Confessions of a Prairie Bitch will be up after that, as I thought about reading it ages ago and totally forgotten about it. So now it's on my "to buy" list.

Southpaw
07-26-2011, 01:49 AM
Has anyone read Child 44?

I bought it as a remainder, but I just couldn't get into it so I put it down after a couple of chapters.

Prancer
07-26-2011, 01:57 AM
Has anyone read Child 44? I picked it up on a whim at B&N as it was on the sale rack for only $6.00 Seems interesting, set in Communist Russia about a man trying to hunt down a serial killer when none are supposed to exist in such a Utopian society.

I've read it and the sequel (http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Speech-Tom-Rob-Smith/dp/B0046LUJ2I/ref=pd_sim_b_1) as well. Child 44 is based on the case of Andrei Chikatilo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Chikatilo).

I liked the book a lot; the evolution of Leo Demidov from true believer to enemy of the state was interesting to me, especially his relationship with his wife. I didn't like the sequel nearly as much.

I think Confessions of a Prairie Bitch will be up after that, as I thought about reading it ages ago and totally forgotten about it. So now it's on my "to buy" list.

I got that one from the library and am glad I did. I found it interesting and entertaining for sure, but it's not a book I can see myself reading again.

BigB08822
07-26-2011, 02:13 AM
Thanks Southpaw and Prancer. I will give it a try, at least it was only $6 so I wont be out too much and I can probably find someone to give it to.

rfisher
07-26-2011, 03:16 AM
I finished A Discovery of Witches. I thought it was OK. I like dreck. :D The plan is that there will be a trilogy. I assume the 2nd book will be set in medieval England and the 3rd back in the present to solve the pending war. I'll buy them. Her history is good (since that's what she does), she's just a little heavy handed with the relationship stuff. Perhaps she'll improve with the next two books.

PrincessLeppard
07-26-2011, 03:41 AM
Has anyone read Child 44? I picked it up on a whim at B&N as it was on the sale rack for only $6.00 Seems interesting, set in Communist Russia about a man trying to hunt down a serial killer when none are supposed to exist in such a Utopian society. :

I enjoyed it a great deal. I haven't read the sequel, though.

galaxygirl
07-26-2011, 04:01 AM
Thanks Southpaw and Prancer. I will give it a try, at least it was only $6 so I wont be out too much and I can probably find someone to give it to.

I lurved it. The second I didn't enjoy as much, though it was still worth reading. The third and final book in the series (Agent 6?) is due out early next year.

Erin
07-26-2011, 04:42 AM
I got that one from the library and am glad I did. I found it interesting and entertaining for sure, but it's not a book I can see myself reading again.

Ah...I still have to figure out how to do the library on my e-reader. It took me six months just to take the 10 minutes to figure out how to buy from Chapters, so I'm not holding my breath it will happen anytime soon :lol: I'm sure at some point, I will bite the bullet and then feel ridiculous for how long it took me to do so.

Prancer
07-26-2011, 04:47 AM
Ah...I still have to figure out how to do the library on my e-reader. It took me six months just to take the 10 minutes to figure out how to buy from Chapters, so I'm not holding my breath it will happen anytime soon :lol: I'm sure at some point, I will bite the bullet and then feel ridiculous for how long it took me to do so.

It's actually not all that easy. Well, it is and isn't. I don't know what software your library system uses, but we have Overdrive here and it sucks mightily. It also forces you to use Adobe Digital Editions, which isn't much better. Both require a certain amount of patience and a refusal to give up.

It's not that it's hard so much as it's harder than it needs to be.

modern_muslimah
07-26-2011, 10:31 AM
I started reading "Something Borrowed" and put it down about seventy pages or so in. I can't stand Darcy and I can't stand Rachel for being willing to put up with her for what, twenty some years? Especially when she keeps trotting out past incidents dating all the way back to fifth grade when Darcy-did-this-and-I-was-mad-and-clearly-still-am-all-these-years-later. Either get over it or ditch the sucky friend and move on. I'm sure there's a happily ever after ending, but I'm too :rolleyes: to get there at this point.

I liked Something Borrowed but yes, there were times when I wondered why Rachel was hanging onto such a toxic friendship. As for the ending, it was bittersweet.

Artemis@BC
07-26-2011, 07:11 PM
I didn't feel quite as strongly about (Never Let Me Go) as some other people, but I would still give it a recommendation. Thought-provoking, but I didn't quite get the same emotional connection that others have. I'd like to see the movie, though, as I love Carey Mulligan.

I really enjoyed the movie too. I always try to remain open-minded when they make a movie of a beloved book, not try to compare it too much ... but in this case it actually stands up to comparison. Thanks largely to Carey Mulligan & Andrew Garfield, but even more so they managed to capture the tone & mood of the book exceptionally well, which I figured would be impossible.