PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

rfisher
07-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Gee, I haven't heard anyone mention Sergeanne Golon in decades! I think I still have the entire "Angelique" series tucked away somewhere from my college days. IIRC, the first few were decent pot-boilers but the last couple (after she went to Arcadia) went downhill. Ah, nostaliga! I wonder how I'd like them now, though.

I started the Irish audio book yesterday. So far it's mostly about the decline of the Roman Empire, but I'm up to about 400 AD and I can see where the connection to the Irish monestaries is going to come in. It's decent, for non-fiction.

Oh my! I read the series many years ago, as a teenager.
They were considered "racy" for the day, here in the US.
I also wonder whether I'd like them now.

I read them too. With my mother. I think I was 12. I was just thinking about them the other day when I read a book that talked about Languedoc which is where her first husband was from.

genevieve
07-21-2011, 09:08 PM
The thing about books with twists is that the twists are the main point of the stories. If you think you've figured out the twist, why drag it out?
Because I'm a sucker and I always hope I'm wrong and I've fallen for a super duper twist? :P

I love the uncertainty. Even that last mystery I read gave me some hope in the way it was written that the twist would end up not being so damned obvious as it seemed. Ended up it was that damned obvious, but a good 80% of the story was enjoyable enough because I wasn't 100% sure. If I'd known from the beginning, I wouldn't have bothered reading it (ok, in hindsight perhaps that would have been a better option, but....)

taf2002
07-21-2011, 10:31 PM
I just finished reading The Help. I started last night & read far into the night & I've pretty much blown the whole day today. It's a story worth telling but it was pretty depressing while I was reading it. Luckily it ended on a high note. Now I have to decide if I want to see the movie. They have probably ruined it.

IceAlisa
07-22-2011, 01:36 AM
Guess what, ladies and gents? WB is making the FSU-acclaimed This Is Where I Leave You into a movie. http://www.jonathantropper.com/tropper-bio.htm

I wonder what they are going to do about all the sex scenes...And who will be cast.

Matryeshka
07-22-2011, 05:50 AM
I am currently reading Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart.

It's a truly amazing book. It's truly amazing because it compresses everything I hate about modern American literature, dystopian literature, and views of women in literature in a mere 352 smug, pretentious pages.

Well done, Mr. Shteyngart, well done. Seriously, this has become my literary Nickleback--if you say you liked it, nay loved it, thought it was the bestest book evah, I will be secretly judging you...and finding you lacking.

IceAlisa
07-22-2011, 06:08 AM
The place we were renting for vacation had some books on the coffee table and among them was America's Queen:The Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis (http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Queen-Jacqueline-Kennedy-Onassis/dp/0141002204/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1311311162&sr=1-1). I leafed through it and discovered that the Kennedys were even sleazier than I thought. I was intrigued and was able to snag a used copy on amazon for $3.75 including shipping. It is now in queue to be read once I get off my current Asian kick.

rfisher
07-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Guess what, ladies and gents? WB is making the FSU-acclaimed This Is Where I Leave You into a movie. http://www.jonathantropper.com/tropper-bio.htm

I wonder what they are going to do about all the sex scenes...And who will be cast.

Make it R rated?

Prancer
07-22-2011, 01:29 PM
I am currently reading Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart.

It's a truly amazing book. It's truly amazing because it compresses everything I hate about modern American literature, dystopian literature, and views of women in literature in a mere 352 smug, pretentious pages.

Well done, Mr. Shteyngart, well done. Seriously, this has become my literary Nickleback--if you say you liked it, nay loved it, thought it was the bestest book evah, I will be secretly judging you...and finding you lacking.

:lol::lol::lol:

I read The Russian Debutante's Handbook a couple of years ago. Um, I will say that it did provide me with some insight into a poster or two here. But otherwise, let us just say it was not one of my favorites.

Artemis@BC
07-22-2011, 04:50 PM

I'm currently reading the book, and the edition I have says "Tropper is currently working on adapting the book into a film" on the jacket. So as soon as I read that ... I started imagining various actors in the various roles. :D No great ideas yet, except maybe Goldie Hawn as Hill. And maybe Paul Rudd as Judd.

I checked imdb, though, and they don't even have preliminary cast listed. I'm guessing it will be a couple of years before this hits the screen -- just as well, I like to have a gap between book and movie.

rfisher
07-22-2011, 05:41 PM
I just want to see Wade on fire.

IceAlisa
07-22-2011, 05:55 PM
And maybe Paul Rudd as Judd.

Excellent idea.

No great ideas yet, except maybe Goldie Hawn as Hill. That's not a bad one either. Prancer, would you like to help us with the fantasy casting?

I can see Vince Vaughn as Wade.
I just want to see Wade on fire. Then may be Vaughn is too likable?

I read The Russian Debutante's Handbook a couple of years ago. Um, I will say that it did provide me with some insight into a poster or two here. But otherwise, let us just say it was not one of my favorites. You know, I felt obligated to at least try to read this book and just couldn't even get past the first few pages to buy it. Is it really that insightful about the Rude Russians?

Prancer
07-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Prancer, would you like to help us with the fantasy casting?

I never want to see books I like turned into movies, so I never do well at this game.

Some famous director--I forget who it is--has optioned all or several of Tropper's books, so there may be more films. Or not, given how things go.

You know, I felt obligated to at least try to read this book and just couldn't even get past the first few pages to buy it. Is it really that insightful about the Rude Russians?

Oh, I wouldn't say so. But the main character had a lot in common with at least one Rude Russian here, and the comments made other Rude Russians in the reader reviews just made me :lol:, something the book really didn't do.

IceAlisa
07-22-2011, 07:37 PM
Oh, I wouldn't say so. But the main character had a lot in common with at least one Rude Russian here, and the comments made other Rude Russians in the reader reviews just made me :lol:, something the book really didn't do.

Now I am intrigued. :lol: Are these comments available online anywhere?

BTW, your new siggy is great. Where did you get it?

Artemis@BC
07-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Some famous director--I forget who it is--has optioned all or several of Tropper's books, so there may be more films. Or not, given how things go.

Yeah, it seems that these days every novel that comes off the presses gets optioned ... but only a small fraction of those actually make it onto the screen.

Spinner
07-23-2011, 03:33 AM
Sebastian Barry is coming to our store for a reading and signing of his new book On Canaan's Side (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10266875-on-canaan-s-side) in September, so I picked up his last book The Secret Scripture (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/secret-scripture-sebastian-barry/1100257910?ean=9780143115694&itm=1&usri=secret%2bscripture). Have any of you read him? He's as well known for his plays as his novels and has been shortlisted for the Booker Prize twice. I'm about 70 pages through so far and in love with his writing. It's so beautiful. :swoon: If you want something more literary over summer fluff/trash, he's the guy.