PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Spinner
07-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Read this one, and I hate to be the only one who didn't love it, but I didn't. :shuffle: I didn't hate it - I liked it well enough.
Oh :P what do you know :lol:

rfisher
07-20-2011, 11:25 PM
Oh :P what do you know :lol:

I figured out the twist about a third of the way in. Actually, it was the only logical twist so it wasn't really a twist. After I checked to confirm if I was right, I just skimmed the rest. :shuffle: But, it was OK. :)

Buzz
07-20-2011, 11:49 PM
James Rollins - The Last Oracle

Spinner
07-20-2011, 11:55 PM
I figured out the twist about a third of the way in. Actually, it was the only logical twist so it wasn't really a twist. After I checked to confirm if I was right, I just skimmed the rest. :shuffle: But, it was OK. :)

Yeah yeah yeah, way to ruin it for yourself! :lynch: ;)

rfisher
07-21-2011, 01:13 AM

It's a bad habit. I've tired rehab but it didn't work. :shuffle: I'm the Lindsey Lohan of book spoiling.

Prancer
07-21-2011, 01:18 AM

The thing about books with twists is that the twists are the main point of the stories. If you think you've figured out the twist, why drag it out?

When I read murder mysteries, I always look at the end as soon as I think I know whodunnit. It's been a long, long time since I've read a mystery where I didn't have the killer in the first five chapters. If I really like the author's writing style or the characters, then I will keep reading even if I know. But if I'm not engaged in some other way, why devote the time to figuring out a puzzle I've already figured out?

oleada
07-21-2011, 03:06 AM
There is a bag at Barnes and Noble with the thread title saying on it btw

gkelly
07-21-2011, 03:55 AM
It's been a long, long time since I've read a mystery where I didn't have the killer in the first five chapters. If I really like the author's writing style or the characters, then I will keep reading even if I know. But if I'm not engaged in some other way, why devote the time to figuring out a puzzle I've already figured out?

So if you didn't figure out the mystery right away and you also didn't like the author's writing style or the characters, would you keep reading just for the puzzle?

Prancer
07-21-2011, 04:14 AM
So if you didn't figure out the mystery right away and you also didn't like the author's writing style or the characters, would you keep reading just for the puzzle?

If I got the killer wrong? Sure, unless the style or characters were out and out irritating and not merely meh. I want to know what I missed and how I was misled.

Nomad
07-21-2011, 05:18 AM
After a week's hiatus with some pretty trashy novels (Juliette Benzoni and Sergeanne Golon) I'm back to Dorothy Richardson and her stream of consciousness epic. Sidebar: prior to writing Pilgrimage, Dorothy had a fling with notorious womanizer H. G. Wells. She thought he was a complete dud in the sack and wrote about it in one of the Pilgrimage novels, but Wells was too vain to recognize himself and gave the book a positive review.

IceAlisa
07-21-2011, 05:20 AM
I started Shanghai Girls by Lisa See. Nice and fluffy so far. I wish the whole book took place in Shanghai but apparently, as a kindly FSUer pointed out, they will be moving to California soon. Le sigh.

I am also still reading Oracle Bones which is a fascinating account of modern day China done in little vignettes. It will be a while, if ever, before I pick up another Murdoch. :lynch:

Southpaw
07-21-2011, 03:11 PM
I think B&N gave me some free books because one day I opened my gadget and there they were in my library. Do they do this? Do they just dump free stuff into your library that they think you may want to read? Or am I special? :saint:

I've started in on Dracula. It's one of those classics that is so classic I just never bothered to read it. I'm really enjoying it, though!

zaphyre14
07-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Gee, I haven't heard anyone mention Sergeanne Golon in decades! I think I still have the entire "Angelique" series tucked away somewhere from my college days. IIRC, the first few were decent pot-boilers but the last couple (after she went to Arcadia) went downhill. Ah, nostaliga! I wonder how I'd like them now, though.

I started the Irish audio book yesterday. So far it's mostly about the decline of the Roman Empire, but I'm up to about 400 AD and I can see where the connection to the Irish monestaries is going to come in. It's decent, for non-fiction.

Prancer
07-21-2011, 05:31 PM
I think B&N gave me some free books because one day I opened my gadget and there they were in my library. Do they do this? Do they just dump free stuff into your library that they think you may want to read? Or am I special? :saint:

You're special.

skatesindreams
07-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Gee, I haven't heard anyone mention Sergeanne Golon in decades! I think I still have the entire "Angelique" series tucked away somewhere from my college days. IIRC, the first few were decent pot-boilers but the last couple (after she went to Arcadia) went downhill. Ah, nostaliga! I wonder how I'd like them now, though.

Oh my! I read the series many years ago, as a teenager.
They were considered "racy" for the day, here in the US.
I also wonder whether I'd like them now.