PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Prancer
07-19-2011, 01:32 PM
I hate to describe a book that is, in part, about incestuous rape as entertaining, but I'm reading Alison Arngrim's bio (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/confessions-of-a-prairie-bitch-alison-arngrim/1100096243?ean=9780061962158&itm=3&usri=alison%2barngrim) and it is, indeed, entertaining, if rather hair-raising at times.

Grannyfan
07-19-2011, 02:30 PM
I haven't read through all the posts - it's just too long - so pardon me for asking if this has been covered. But has anyone read The Help?

I read it and enjoyed it very much. I saw an ad for the movie version on TV last night, and if I hadn't read the book, I swear that from what I saw I'd think it was a comedy.

PrincessLeppard
07-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Vincent? No. Just wounded in the prior book.

I thought he got turned into a zombie??? What am I not remembering from that book?

PDilemma
07-19-2011, 04:36 PM
I read it and enjoyed it very much. I saw an ad for the movie version on TV last night, and if I hadn't read the book, I swear that from what I saw I'd think it was a comedy.

I haven't read the book yet, but I was confused by the trailer when I saw it last night for the same reason. I had not been under the impression that the book was at all comic and the trailer does seem to be for a comedy.

I wonder if they tried to make the movie comic somehow, or if they are being intentionally misleading or what is going on there.

Grannyfan
07-19-2011, 07:22 PM
I haven't read the book yet, but I was confused by the trailer when I saw it last night for the same reason. I had not been under the impression that the book was at all comic and the trailer does seem to be for a comedy.

I wonder if they tried to make the movie comic somehow, or if they are being intentionally misleading or what is going on there.

I wondered the same thing. There is humor in the book, but it's certainly not a
funny story. It made me want to cry more than laugh. If they have tried to make a comedy of it, I would say they can expect a lot of criticism.

rfisher
07-19-2011, 10:24 PM
I thought he got turned into a zombie??? What am I not remembering from that book?

D'Agosto survived. Bill Smithback was killed and Nora sprinkled his ashes back in New Mexico. They sort of wrapped that up from all the previous novels. I'd forgot about the zombis. :lol: I had to go look at the book. And this is why having that hardcopy is helpful.

PrincessLeppard
07-19-2011, 10:36 PM
:duh: That's right. Smithback. I knew they'd killed off a character I liked.

genevieve
07-19-2011, 11:21 PM
I had to give up my copy of Going Bovine to my friend (I totally loved it!! Way better than Bray's next book, Beauty Queens) while I was visiting her, sigh. Now I'm reading John Henry Days by Colson Whitehead but I'm having a hard time getting into it.

dramagrrl
07-20-2011, 12:45 AM
I had to give up my copy of Going Bovine to my friend (I totally loved it!! Way better than Bray's next book, Beauty Queens)
I liked Going Bovine, but I do think Libba Bray is going to turn out to be one of many YA authors whose first major work (and I'm counting all three Gemma Doyle trilogy books as her first major work) will always be her best.

BigB08822
07-20-2011, 01:44 AM
I got 2 books the last 2 days! I borrowed the 2nd to last book (so far) in the Sookie Stackhouse series and today I bought The Hunger Games! I heard it is good and since it is a series I will have more to look forward to if I like it.

genevieve
07-20-2011, 02:03 AM
I liked Going Bovine, but I do think Libba Bray is going to turn out to be one of many YA authors whose first major work (and I'm counting all three Gemma Doyle trilogy books as her first major work) will always be her best.
I adore the Gemma Doyle trilogy...but I think Going Bovine was great in a completely different way. Beauty Queens, however, made me think anything Bray did would suffer in comparison to the GD trilogy (I read Beauty Queens before Going Bovine, even though the latter was written first).

Prancer
07-20-2011, 04:00 AM
I adore the Gemma Doyle trilogy...but I think Going Bovine was great in a completely different way. Beauty Queens, however, made me think anything Bray did would suffer in comparison to the GD trilogy (I read Beauty Queens before Going Bovine, even though the latter was written first).

I follow Libba Bray on Twitter just because she's funny. So is Maureen Johnson, another YA writer, and one of Libba's buddies, although Maureen will absolutely flood your Twitter feed.

Since I have gloated at my Kindle using friends for not being able to access Cheap E-Reads, I am going to do penance and share Cheap e-Reads' new venture: Kindle on the Cheap (http://astore.amazon.com/httpcheapereb-20)

Also, if anyone is willing to risk it, Smashwords (https://www.smashwords.com/) (a site for self-published authors) is having a 100% off sale on many titles (https://www.smashwords.com/books/category/1/newest/1/promo_SSWSF/any) through the end of the month. I've gotten some Smashword books before; some of them are actually pretty good, but I'd recommend reading the reviews before you download anything.

IceAlisa
07-20-2011, 07:08 AM
Well, look who is having a new book out in 2012: http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Harbour-Tana-French/dp/1444705105/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1311142054&sr=1-9

This time I am definitely going to the library.

John 3 17
07-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Barnes & Noble was running their "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" deal on their B&N Classics, so I happily picked up The Scarlet Pimpernel, Hard Times, and Tale of Two Cities (I already own TTC, but I wanted the B&N version because I love that they're annotated and I like the print/paper very much) all for $12. The back of TSP says it's a fast-read and it is! I love it so far. I've been wanting it since I saw the Leslie Howard/Merle Oberon classic a couple of years ago but I couldn't find it at my bookstore. Very happy :D

-Bridget

modern_muslimah
07-20-2011, 01:54 PM
I finished One Day about a week ago. I loved it but I have to admit that I definitely saw the Thomas Hardy influence in the book. So I am looking for a book that is just a bit more happy and cheerful. I haven't had much success finding anything on my own. Anyone have any suggestions?