PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

mkats
07-15-2011, 12:31 AM
I'm stuck at my parents' place for a few days and there are no decent books here to take on my commute, so I turned to my sister's bookshelf and pulled out some of her old, old, old books. Spent the day on the metro today reading My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George. Man, I forgot how much I loved that book... and how much I wanted to run away to the woods, too. :lol:

Next on the list: Little House in the Big Woods.

Artemis@BC
07-15-2011, 12:41 AM
I'm stuck at my parents' place for a few days and there are no decent books here to take on my commute, so I turned to my sister's bookshelf and pulled out some of her old, old, old books. Spent the day on the metro today reading My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George. Man, I forgot how much I loved that book... and how much I wanted to run away to the woods, too.

Woah, flashback! I remember reading, and loving, that book as a child too.

Wyliefan
07-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Wyliefan, since you're reading YA have you read any of Ally Carter's books?

Not personally, but I had one of my reviewers cover one of her books (she gave it a thumbs-up). It's so great to have a team of reviewers -- we can cover so much more than if I were frantically trying to read all these books myself! :)

IceAlisa
07-15-2011, 10:26 PM
I am almost done with A Severed Head by Iris Murdoch. And I have to say, I haven't encountered a plot more ridiculous in a while. This would make a great soap opera.

I am going to give a summary which is a huge spoiler, so avoid if you are planning on reading this. Otherwise...

A Wine Merchant has a Wife and a Mistress. All is well.

Wife leaves him for his and hers psychoanalyst. Wine Merchant is upset but behaves in the most witless way imaginable. The Wife and the Shrink patronize the bejezus out of him. He takes it.

The Shrink has a Sinister Sister who introduces the Mistress to the Wife and otherwise meddles and hovers upsetting the newly created apple cart.

Mistress and Wine Merchant's Baby Brother who always got the Wine Merchant's girls, seem to be hooking up. It should be mentioned that Wine Merchant treats the Mistress like shit.

Sinister Sister plays with a Samurai sword and cuts up some table napkins. Sinister.

Wine Merchant drops off a crate of wine for the Wife and the Shrink. Why? Just because. He likes being humiliated and patronized? Sinister Sister hovers.

Sinister Sister is nasty to the now drunk and unhinged Wine Merchant. He beats her up, then writes her a letter of apology. He actually writes three but sends one. He contemplates writing a fourth letter but doesn't.

Wine Merchant complains of unspecified malaise and walks around London. Wine Merchant suddenly realizes that his malaise is in fact his mad love for the Sinister Sister.

He goes to see the Sinister Sister. She is in bed with her brother the Shrink (the one who hooked up with the Wine Merchant's Wife). The Shrink begs the Wine Merchant not to tell the Wife. Sinister Sister does not hover or rather she hovers in another room.

The Wine Merchant does not tell the Wife. However, the Wife and the Shrink are on the rocks and break up anyway cuz they've got problems (ya think?). The Wine Merchant gets the Wife back.

Oh and the Mistress and the Baby Brother announce their intention to marry.

Wine Merchant obsesses with the Sinister Sister. The newly returned Wife sulks.

Wine Merchant receives a creepy package full of the hair of the Mistress. He goes to see the Mistress and she's taken an overdose of sleeping pills. Sinister Sister hovers.

The Wife delights in this and buys three new hats. The Mistress makes it but just barely. She, the Mistress needs a psych eval and of course, who is going to do it but the Shrink. Sinister Sister hovers.

Wine Merchant declares his love for the Sinister Sister. She plays hard to get but seems game after all.

They all gather round the Mistress' hospital bed. L'awkward. The Wife presents the Mistress with a stuffed toy dog.

Then Wife reveals to the Wine Merchant that she's been having an affair with Baby Brother all along cuz, ya know, he always gets the girls.

And Baby Brother never meant to marry the poor Mistress which is why she OD'ed.

Wine Merchant announces that his Wife is going to marry his Baby Brother.

Then it seems the Mistress has taken up with the Shrink. Sinister Sister hovers.

And the Wine Merchant happily, or rather unhappily takes up with the Sinister Sister.

The End

Huh? WTF? Was Murdoch joking???

TygerLily
07-16-2011, 02:24 AM
Just a huge huge thank you to whoever recommended Tana French. I loved In the Woods (devoured it in a night -- a long, long night) and now I'm slowly meandering through The Likeness (I don't want it to end too soon). Is her third book any good?

In the Woods spoilery comment I'm so happy all the threads weren't tied up in the end. I was dying to know what happened to Ryan's friends, but finding that out would have been too tidy an ending.

Prancer
07-16-2011, 03:17 AM
Huh? WTF? Was Murdoch joking???

:lol::lol::lol: I have been dying for you to finish this book so you could render a verdict. I read that book and went off Murdoch for life; I was :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: throughout and could barely finish it.

Allen
07-16-2011, 03:38 AM
:lol::lol::lol: I have been dying for you to finish this book so you could render a verdict. I read that book and went off Murdoch for life; I was :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: throughout and could barely finish it.

I took a class on Iris Murdoch, but I was sick the week that was read, so I missed it. I'm going to have to go back and read it now.

Has anyone read Cleopatra: A Life? Is it worth me downloading?

Fergus
07-16-2011, 03:43 AM

The one by Stacy Schiff? Yeah, its VERY good (and I'm usually :yawn: when it comes to ancient history). :)

Allen
07-16-2011, 03:49 AM
The one by Stacy Schiff? Yeah, its VERY good (and I'm usually :yawn: when it comes to ancient history). :)

Cool, thanks. I was pretty much set to buy it and then saw a ton of reader reviews on Amazon calling it dull.

ChelleC
07-16-2011, 04:10 AM

Definitely worth it.

IceAlisa
07-16-2011, 04:14 AM
Just a huge huge thank you to whoever recommended Tana French. I loved In the Woods (devoured it in a night -- a long, long night) and now I'm slowly meandering through The Likeness (I don't want it to end too soon). Is her third book any good?

In the Woods spoilery comment I'm so happy all the threads weren't tied up in the end. I was dying to know what happened to Ryan's friends, but finding that out would have been too tidy an ending.

I liked the first two but sold my copy of the third after only a few pages. I felt like she dropped the ball.

May be she was strapped for cash? Or high? Or temporarily insane?

BigB08822
07-16-2011, 05:58 AM
Wow, those 50 classic books for $2.99 is an amazing deal. If I had a Nook I would get it just to have them.

Maybe it is good I don't have a Nook, I see they have 50 classic mysteries, autobiographies, etc etc The list goes on and on. For $20 you could own a lot of amazing books! I don't know where I would stop and I know I would never read any of them, haha I have a problem collecting things, lol

TygerLily
07-16-2011, 05:36 PM
I liked the first two but sold my copy of the third after only a few pages. I felt like she dropped the ball.Thanks! I was thinking of buying the third for an upcoming flight, but now I'll just take it out from the library. If I don't like it, no harm!

IceAlisa
07-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks! I was thinking of buying the third for an upcoming flight, but now I'll just take it out from the library. If I don't like it, no harm!

Great idea. I agree with you about In The Woods ending, I found it interesting and frustrating at the same time. It's realistic--so many crimes go unresolved.

PrincessLeppard
07-16-2011, 08:01 PM
rfisher, I really like Fever Dream so far, but I am puzzled as the appearance of D'Agosto. I thought he was dead???