PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Nan
07-12-2011, 07:19 PM
...today I have with me A Severed Head ... :eek:

Is it messy? ;)

IceAlisa
07-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Is it messy? ;)

:lol: :lol: Very.

rfisher
07-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Wrong thread

mkats
07-13-2011, 12:44 AM
Formula for a Jodi Picoult Book

1. Create central family, consisting of:
a - child with autism/cancer/OI/other issues
b - mother who has devoted her life totally to child A and basically unable to deal with anything else
c - father who has been shut out by mother and either gets fed up or shrinks away from guilt and begins to disappear from the picture (or is already gone)
d - sibling of child A who feels simultaneously guilty and angry and jealous about child A; resorts to dangerous methods of coping (i.e. anorexia, voyeurism, arson)

B. Family gets in trouble with the law.

C. Introduce new characters:
a - Lawyer who has issues of his own and a side story that is less interesting than The Family
b - other people in Lawyer's life who are less interesting than The Family
c - detectives, judges, people who are less interesting than The Family

D. Courtroom Drama followed by OMG Twist You Did Not See Coming and a sudden end.

(That said, I kind of enjoyed House Rules. :shuffle: Did not like Handle with Care at all - an utter rip-off (and badly done, too!) of My Sister's Keeper.)

...on a separate note, is anyone a fan of the Jean Plaidy novels on royal history?

pair mom
07-13-2011, 01:10 AM
^^^^^^

Hahahaha! Excellent synopsis..! I've only been conned once with My Sister's Keeper...that was enough for me! Thanks so much for the great laugh! :rofl:

Wyliefan
07-13-2011, 01:14 AM
Whoops, I need to keep up with this thread better!

Are you only reading YA series fiction or are you going to review some standalones, too?

Yes, standalones too.

If I Stay by Gayle Forman
Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
The Disrepuatble History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Patterson
When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini
A Note of Madness by Tabitha Suzuma
What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell
Anything by John Green
Anything by Sarah Dessen

I'd love to check out your web page, if you post the link. :)

Wileyfan, Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver and Anna and The French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins are both very good.

Thanks very much for the suggestions! I currently have members of my team reviewing Before I Fall and Sarah Dessen's latest. And I remember reading and liking I Capture the Castle some time ago. Will look into the others.

rjblue
07-13-2011, 01:40 AM
Give me lusty sex, or if no sex, a thriller, if no thriller, a deftly plotted mystery, or if none of the above, make it funny.
:rofl: The book I am least likely to read has lusty sex, or a deftly plotted mystery.

Give me a densely charactered history, an angst-filled modern "literary" book, or a science fiction epic.

I've been trying to read Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon (The first book of The Malazan Book of the Fallen) but after 250 pages, I still have no idea who the main characters are, or what the book is about. After enjoying The Wheel of Time so much, I thought I'd try one of the other big fantasy series. I guess I should have chosen The Game of Thrones.

Spinner
07-13-2011, 02:17 AM
I had to order it. The stupid store didn't have it in stock. It should be here this week.

Good. Now I demand that you come back to tell us what you think once you're done. ;)

zaphyre14
07-13-2011, 01:05 PM
I had a bunch of old James Patterson's Alex Cross mysteries going in the car - the current one is "The Big Bad Wolf." I'm not "reading" them in order, though, just whatever's in at the library so the kids' ages and the names of the girlfriends confuse me a bit but othetrwise the stories are perfect driving fare.

After digging through the box of TBRs, I pulled out "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield. It reads "old" and has a pretty twisty semi-Gothic plot but without the traditional romance: A bookish young woman is summoned to an old house on the moors to record the memoirs of a wildly popular but reclusive author who is dying and wants to finally "tell the truth" about her life. I wasn't crazy about the main character - she seemed a little cardboard to me, even with all her angsty soul-searching but on the whole it wasn't bad. Kept me turning the pages anyway.

Prancer
07-14-2011, 01:07 AM
Oh, e-reader peeps:

World e-Book Fair--6.5 million texts to download free between now and August 4 (http://worldebookfair.org/index.htm).

Now whether you actually WANT any of those texts.......:shuffle:

Spinner
07-14-2011, 06:39 AM
Another upcoming book getting really good buzz is Eowyn Ivey's debut novel The Snow Child (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11250053-the-snow-child). Sucky part--it comes out in February. I'm whoring...er...trying desperately to get an advanced copy!

ChelleC
07-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Wyliefan, since you're reading YA have you read any of Ally Carter's books?

She has two series, one involving an all girls spy school and the other involving a teenage girl who is going into the family business which is art theft. I really enjoy her books.

zaphyre14
07-14-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm now reading "Justice of the Damned" by Patricia Royal. It's another in her medieval mystery series featuring Prioress Eleanor and Thomas the reluctant monk. I've skipped a volume so some of the references to past events are little perplexing but I figure the gaps will either fill in or they aren't important to this story. Royal certainly captures the religious fervor of the times and setting.

PrincessLeppard
07-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Another upcoming book getting really good buzz is Eowyn Ivey's debut novel The Snow Child (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11250053-the-snow-child). Sucky part--it comes out in February. I'm whoring...er...trying desperately to get an advanced copy!

Okay, that actually sounds kind of interesting. Any chance the child turns out to be a zombie? :watch:

;)

Spinner
07-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Okay, that actually sounds kind of interesting. Any chance the child turns out to be a zombie? :watch:

;)I have no idea, but one can only hope.

Speaking of, someone needs to make a zombie emoticon. One with that drags its mangled leg behind it while it stalks.