PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Nomad
06-10-2011, 02:39 AM
I'm trying to get through Mary Barton. I've been sledging through it for months. I stop and then I start reading it again...

I think the novels which followed Mary Barton were better.

I've been on a real "crime spree" this week, buying noir novels by Chandler, Hammett, Goodis, Thompson, and Highsmith. I might go for the Jim Thompson next - the blurb on the back cover decribes him as "Willa Cather steeped in rot-gut and armed with a .45." :lol:

Prancer
06-10-2011, 03:04 AM
I was thinking I need something a bit light. Has anyone read Phillipa Ashley? Her novel, Mr. December, was a free e-book and I have it. Is it worth a read or should I pick something else?

I downloaded it but it's so far down my reading list that I might never get to it unless someone posts a rave. The customer 'net reviews are pretty good.

Do you have a Nook? If so, you NEED this thread: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Book-Discussion/Free-NOOKbook-summary-thread-please-no-OT/td-p/713884

There are new posts every day and some of the books listed are free for a very limited time (the best ones are usually free for only a day or two), so be sure to look frequently.

And you should check out Kristy Haining's B&N page: http://my.barnesandnoble.com/Best-Nookbook-Bargains-KirstyHaining/el/16550169/

Apologies if you already have the links. :)

Japanfan
06-10-2011, 07:47 AM
And you couldn't have read pottery making descriptions as they didn't make pottery at that time. :lol: Most of the *Venus* (described in the 3rd book) were carved from ivory. There are endless discussions on fllint knapping.

I remember the flint knapping. But there was also a lot of detail about the making of eating utensils or pots I think. Perhaps baskets too?

At any rate, it really wasn't very interesting.

Buzz
06-10-2011, 02:26 PM
We should have numbered the reading threads. It would be nice to know what edition of it this is. LOL Probably something like #50! We do seem to read a lot around here. Me not as much as I used to but I am still seduced by the promise of a good story every now and then. :D

modern_muslimah
06-10-2011, 03:45 PM
I think the novels which followed Mary Barton were better.

The only other Gaskell novel I've read so far is North and South and I definitely prefer it thus far to Mary Barton. Although I have to say that the love triangle between Mary, Jem and Carson is starting to heat things up just a bit.

I downloaded it but it's so far down my reading list that I might never get to it unless someone posts a rave. The customer 'net reviews are pretty good.

Do you have a Nook? If so, you NEED this thread: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Book-Discussion/Free-NOOKbook-summary-thread-please-no-OT/td-p/713884

There are new posts every day and some of the books listed are free for a very limited time (the best ones are usually free for only a day or two), so be sure to look frequently.

And you should check out Kristy Haining's B&N page: http://my.barnesandnoble.com/Best-Nookbook-Bargains-KirstyHaining/el/16550169/

Apologies if you already have the links. :)

Thanks for the links! :) I just went to the first one. I'm always on the lookout for freebies. I hoard them on my nook so I never run out of something to read. :shuffle:

Spinner
06-10-2011, 06:00 PM
I picked up an ARC of Alice LaPlante's Turn of Mind (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/turn-of-mind-alice-laplante/1024179026?ean=9780802119773&itm=1&usri=turn%2bof%2bmind) at work yesterday. Looks quite interesting, about an aging doctor with dimentia whose best friend is murdered and she can't remember if she's involved. Written in a stream of conciousness narrative style that invokes the torment of the mental breakdown of the main character, it's getting LOTS of good buzz in book circles online. So far about 50 pages in and it's really good!

Allskate
06-10-2011, 07:31 PM
I did that once, for my sister in high school. I read the book, told her about it, she wrote the paper and got an "A". Three years later, I rewrote some of her paper on the same book, submitted it, and got a "B". Miserable teacher. :slinkaway

I had something like that happen to me. My brother was a year behind me in school. He was smart, but didn't like to read. So, a year after I turned in a history book report, he copied it and turned it in to the same teacher. The teacher not only failed to notice the plagiarism, but gave him a higher grade than I received. I didn't find out about it until I was about to go off to college and was rummaging through his room to find all my things he'd taken, and there were the papers. :lol: He ended up having to take a remedial English course when he got to college. :(

skatingfan5
06-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Louisiana History. I have 4 books, not 5. In my :drama: I miscounted. :lol: ...The last is a thick book titled The Day Huey Long Was Shot. I find him interesting and it will be more modern so it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't A) quite long and B) focused on one day??? I hope the title is misleading.I think that it does cover a bit more than just one day -- sounds like it would be a good read (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1044938.The_Day_Huey_Long_Was_Shot). Too bad you are "NOT a reader" or you could also read Robert Penn Warren's All the King's Men and compare the novel to the real life events. Or you could just watch the movie (1949 version with Broderick Crawford).

mysticchic
06-10-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm reading the Shawnia Twain book and so far it's very depressing. The thing that is making me mad is she keeps making excuses for her parent behavior.

Artemis@BC
06-10-2011, 09:35 PM
And you couldn't have read pottery making descriptions as they didn't make pottery at that time. :lol:

Actually, there was one community that had "discovered" pottery (clay firing) in The Plains of Passage. It was that group led by the psychopath that captured Jondalar -- their spiritual leader had discovered it by accident when some wet clay fell into a fire or something. Then she perfected the technique.

Might have been the only significant discovery at the time that was not made by Ayla. :rolleyes:

The big reveal in this book apart from the cave paintings is everyone begins to believe Ayla's wild theory that children come from having Pleasures with a man and not from random spirits. Men can be male mothers or as the term comes to be: fathers.

Spoiler alert! :D

BigB08822
06-11-2011, 06:12 AM
I started reading the first book and it is the one on the convent. I don't have it in front of me but it is about the Ursuline Convent. I actually like it. It is a collection of letters written by one of the women in the group. I always preferred actual accounts over a boring history textbook anyday.

Nomad
06-11-2011, 06:13 PM
The only other Gaskell novel I've read so far is North and South and I definitely prefer it thus far to Mary Barton. Although I have to say that the love triangle between Mary, Jem and Carson is starting to heat things up just a bit...

I really liked Ruth and Sylvia's Lovers. Haven't got around to Wives and Daughters yet, though.

While I wouldn't rank Jim Thompson with Willa Cather, Heed the Thunder
was pretty good in a gritty, sordid kind of way. I think I need another comic novel as a palate cleanser, though.

PDilemma
06-11-2011, 06:16 PM
I have plenty of books for this darned history summer class if anyone wants to borrow. Maybe you could read it and tell me what they are all about so I don't have to, haha. I have 6 weeks to read 5 books. I am NOT a reader. :wuzrobbed

Two history courses. Eight weeks, eight books. Five book reviews. One research paper. Three essay exams.

It's roughly 400 pages of reading a week. But I am a history major so it is actually a relief to me to be reading history which I generally enjoy.

mkats
06-12-2011, 12:10 AM
If you are planning on reading Land of Painted Caves, I suggest you skip Parts I and II. Literally (no pun intended), NOTHING happens.

Part III can be summed up as follows:

Ayla is busy. Very. Jondalar sleeps with Marona in his and Ayla's "special pool" and gets caught by Ayla. We then never hear from/about Marona again. Ayla takes out her revenge by sleeping with Laramar, aka Mr. deadbeat-father who just makes barma all day. Jondalar reacts by punching in Laramar's face.

Ayla gets "called" to the Zelandoni by learning that men also help produce babies and adds another verse to the already interminably long Mother's Song. She also finds in her cave some stuff that proves that Madroman (guy Jondalar punched ages ago) faked his "calling". Madroman gets mad and leaves. We never hear from him again.

Brukeval, the quarter (or half?) Clan guy whose role is mostly to run around yelling that he's not a flathead, is very displeased by Ayla's revelation. He also runs away and we never hear from him again.

Ayla gives up on life because Jondalar is mad at her and Laramar's face is ruined and it's ALL HER FAULT, so she brings out the ancient Clan Root and drinks a great big bowl of it with the rest of the Zelandoni and almost dies. Only Jondalar's overwhelming love brings her back in an incredibly cheesy Sleeping-Beauty sort of incident. (I think they actually say that legends about Jondalar and his one true love, Ayla, were told for years afterwards or something :lol:)

As a punishment for beating up Laramar, Jondalar agrees to care for Tremeda (his wife) and their many children.

THE END!

Buzz
06-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Loved Elizabet Chadwick and I think I will check out more of her books.