PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Hannahclear
07-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Ever tried Elizabeth Chadwick novels? Try "A Place Beyond Courage", "The Greatest Knight", or "The Scarlet Lion". Her other books are pretty good too.

Hmmm, they looked a little too romanacy for me, but through the links on Amazon, I found out that Anne Easter Smith and Margaret George have new novels out covering the War of the Roses/Tudor period, so thanks!

PrincessLeppard
07-12-2011, 01:04 AM
Give me lusty sex, or if no sex, a thriller, if no thriller, a deftly plotted mystery, or if none of the above, make it funny. Rarely, I get all 4 in one book, but I settle for one out of four. The latest Pendergast by Lincoln and Childs comes out the first week of August. They give me two out of four. I'm wondering if we might, just might get some sex from this one as apparently Pendergasts long-dead wife may not be dead after all. But, I'll settle for two and three and just let my imagination go with one.

I just got River Dream. Is it any good?

They DO make men for that, ya know. :2faced:

:cheer:

It's not, um, guaranteed, though. You could get a dud.

rfisher
07-12-2011, 01:09 AM
I just got River Dream. Is it any good?

It's not, um, guaranteed, though. You could get a dud.

You mean Fever Dream. It's excellent. Pendergast is back to his :kickass self. It is the first of a trilogy. The book coming in August is the 2nd.

Grannyfan
07-12-2011, 01:29 AM
Have ordered these three: Before I Go to Sleep, Doc, and Johnny One-Eye; a Tale of the American Revolution. I've read comments about the first one in this thread, but the other two just sounded good to me. I'm especially looking forwrd to Doc, a novel based on the life of Doc Holliday. Apparently the real man was quite different from Hollywood's version. I guess that's not surprising.

Matryeshka
07-12-2011, 03:14 AM
I need something good to read! I like historical fiction, but read it too much. I also like fluffy, but not too fluffy contemporary novels. Anyone have any recs?

I'm sure Jodi Piccoult has some new literary travesty offering for you to try. :saint:

Southpaw
07-12-2011, 04:47 AM
A 95 cent version of CANDIDE has ruined my plans with JANE EYRE. These cheapie PD ebooks make me feel like I'm playing nickel slots or like I'm shopping in the dollar store.

galaxygirl
07-12-2011, 04:50 AM
I finally got library books to work on my Nook. I swear to God, I'd rather clean the toilet every day for the next two years than set up software from Adobe again. Mainly because the documentation sucks. I spend half my time at work googling stuff because the documentation for the software I use sucks, but at least I'm getting paid for it.

ObBooks: I'm reading Destiny Disrupted: A History of the World Through Islamic Eyes by Tamim Ansary. It's very enlightening.

I'm sure Jodi Piccoult has some new literary travesty offering for you to try. :saint:

Ugghh!! I read one of her books, don't remember the title. Not once, but TWICE, some dingleberry interrupted court proceedings to serve everyone baked goods. Seriously??

Prancer
07-12-2011, 05:03 AM
I finally got library books to work on my Nook. I swear to God, I'd rather clean the toilet every day for the next two years than set up software from Adobe again.

The good news is that once it's downloaded, you don't have to worry about it again.

The bad news is that as you build your library, it gets slower and slower and slower. And sometimes books kind of "hang up" and have to be deleted repeatedly, even though they aren't really there any more. There will come a day when you will realize that a library book you haven't had in months is taking an eternity to load, and then producing an error message, even though you've deleted the thing a dozen times.

Otherwise, it works very well and is a great way to keep track of your borrowed and downloaded-from-non-B&N-sources books, but it really drags when you get 100 books or so.

Spinner
07-12-2011, 06:45 AM
a thriller, if no thriller, a deftly plotted mystery
Then you NEED to read Before I Go to Sleep (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9736930-before-i-go-to-sleep). It's SJ Watson's debut novel, and so effing good! :eek:

Buzz
07-12-2011, 06:47 AM
Six hours and fourteen minutes to go! :cheer2:

Lanie
07-12-2011, 08:02 AM
A 95 cent version of CANDIDE has ruined my plans with JANE EYRE. These cheapie PD ebooks make me feel like I'm playing nickel slots or like I'm shopping in the dollar store.

Candide made me laugh so hard. I was so glad I read it for a history course.

rfisher
07-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Then you NEED to read Before I Go to Sleep (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9736930-before-i-go-to-sleep). It's SJ Watson's debut novel, and so effing good! :eek:

I had to order it. The stupid store didn't have it in stock. It should be here this week.

galaxygirl
07-12-2011, 01:53 PM
The good news is that once it's downloaded, you don't have to worry about it again.

The bad news is that as you build your library, it gets slower and slower and slower. And sometimes books kind of "hang up" and have to be deleted repeatedly, even though they aren't really there any more. There will come a day when you will realize that a library book you haven't had in months is taking an eternity to load, and then producing an error message, even though you've deleted the thing a dozen times.

Otherwise, it works very well and is a great way to keep track of your borrowed and downloaded-from-non-B&N-sources books, but it really drags when you get 100 books or so.

That sounds like a pain. Have you tried deleting the books by hand using Windows Explorer? You'll have to delete the thumbnails as well. There's always the possibility that you'll mess things up, but I think all you'll have to do in that case is delete the My Digital Editions folder. Further investigation via Google may be required...

Hannahclear
07-12-2011, 02:51 PM

Right, I forgot about her. It's been at least six weeks, so there should be something. The last one I read was Handle with Care, which was all kinds of stupid potboiler fun.

IceAlisa
07-12-2011, 06:54 PM
I've been reading Oracle Bones which I find intersting and engaging patchwork of life in modern China. However, it's a bit too heavy to lug around so today I have with me A Severed Head that I'd left off in the middle a few weeks ago.
Well, I picked it up again and boy, did we get into some twists and turns of the plot. :eek: