PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

oleada
07-07-2011, 03:21 PM
I really liked This Is Where I Leave You. Want to read more by Tropper. Right now I am starting JCO's Expensive People. She knows how to bring the crazy! :D

I just finished it too! It was hilarious. I nearly peed my pants laughing in the subway when they overhear the older brother and his wife have sex over the baby monitor. I had to bite my cheek from keep from laughing at the SSA office.

IceAlisa
07-07-2011, 03:28 PM
I just finished it too! It was hilarious. I nearly peed my pants laughing in the subway when they overhear the older brother and his wife have sex over the baby monitor. I had to bite my cheek from keep from laughing at the SSA office.

Yes, there were many LOL moments. Also, many truly sad ones as well. Sadness was buried in every joke and vice versa. The perfect Yin and Yang of a novel.

Wyliefan
07-07-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm currently drowning in YA novels, having started a Web page to review them. Surprisingly, it's turning out to be great fun -- that is, even when the novels are stupid (which a few of them are), the reading and reviewing is fun! :) Suggestions are welcome, though my team and I among us are already covering most of the currently hot series. I'm reading the Fallen series, the Hush, Hush series, and the Mortal Instruments series at the moment (I know there's a follow-up series to that, but I wanted to start with the original). And I have The Summer of Firsts and Lasts, Cosmic, and The Replacement coming up.

oleada
07-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Yeah, that's what I really liked about it.

Artemis@BC
07-07-2011, 07:24 PM
I'm now reading One Day on my nook. I didn't know about it until Goodreads started promoting the movie (shows how much I keep up with bestsellers). It turns out my library had the book as an e-book. I haven't gotten very far into it (laundry and movie watching) so I can't say a lot. From the little I have read, I think I'm already going to like Emma and Dexter.

I loved, loved, loved One Day! I'm trying to remain optimistic about the movie. Jim Sturgess is :swoon: and a great choice for Dexter, but although I like Anne Hathaway, I don't think she's right for Emma. But we'll see.

I'm currently about 1/4 into Bossypants, and frankly a little disappointed. For starters, I thought it was going to be more along the lines of "humorous essays" rather than an autobiography -- I don't really do biographies. But mostly expected it to be LOL hilarious, and it's really only mildly funny. Oh well, I shall perservere.

pair mom
07-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Feeling exactly the same Artemis@BC....thinking she might save all her humourous writing for sitcoms and SNL! Very disappointed so far.....

Prancer
07-07-2011, 08:01 PM
I really liked This Is Where I Leave You. Want to read more by Tropper.

I keep reading that this is his best book, which makes me afraid to read the others; I don't want to be disappointed. :shuffle:

I'm currently drowning in YA novels, having started a Web page to review them. Surprisingly, it's turning out to be great fun -- that is, even when the novels are stupid (which a few of them are), the reading and reviewing is fun! :) Suggestions are welcome, though my team and I among us are already covering most of the currently hot series.

Are you only reading YA series fiction or are you going to review some standalones, too?

I'm reading The Hate List (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/hate-list-jennifer-brown/1015296794?ean=9780316041454&itm=1&usri=the%2bhate%2blist).

Erin
07-07-2011, 10:03 PM
I'm currently about 1/4 into Bossypants, and frankly a little disappointed. For starters, I thought it was going to be more along the lines of "humorous essays" rather than an autobiography -- I don't really do biographies.

:lol: and I was expecting it to be more of a straight autobiography and less a random collection of stories in her life. But I agree on it being mildly funny as opposed to totally hilarious...although I will still workship the ground that Tina Fey walks on.

FiveRinger
07-07-2011, 10:45 PM
I really liked This Is Where I Leave You. Want to read more by Tropper. Right now I am starting JCO's Expensive People. She knows how to bring the crazy! :D

I downloaded this onto my kindle a few weeks ago......I just finished The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly. I liked The Lincoln Lawyer better, but it was still good. You guys have inspired me to read this next!

Spinner
07-07-2011, 11:06 PM
I just got an advanced copy of Neal Stephenson's Reamde (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10552338-reamde).
That is all :D

IceAlisa
07-08-2011, 01:56 AM
I keep reading that this is his best book, which makes me afraid to read the others; I don't want to be disappointed. :shuffle:

I hear ya. Has anyone read his other works?

rfisher
07-08-2011, 02:10 AM
I just finished Everything Changes; also funny and sad at the same time. It was his first novel.

IceAlisa
07-08-2011, 02:13 AM
Thanks, I will check it out. :)

RockTheTassel
07-08-2011, 02:24 AM
I'm currently drowning in YA novels

:) Suggestions are welcome.

If I Stay by Gayle Forman
Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
The Disrepuatble History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Patterson
When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini
A Note of Madness by Tabitha Suzuma
What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell
Anything by John Green
Anything by Sarah Dessen

I'd love to check out your web page, if you post the link. :)

jen_faith
07-08-2011, 02:36 AM
So now's a bad time to mention that A Discovery of Witches started out fascinating and compelling but devolved into dreck and then didn't end? :shuffle:

The review linked in the "books about witches" thread was kinda spot on. Wish I'd read it before wasting a day reading the book.

Absolutely agree. Started off well and then....fizzled into typical romantic-fantasy :blah: