PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Spinner
07-06-2011, 05:11 AM
The Giver is an amazing book.

I'm reading "In the Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larson. (Larsen?) Super interesting, and they just got to Germany! The daughter is quite a woman. Carl Sandburg wrote her poetry and sent her locks of his hair. :lol:

I didn't know there were zombies in that book. :P

And I'm not used to you reading such heavy non-fiction. He did a speaking/signing at my store. Very nice man, funny too. Have you read anything else by him? Folks here in Chicago rave (obviously) about his Devil in the White City (set in Chicago).

PrincessLeppard
07-06-2011, 05:39 AM
I teach a Holocaust Lit class, bint! :P. And, no, I haven't read any of his other stuff.

Buzz
07-06-2011, 02:05 PM
A Crime So Monstrous - E. Benjamin Skinner. Perhaps a does a reality will get my mind off my wait for ADWD. :D

Southpaw
07-07-2011, 12:26 AM
I was supposed to meet my friend at 9am today. But I overslept so I was a little late. All because I couldn't tear my face out of my Nook (aka Prancey) last nite. He was with me in B&N when I bought it and he refused to have anything to do with my purchase because he is anti-tech so he hid in the magazine section while I committed wicked deeds with the Nook salesman. So I showed up late this morning and said sorry dude, but I couldn't put that Nook down last night and he was all like :rolleyes: because he just cannot believe that such a little gadget could have such powerz. But it does.

rfisher
07-07-2011, 01:43 AM
I've had A Discovery of Witches for a couple of months and didn't get past the first two pages. I'd actually put it in my car intending to return it to Borders. Today I had to wait for the groomer to finish the dogs so I started reading. Now, I'm hooked. Except I have to constantly remind myself not every author who writes about witches will do so according to Potterverse. Although I think there should be a rule that they do.

genevieve
07-07-2011, 01:43 AM
All because I couldn't tear my face out of my Nook (aka Prancey) last nite.
This is kind of a disturbing sentence :shuffle:

I finally finished Beauty Queens last night. It was an easy read, a quirky (in a good way) premise, and rather fun, but it was an inexplicable drag to get through. I read some reviews on Goodreads last night that expressed the same frustrations.

Next up: Going Bovine, by the same author (Libba Bray). I was feeling a bit skeptical after I just rid myself of one of her books, but I soooooo love her Gemma Doyle series and this book's been out a while and has gotten generally good reviews so I'm taking my chances. I'm only about 30 pages in and I already like it better than BQ.

TygerLily
07-07-2011, 01:47 AM
So now's a bad time to mention that A Discovery of Witches started out fascinating and compelling but devolved into dreck and then didn't end? :shuffle:

The review linked in the "books about witches" thread was kinda spot on. Wish I'd read it before wasting a day reading the book.

Grannyfan
07-07-2011, 02:06 AM
I didn't know there were zombies in that book. :P

And I'm not used to you reading such heavy non-fiction. He did a speaking/signing at my store. Very nice man, funny too. Have you read anything else by him? Folks here in Chicago rave (obviously) about his Devil in the White City (set in Chicago).

I finished In the Garden of Beasts not long ago and have also read three of his others: The Devil in the White City, Thunderstruck, and Isaac's Storm. I absolutely loved all of them. They read like novels, and they're full of interesting trivia. Devil and Thunderstruck involve crimes, but honestly it's the rest of their stories that I found the most fascinating.

rfisher
07-07-2011, 02:39 AM
So now's a bad time to mention that A Discovery of Witches started out fascinating and compelling but devolved into dreck and then didn't end? :shuffle:

The review linked in the "books about witches" thread was kinda spot on. Wish I'd read it before wasting a day reading the book.

Now you tell me. :rolleyes: :lol: Oh, well. Dreck is good.

TygerLily
07-07-2011, 02:47 AM
Sorry. :shuffle: I was seriously going to post this earlier but wasn't sure if I should confess that I read the whole thing!

Lanie
07-07-2011, 02:47 AM

I read that as "devolved into crack" and I was thinking, "Whoa! What sort of book is that?"

TygerLily
07-07-2011, 03:13 AM
:lol: Maybe that version would have been better!

Nomad
07-07-2011, 05:01 AM
The Willow Cabin was good but could have been better. For some reason I had a real problem with the fact that the heroine kept sabotaging what might have been a great career for the sake of a dead-end relationship.

Currently reading Lolly Willowes by Sylvia Townsend Warner and am wondering if this where Updike (was it John Updike?) got the idea for The Witches of Eastwick. It's quirky and witty and reminds me a bit of Barbara Comyns' novels.

modern_muslimah
07-07-2011, 03:13 PM
I finished Something Borrowed. It was a page turner and I mostly liked it but the ending left something to be desired. It felt too neat and let the protagonist off the hook for sleeping with her best friend's fiance. It's a good summer read though.

I'm now reading One Day on my nook. I didn't know about it until Goodreads started promoting the movie (shows how much I keep up with bestsellers). It turns out my library had the book as an e-book. I haven't gotten very far into it (laundry and movie watching) so I can't say a lot. From the little I have read, I think I'm already going to like Emma and Dexter.

IceAlisa
07-07-2011, 03:18 PM
I really liked This Is Where I Leave You. Want to read more by Tropper. Right now I am starting JCO's Expensive People. She knows how to bring the crazy! :D