PDA

View Full Version : A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

flyingsit
07-02-2011, 09:39 PM
I just finished Never Let Me Go and I've never read a book that was so beautifully written and so creepy at the same time.

rfisher
07-02-2011, 09:52 PM
You need to have a book talk with my mom--she has the exact same opnions on both Alexander McCall and MC Beaton.

I lurrrve Precious and co., and it's a nice respite from mysteries that try to be overly cutesy or overly grim just for the sake of being cutesy and grim. What I love about that series is that I really want to imagine that really IS Botswana and those people DO exist. While I read many, many, many books I like, there are very few that give the same sense of peace and all-is-right feeling. You just feel good reading them.

You really should listen to the audio books if you haven't. You learn how to pronounce all the names. :lol: I like to think there's a Speedy Motors there on Tlokweng Road with Mr. J.L.B Matekoni's feet sticking out from under a car. Every time I drink red bush tea, I think of Mma Ramotswe. :)

I got Bones of a Feather today. :cheer2: It's Carolyn Haines latest Sarah Booth Delaney. I wish Carolyn would dump Griff and let Harold move to the forefront. I told her that a couple of years ago and she hinted that it could happen. But, alas not yet.

Nomad
07-02-2011, 11:03 PM
My VMC edition of The Sheik arrived this afternoon. I'm sorely tempted to put aside The Willow Cabin so I can reread such deathless lines as "'Oh, you brute! you brute!' she wailed, until his kisses silenced her." :lol:

Matryeshka
07-03-2011, 04:33 AM
Isn't The Sheik considered the world's first romance novel? I'm very curious to hear how that turns out, and if there are phrases like "velvet steel."

Spinner
07-03-2011, 07:14 AM
Anyone ever read Doris Lessing's The Golden Notebook (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-golden-notebook-doris-lessing/1002941322?ean=9780060931407&itm=1&usri=the%2bgolden%2bnotebook)? I heard about it today and it sounds quite interesting.

Prancer
07-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Anyone ever read Doris Lessing's The Golden Notebook?

Are you taking women's studies?:P

Southpaw
07-03-2011, 02:21 PM
I was thinking about the new b&w Nook (which looks like it was made for kids and/or seniors that are technologically illiterate, but I digress...)

I've been thinking about a Nook which surprises me because I'm pretty anti-tech, but SO many book people I know whose opinions I actually trust love these gadgets. So I'm going to buy one. A techie friend told me to get this new baby Nook so I'm going to check it out today. He said the book gadgets got him reading again. Admittedly I've been in quite a reading slump and it's because I have difficulty reading the type in most paperback books. I have an easier time reading hardcovers, but I can't be lugging hardcovers around. I think a book gadget is going to be the way to go for me. And this new Nook has anti-flashing tech so that's a big selling point for me.

Gah. My eyes. They're old.

IceAlisa
07-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Am loving This Is Where I Leave You! Hysterically funny and touching at the same time.

modern_muslimah
07-03-2011, 04:48 PM
I've been thinking about a Nook which surprises me because I'm pretty anti-tech, but SO many book people I know whose opinions I actually trust love these gadgets. So I'm going to buy one. A techie friend told me to get this new baby Nook so I'm going to check it out today. He said the book gadgets got him reading again. Admittedly I've been in quite a reading slump and it's because I have difficulty reading the type in most paperback books. I have an easier time reading hardcovers, but I can't be lugging hardcovers around. I think a book gadget is going to be the way to go for me. And this new Nook has anti-flashing tech so that's a big selling point for me.

I have the old b&w nook and I love it! You should get one. It's great having a library of books with you on the go and it does make reading easier. I still read paper books that I brought before I got the nook and ones from the library but I definitely notice the difference. With the nook I can just curl up on the couch and have the nook resting on my legs. Plus, the new nook is really light so I'm sure it's even easier to read.

The only possible draw back to the new nook is that although it only flashes every six pages there appears to be more ghosting as a result.

I'm currently reading Something Borrowed in addition to N&S and I'm surprised that so far I really like it. I saw it at the library and it just grabbed my attention. I started it yesterday and got about 60 pages in. The story is definitely a page turner and I really like the narrator even though she initially seemed a bit self absorbed. However, I definitely empathize with her even if I don't agree with her sleeping with her best friend's fiance.

galaxygirl
07-03-2011, 05:38 PM

I love the fact that you can change the line spacing. That's what makes it hard for me to read a lot of 'real' books--the line spacing is too narrow. Especially when the text is too large. A smaller font with 1.5 line spacing is just about perfect for me.

I need to find out if I can download a book to both my Nook and my phone. That would be very handy.

rfisher
07-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Am loving This Is Where I Leave You! Hysterically funny and touching at the same time.

You'll like Everything changes then. I started with it and am going to get his other books next.

Erin
07-03-2011, 05:46 PM
I just finished Never Let Me Go and I've never read a book that was so beautifully written and so creepy at the same time.

I read it last fall and would agree with this description. I never quite knew what to make of it. I would kind of like to see the movie, but I'm afraid it would just have the creepiness without the wonderful writing.

I really want to read Ishiguro's The Remains of the Day (and stumbled on to Never Let Me Go when looking for it) but the Sony store keeps saying it's unavailable and Chapters doesn't seem to have any of Ishiguro's books even listed. :mad: I may have to suck it up and get a paper version.

Prancer
07-03-2011, 07:36 PM

:D As soon as you said you were going to read it, I thought, "She is going to die laughing when they start sitting shiva."

You'll like Everything changes then. I started with it and am going to get his other books next.

I am having a hard time tracking some of his books down, but I'm trying to get them all, too.

Southpaw
07-03-2011, 11:29 PM
OK, I got the Nook and I'm christening it with that post-Soviet book that Prancer is yapping about. My friend was with me when I bought it and he's very old-fashioned and anti-gadget and he said he's going to kick me down the block if he finds out in a year that I'm not using it. :lol:

rfisher
07-03-2011, 11:36 PM
It'll probably be obsolete in a year. That's why Prancy is using her :EVILLE: influence to make us buy them now.