PDA

View Full Version : Little Gems from Prince Philip...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

NancyNC
06-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Maybe, but these comments are not a lot different than he made in his prime - just not so publicized.

He grew up in a different era but never learned that the world changed.

Actually, if you look at the dates of these comments, quite a few date back to the 1960's, so he would have been in his prime then (and still without a filter...).

MacMadame
06-15-2011, 10:17 PM
I do remember Princess Di making a quote that someone in the royal family would have to "marry a black Catholic girl" just to take the spotlight off of her. But she did such a good job with people with AIDS, and publicizing the dangers of land mines in Angola and other places in Africa....I'm torn. It's sad if Harry makes slurs like that.
I'm confused. I don't see any slurs. Neither Black nor Catholic is a slur.

But I will say that despite its inaccuracies I really love the Disney version of this tale. I particularly love their Frollo. Instead of a purple-skinned sea witch or an evil lion they presented a xenophobic, self-loathing bigot. Not as fully developed as the book character (I totally love him in the book, he's so twisted and human at the same time) but still, markedly realistic for Disney. And he had the best villain song of all-time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyS3weMlxLA) (and the least appropriate - how the hell do you explain this song to a child??)

I guess it's more accurate to say that I flove this movie. I also adore the '39 version, despite its inaccuracies as well. Maureen O'Hara is just lovely.
I agree on both movies. I think Disney did a good job of capturing the spirit of the story while updating it to be more satisfying to a modern audience.

Rex
06-16-2011, 07:35 PM
I'm confused. I don't see any slurs. Neither Black nor Catholic is a slur.
But to many observers of the royal family, it would be considered a no-no to marry either a black person or a Catholic.

IceAlisa
06-16-2011, 07:47 PM
But to many observers of the royal family, it would be considered a no-no to marry either a black person or a Catholic.

Not to mention, to some royal family members themselves.

MacMadame
06-16-2011, 08:58 PM
Yes, but pointing this out doesn't make someone racist. Pointing out racism is not the same thing as being a racist.

Wyliefan
06-16-2011, 10:05 PM
I agree. I don't think she was saying it would be an awful thing to marry a black Catholic girl. I think she was simply saying that there were people, even in this day and age, who would find it shocking.

cygnus
06-16-2011, 11:46 PM
Not to mention, to some royal family members themselves.

But the fact that members of the royal family cannot marry Roman Catholics and remain in the line of succession is not a rule made by the royal family themselves, but was imposed on them after 1688 when James ll was kicked out and confirmed with the Hanoverian succession on the 1700s. Parliament will not allow a monarch to reign who is Roman Catholic. This law was the culmination of several centuries of religious conflict and at the time there were probably good reasons for it (such as memories of Mary 1st's reign and interference from the French monarchs). It is much more complex than that, but it reamins in force today. I'm sure that most members of the royal family think it is obsolete and silly in this day and age, but the law is not theirs, but parliament's.