PDA

View Full Version : Little Gems from Prince Philip...

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Rex
06-14-2011, 07:29 PM
You could say the same thing about most Disney cartoons too, though. At least the older ones, for sure. The villians usually had skin at least a shade or two darker than the hero(ine).

Don't even get me started on them....talk about revisionist history.

skatingfan5
06-14-2011, 07:37 PM
You could say the same thing about most Disney cartoons too, though. At least the older ones, for sure. The villians usually had skin at least a shade or two darker than the hero(ine).

Don't even get me started on them....talk about revisionist history.I'm having a hard time remembering any "villains" of any shade in Disney cartoons. Does Scrooge McDuck count as one? Same thing for them having any history content. Of course, I always was more of a Looney Toons fan than a follower of Mickey and his friends (I did like Chip and Dale, though). Some of the old 1930's and 40's cartoons were definitely racially/ethnically offensive. :yikes:

nubka
06-14-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm having a hard time remembering any "villains" of any shade in Disney cartoons. Does Scrooge McDuck count as one? Same thing for them having any history content. Of course, I always was more of a Looney Toons fan than a follower of Mickey and his friends (I did like Chip and Dale, though). Some of the old 1930's and 40's cartoons were definitely racially/ethnically offensive. :yikes:

Well, Ursula the Sea Witch has purple skin! :D

skatingfan5
06-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Well, Ursula the Sea Witch has purple skin! :DDuh, Disney "cartoons" brought to my mind all those Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, etc. shorts. I didn't think of the Disney animated features, which did have a lot of villains ... of which, there seemed to be an over-supply of evil females (nasty stepmothers and step sisters, evil queens and angry fairies, puppy-murdering fashionistas). Lots of bad, bad (older) women. And Pocahontas didn't follow history very well, did it. :shuffle:

IceAlisa
06-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Well, The Little Mermaid didn't follow cannon either. :shuffle:

skatingfan5
06-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Well, The Little Mermaid didn't follow cannon either. :shuffle:There was a cannon?!?! :P Disney's "princess" stories all took liberties with the source material -- some much more than others. But I didn't consider Andersen's tales to be history, whereas Pocahontas purported to have some basis in fact.

mkats
06-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Or The Hunchback of Notre Dame. :P But there was pretty much no way to make that story G-rated and stick close to the original storyline...

Wyliefan
06-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Wonder if Joe Biden (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13757367/ns/politics/t/biden-explains-indian-american-remarks/) is a long-lost royal.

IceAlisa
06-14-2011, 11:20 PM
There was a cannon?!?! :P Disney's "princess" stories all took liberties with the source material -- some much more than others. But I didn't consider Andersen's tales to be history, whereas Pocahontas purported to have some basis in fact.

Whoops, overly generous with the N's today. :shuffle: Andersen tales aren't history. Canon implies that they are the original text and source.

skatingfan5
06-14-2011, 11:25 PM
Whoops, overly generous with the N's today. :shuffle: Andersen tales aren't history. Canon implies that they are the original text and source.Yes, I know what "canon" means. I thought your post about the Little Mermaid was in response to my comment about Pocahontas, which was in reference to Rex's ire about revisionist history in Disney cartoons. Sorry for misunderstanding.

IceAlisa
06-14-2011, 11:30 PM
No problem and sorry for misspelling. :)

I've never seen Pocahontas by Disney. What did they get wrong? (I am almost afraid to ask)

Rex
06-14-2011, 11:44 PM
No problem and sorry for misspelling. :)

I've never seen Pocahontas by Disney. What did they get wrong? (I am almost afraid to ask)

Read this article... (http://whoosh.org/films/reviews/pocahontas.html)

skatingfan5
06-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Read this article... (http://whoosh.org/films/reviews/pocahontas.html)
Yet it {Disney's Pocahontas] has become part of elementary school curricula across the country,If this statement from that 2002 article was/is true, then :yikes: and :scream: but mainly :( for the children.

michiruwater
06-15-2011, 03:44 AM
Or The Hunchback of Notre Dame. :P But there was pretty much no way to make that story G-rated and stick close to the original storyline...

Killing off all the main characters probably would have upset the children.

But I will say that despite its inaccuracies I really love the Disney version of this tale. I particularly love their Frollo. Instead of a purple-skinned sea witch or an evil lion they presented a xenophobic, self-loathing bigot. Not as fully developed as the book character (I totally love him in the book, he's so twisted and human at the same time) but still, markedly realistic for Disney. And he had the best villain song of all-time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyS3weMlxLA) (and the least appropriate - how the hell do you explain this song to a child??)

I guess it's more accurate to say that I flove this movie. I also adore the '39 version, despite its inaccuracies as well. Maureen O'Hara is just lovely.

Civic
06-15-2011, 06:29 AM
He sounds like a thoroughly unpleasant man. :blah:
He was quite good looking in his youth. The Queen wouldn't be the first woman who overlooked jerk behavior because the guy was hot.