PDA

View Full Version : Little Gems from Prince Philip...

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

milanessa
06-11-2011, 01:32 AM
Actually, with age on occasion the gradual destruction of the brain function may lead to a weakened or in some cases, an obliterated social filter.

Maybe, but these comments are not a lot different than he made in his prime - just not so publicized.

He grew up in a different era but never learned that the world changed.

overedge
06-11-2011, 01:57 AM
He grew up in a different era but never learned that the world changed.

^^^This. I very well remember some of my older British relatives making racial and ethnic comments that made me and my cousins go :eek:. And it wasn't because they were starting to go senile, or because they were going to do something like run out and burn down the houses of people in those racial or ethnic groups. That was how they grew up talking about those racial and ethnic groups.

Apparently unlike Prince Philip, however, they were willing to listen when we would explain to them how wrong it was to use those words now, and they would refrain from doing so when we asked them to.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
06-11-2011, 03:47 AM
I read somewhere where he and the late Princess Margaret used to trade racist jokes to one another. The Queen Mum made her share of comments too. Wish I could remember where I read this; I was living in San Diego at the time.

That's not the only time I've heard that members of the Royal family have made racist comments. It continues to bug me that because people think he's hot Prince Harry's racial comments are overlooked/ignored. Even as much as I was a Diana fan during her heyday she, Prince Charles, Fergie and Andrew aren't exactly innocent in that respect.

There is a chapter from Diana, Her True Story that describes the aftermath of an avalanche during one of the Royal skiing vacations in Switzerland that took the life of Charles' friend Major Hugh Lindsay. Diana was described as packing the late Major's belongs to send to his wife. The suitcase included the outfit and wig he wore the previous evening when he did his "hilarous" Al Jolson imitation. :blah:

While the people present may not have outwardly made racist comments, It bugged me that they would find an Al Jolson imitation "hilarious."

milanessa
06-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Nope, and I don't think that my opinion on the matter makes me a bad person.

I never said it did. I'm just surprised.

MacMadame
06-11-2011, 09:08 PM
I think a lot of this stuff depends on context, context that was not given in the article. I can see many of the comments being offensive if said one way in one context but hysterically funny if said another way in another context.

Rex
06-11-2011, 10:23 PM
That's not the only time I've heard that members of the Royal family have made racist comments. It continues to bug me that because people think he's hot Prince Harry's racial comments are overlooked/ignored. Even as much as I was a Diana fan during her heyday she, Prince Charles, Fergie and Andrew aren't exactly innocent in that respect.

There is a chapter from Diana, Her True Story that describes the aftermath of an avalanche during one of the Royal skiing vacations in Switzerland that took the life of Charles' friend Major Hugh Lindsay. Diana was described as packing the late Major's belongs to send to his wife. The suitcase included the outfit and wig he wore the previous evening when he did his "hilarous" Al Jolson imitation. :blah:

While the people present may not have outwardly made racist comments, It bugged me that they would find an Al Jolson imitation "hilarious."

That family has more issues than Kleenex has tissues...

screech
06-13-2011, 07:16 AM
As far as the youngest princes the only thing I'm aware of is Harry's wearing of a Nazi uniform to a costume party.

I recall reading shortly after the incident that Harry was tossed between multiple costumes and asked William for help in deciding, and it was William who told him he should go with the Nazi one.

More recently though, I recall reading something about a racist comment Harry made while serving with the military. It wasn't done in cruelty - it was just common language with the officers, and no offence was taken by those to whom the comment was made (though of course those who heard about it after the media mentioned it are another story), but Harry did make an official apology. I can't recall the exact comment though.

Andora
06-13-2011, 06:42 PM
While I don't condone some of his more racist or ignorant comments, I do give him some slack on some of them. Because really, nowadays people complain about everyone being so PC in their speech as to not offend someone. Prince Philip is not PC, and given his age, I doubt he will start any time soon. And although he could use a filter on some of his thoughts, I enjoy the fact that he says whatever comes into his head.

I will never understand what's wrong with being a little more thoughtful about the things we say. Is a joke worth it if it honestly offends someone? How is being considerate of others with what you say a bad thing? I often find the crowd that claims "we're too PC these days!" feel that way until their demographic is made fun of. Then suddenly people are being offensive and ignorant.

Prince Philip is an old man who is most likely very ignorant. It's not okay, but it's almost expected of a man of such priviledge.

Wyliefan
06-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Actually, with age on occasion the gradual destruction of the brain function may lead to a weakened or in some cases, an obliterated social filter. I think that was the case with Helen Thomas and her infamous Jews remark.

Well then, her brain's gone really weak, because she keeps doing it. It wasn't a one-time thing.

mkats
06-13-2011, 10:47 PM
More recently though, I recall reading something about a racist comment Harry made while serving with the military. It wasn't done in cruelty - it was just common language with the officers, and no offence was taken by those to whom the comment was made (though of course those who heard about it after the media mentioned it are another story), but Harry did make an official apology. I can't recall the exact comment though.

IIRC he called one of his fellow Pakistani soldiers "our little Paki friend".

overedge
06-14-2011, 12:42 AM

He called him a "Paki" and said he looked "like a raghead".

I'm pretty sure that many of the other officers would realize that both of these are very offensive terms. And really, given that the military is very hierarchical, if your commanding officer is not only an officer but also a member of the Royal family, are you going to tell him you find his language offensive? Not expressing offense doesn't mean the person wasn't offended.

Jot the Dot Dot
06-14-2011, 10:40 AM
He sounds like a thoroughly unpleasant man. :blah:

Or acting as if reading lines from a British sitcom.

Rex
06-14-2011, 05:07 PM

I do remember Princess Di making a quote that someone in the royal family would have to "marry a black Catholic girl" just to take the spotlight off of her. But she did such a good job with people with AIDS, and publicizing the dangers of land mines in Angola and other places in Africa....I'm torn. It's sad if Harry makes slurs like that.

The Queen Mum allegedly called an Indian (or Pakistani) girl, a little "darkie" to her face. Princess Margaret was notorious for her dislike of Jews and Blacks.

And IIRC, when Fergie wrote her childrens' books, she was criticized for making all the villians dark-skinned. And we cannot forget Princess Michael of Kent, who supposedly got into a verbal hoohaa with some black Americans in a restaurant in the States a few years back. I know it was mentioned here before. She's pretty minor as far as royals go, but clearly, it's not a family known for its uber-PC-ness.

screech
06-14-2011, 05:59 PM
And IIRC, when Fergie wrote her childrens' books, she was criticized for making all the villians dark-skinned.

You could say the same thing about most Disney cartoons too, though. At least the older ones, for sure. The villians usually had skin at least a shade or two darker than the hero(ine).

Asli
06-14-2011, 07:15 PM
He sounds like a thoroughly unpleasant man. :blah:

ITA. It sounds like he despises everyone. :rolleyes:
Unfortunately most people can't despise him back because he is married to the Queen.
The only joke I find funny there is about his own science of putting his foot in his mouth.